PDA

View Full Version : Going to Elysium or Valhalla?

red5angel
04-11-2002, 02:07 PM
Well?

KC Elbows
04-11-2002, 02:18 PM
Dave ain't here, man.

IronFist
04-11-2002, 02:23 PM
Wtf?

it's Elysian, btw, I think.

IronFist

red5angel
04-11-2002, 02:24 PM
Thanks Ironfist, wasnt paying attention.....

IronFist
04-11-2002, 02:25 PM
I just know cuz it's a Megadeth song. Elysian Fields.

Rock on.

IronFist

JWTAYLOR
Nowhere in any description of Elysium have I found horing.

The Viking "heaven" had wild feasts at night, where, just like here in Mithgard during their time, a warrior would "do battle" with a couple of fiery young wenches each night.

Pretty hard to beat that.

Mark me down for the Fire Fax Free and Frigg.

JWT

apoweyn
ellysium. i'd get fed up kicking the same arse (or getting my arse kicked by the same people) day in and day out. so valhalla's out.

besides, if you go by the older norse myths, the valkyries aren't anything you ever want to meet. they got spruced up somewhere along the line, apparently. shortly after asgard hired a consultant to help them "improve client satisfaction." the result was what we'd all expected. hire beautiful people.

ooh, hang on. my intravenous paxil drip seems to have fallen out... ah, that's better.

where was i?

stuart

red5angel
04-11-2002, 02:27 PM
LOL @ Ap!

JWT - Do texans die? If they do do they go anywhere or do thier souls stay in Texas?

KC Elbows
04-11-2002, 02:51 PM
Texans have souls?

That should get the rioting started.

red5angel
04-11-2002, 02:56 PM
I lived in Lousiana for a while and I know for a fact they are harder to kill then a tick and harder to get rid of then a ****roach!

KC Elbows
04-11-2002, 03:01 PM
Are you talking about texans?

red5angel
04-11-2002, 03:03 PM
yep, or as they say in Texas, Yawp.

JasBourne
04-11-2002, 03:13 PM
Valhalla, Elysium, that's so yesterday.

Club DV8. Joe's Grill for after-hours. :D

red5angel
04-11-2002, 03:14 PM
Jasbourne, is that in Texas? ;)

joedoe
04-11-2002, 03:36 PM
I like how in Valhalla they get to kill the same pig every night and spit roast him!!! The next day the pig comes back to life and it starts all over again. The pig even has a name!!! :D

yenhoi
04-11-2002, 04:31 PM
Texans go back to spain when they die.

****ers.

HuangKaiVun
04-11-2002, 06:51 PM
Right here, right now.

That's how I live and enjoy life - despite the seemingly unending struggles I face.

Being happy all the time - that can be very bad for the health in its own way. Balance is good.

Budokan
04-11-2002, 07:05 PM
Valhalla for me. Once there I'm gonna start Ragnorak.

You know, it's a real shame we don't get to pick for ourselves. I really would pick Valhalla. I have more in common with those shades than I do those loaf around f*cks in Elysian.

Black Jack
04-11-2002, 07:06 PM
I am going to go to the Happy Hunting Grounds, and no that is not a gay place, its just happy.

straight blast
04-11-2002, 07:37 PM
Valhalla...the hall of heroes. Feasting, combat, wenching and mead. Definately Valhalla for me. I think that we're more likely to find Bruce Lee, Wong Fei Hung, etc. in Valhalla than lazing around in Elysium. I really would like to cross hands with Lee.

OT...has anyone here actually gotten drunk on mead? I have, and I know why the Vikings were such a rough bunch. It tastes good, and you feel like you can do anything after drinking it, even more so than Tequila. Mead rules!

See ya's in Valhalla

Mr Punch
04-12-2002, 01:22 AM
Straight Blast: Shouldn't that be Twisted Blast?! Mead is the gods' own drink. Made it meself, many times! The Norse used to use fly agaric in theirs, hence frothing at the mouth, chewing on their shields, changing into wolves and generally going berserk 'bare-headed' into battle.

Doesn't the pig that gets eaten into eternity contain the spirit of all dead Texans?:D

Aaaaaah Vaaahlhaaaahllhaaaaah!

Then DV8!

red5angel
04-12-2002, 06:44 AM
Actually a friend and I brew our own! ITs really really good, and you are very correct though.
Also, there is a local guy who brews my favorite mead of all Blood Mead!

GreyMystik
04-12-2002, 08:05 AM
texans don't die.

Sean the Black
04-12-2002, 08:13 AM
Valhalla!!

red5angel
04-12-2002, 08:20 AM
GreyMystik - I know, they just go to Austin to regroup right?!

Cool town Austin!

raving_limerick
04-12-2002, 08:41 AM
With my luck, I'll end up in the Pine Barrens after I die.:eek:

FatherDog
04-16-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by straight blast
I think that we're more likely to find Bruce Lee, Wong Fei Hung, etc. in Valhalla than lazing around in Elysium.

Actually, Lee couldn't be in Valhalla, as he didn't die in battle.

Valhalla is reserved, specifically, for warriors who've fallen valiantly in battle. They're picked up by the Valkyries and conveyed to Valhalla, where all they do is feast and fight (presumably to stay in practice) until Ragnarok, where they'll sally forth with Odin and the other Aesir to battle against the giants.

The Elysian fields, on the other hand, are part of the greek threefold division of the underworld. Souls who've particularly angered the gods go to Tartarus for eternal punishment. Souls who are not exceptional go to the fields of Asphodel, which is neither painful nor pleasant; a place of numbness and shadows. The Elysian fields were reserved for great heros and men and women who had pleased the gods and/or done great or notable deeds.

You could make a case for Bruce winding up in the Elysian fields, but not Valhalla; he died of illness in a hotel room, and simply doesn't qualify.

Of course, I doubt he worshipped either Odin or Zeus, so it's kind of a moot point. *grin*

FatherDog

qeySuS
04-16-2002, 02:11 PM
**** Fatherdog beat me to it.

Your very unlikely to find any modenr day martial artist there since you had to die in battle. Many warriors were very concerned about dying honorably.

For example Egill Skallagrímsson from "Egils Saga", he was IMO the greatest warrior ever (judging from the book of course, which is partially fiction), but he never lost challanges and was a great warrior, basicly he just didnt die, he was an old weak man by the end. He despertly tried to get to Valhalla by going to "Althingi" (the oldest parliment at least in europe) and throwing a BIG bag of gold over everyone to start a riot in the hopes of getting killed in the process of the battle. But he never got to it and in the end he buried it somewhere so his sons wouldnt inherit the gold (he was a bitter man).

Btw my uncle is kinda like the Bishop of Ásatrú (Norse beliefs) in Iceland, kinda cool stuff :) His title is Æðstigoði.

joedoe
04-16-2002, 04:23 PM
If you wanna read a series with some great Norse Mythology thrown in, read the Renshai series by Mickey Reichert Zucker. Not strictly true to mythology, but it uses it a lot and is a fantastic story.

Didn't the Romans also have something like Elysian?

raving_limerick
04-16-2002, 04:31 PM
I thought the Elysian Fields were Roman. They're mentioned quite explicitly in the Aeniad, if I remember right. It's around the tenth or eleventh book, when Aeneas goes down to Tartarus with the Sybil.

Speaking of kick-@ss warriors, has anyone read the tales of Cuchulainn and the Fenian warriors? Now those were some tough dudes as well!:cool:

joedoe
04-16-2002, 05:24 PM
I only mention the Romans because someone made mention of the Greeks.

qeySuS
04-16-2002, 06:52 PM
Toughest warrior of all times has to be Egill Skallagrímsson, he was so brutal.

And he wasnt your everyday hero either, they'r all described as some kind of adonis like guys that excelled in all sports and were all around nice guys that happened to be really good at fighting as well.

Egill Skallagrímsson was horribly ugly, to the point of being deformed, never had any luck with the women, he was very selfish and kept everything to himself while trying to suck everyone else dry, had chronic depression and was very inconsidderent of his friends and others.

HAVING SAID THAT! He also fought like a ****ing bull, he was once in a party and he learned that this one guy was gonna try and assasin him, what he did was that he puked up into the guys mouth and then killed him, then he started asking why everyone had suddenly stopped having fun (he wanted to keep on drinking and partying).

At another time he was dueling some swedish guy i think, and he had a spell on him which meant that he could not be hurt by blades (so even though Egill was hitting him all the time it was like hitting him with a dull blade). So he just jumps the guy and bites his adams apple out thus killing him.

THIS is why he's my favourite warrior of all times :) Not like this crap Icelandic Saga i'm reading now (Njálssaga) where all the heroes are built like greek gods and have a code of honor.

Stacey
04-16-2002, 07:22 PM
Keep em commin Qeysus, We don't hear enough Sagas.

They kick ass. How about some with some Ber Sarkers, or folks that change into bears to kick some ass.

Yeah!

Hey, how come Vikings were supposed to be Giants? Now we have the "Worlds strongest men" who are definately the modern version, but the rest of the scandinavians are pencil necked dweebs, whats up with that?

The Norweigians in my familly were pencil necked farmers. Taller, presbeterian types.

Stacey
04-16-2002, 07:23 PM
Lets get together for a double death Samurai style.

Better yet, get me a ticket to Sri Lanka/Afganistan/Venezuela/ or Iraq

Sharky
04-16-2002, 07:26 PM
the greeks were all a bunch of ho.mo's.

Starchaser107
04-16-2002, 07:31 PM
Call your people and I'll call my people and lets see if we can do both...also have those other people call thier peoples and see if we can strike up a deal with Coyaba and the land of milk and honey and eternal bliss in the cosmic Aum (Om)

Stacey
04-16-2002, 07:35 PM
They were also a bunch of oiled up boy buggers.

red_fists
04-16-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Stacey
They kick ass. How about some with some Ber Sarkers, or folks that change into bears to kick some ass.

I wanna see stacey fight "Barseark", naah, his toastrack chest would be too funny.

Berserk(barseark) litterally means "bare Arse" as the berseker used to fight in the nude with only a Shield and a Weapon.

It was done to show contempt for their enemies, by saying look I need no armour to beat you little quirk.

Gotta love History.

guohuen
04-16-2002, 07:37 PM
Both sound OK with me. On a lighter note do you know the difference between a coonass and a horse's ass? That would be the sabine river!:D

Sharky
04-16-2002, 07:38 PM
Lest we not forget the romans though. Julius Caesar - known as " Every womans husband and every man's wife "

Biotch.

red_fists
04-16-2002, 07:41 PM
Definately Elysium for me.

Think about it.

1 measly Pig for all those hungry warriors.

:( :(

diego
04-16-2002, 07:43 PM
What in gods name are you doing sharky, :D shouldnt you be calling a java hotline or something?

Stacey
04-16-2002, 07:46 PM
lol..

actually Bear Sark, (from multiple sources I have read) translates into bear shirt. Its debatable either way.

They would go into a fit and be indestructable, but would burn themselves out and have to sleep for a few days.. In some of the sagas they find the only way to kill them is to wait till they are "hibernating"

This ties into the ancient bear cults that are mysteriously uniform throughout paleolithic peoples.

They had similar rituals to the native americans such as the slain bear ceramonies. Bear with me, because I am embarassased, it must be the beer I am drinking. All of these words have bear for a rootword. Even childbearing had to do with ursula major. No kidding. Those ancients sagas hold keys to western thought and influenced us as much as judeo-christianity.

Sharky
04-16-2002, 07:51 PM
well done diego, you are well versed in quality hip hop.

ras is fu.cking racist though.

qeySuS
04-16-2002, 08:54 PM
well there is the Berserkur who go into a rage when fighting and go completely amock and fight like crazy, then there are those who are "Hamramir" which basicly means shapeshifters, like in Egils Saga.

Egils grandfather "Kveldúlfur" (nightwolf) turned into an animal when fighting, one time they were avenging soemthing to the king of norway and attacked a ship that belonged to him. By chance there were two nephews of the king there (around the age of 10), which normally wouldnt be killed in combat, but since he turned into an animal (literallY) and killed everything his path he didnt realize until after the fight that he had killed the kids.

It's actually kinda funny reading this Saga i'm reading now, it's written propably around 1200, and it's about events that happened 900-1100, and the guys are cussing each other all the time calling each other fa.gs and transvestites. There's this one guy that cant grow a beard so they'r always saying how effeminate he is and others get accused of wearing womens clothing regularly.

It's nice to see that the same insults were used 1000 yeras ago as are used today.

joedoe
04-16-2002, 09:13 PM
LOL @ qeysus. :D

I love the norse legend/mythology. Great stuff. ;)

joedoe
04-16-2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
Call your people and I'll call my people and lets see if we can do both...also have those other people call thier peoples and see if we can strike up a deal with Coyaba and the land of milk and honey and eternal bliss in the cosmic Aum (Om)

God and his band of archangels would kick your collective a$$es :D

diego
04-16-2002, 10:25 PM
you listen to the other track on his album, he all at 8 covered my skin in baking powder wanted to be white, cuz bo derek she a 10?
i think dudes just got issues, you said that before, whats your analysis, to preach your theory?.

Mr Punch
04-17-2002, 03:57 AM
Don't think 'berserk' means anything to do with bears. as qeysus says, two different things. personally i think the whole of northern european (mythological) tradition is based on magic mushrooms. beats those mediterranean decadent wino perverts like the ancient greeks and romans!!:eek:

just drink some fly agaric in your mead and then tell me what animals your enemies start turning into!!!:D

also see how much you froth at the mouth and don7t mind running round bollock-nekkid for a fight...!:eek:

think berserk comes from 'bare-headed' (sark=head? Qeysus?).

love that mythos. how's njall coming on qeysus?

i liked it. egil was hardcore but i liked njall's martial/legal mix: the foundations of modern democracy (WE say it was in UK! but just look at the althing (sp!?))... i won't spoil the end for you but it really kicks off. jolly old blood feuds!:D

wasn't there a major bear-man in grettirsaga? i think grettir was even a bit more hardcore than egil, wasn't he? this is the man whom the later beowulf's fights were largely based on (though as it was all oral tradition first, i don't know which borrowed from which...): wrestling an ogre, his mother and a long-dead king. tolkien would have got nowhere without grettir. nails, man, pure nails.

grrrrr:mad: waiting for a flight delayed four hours. FOUR HOURS. i'll see valhalla yet...:mad: :mad:

JWTAYLOR
04-17-2002, 06:35 AM
Njall's Saga is bada$$. I've read it probabbly a dozen times. For years I used Skarp Hedin as my password on stuff.

JWT

Sean the Black
04-17-2002, 10:36 AM
I have heard mostly that bersark means "bear shirt" not bare. While some of them existed in this in a natural state, alot of them used an expideant of some sort..much like a modern psyco hoped up on PCP or opium....

Kristoffer
04-18-2002, 01:47 AM
bersark = Björnsark
Björnsark = bear shirt

------------
stacey is a little puny *****. I lknow many men who are HUGE, just so u know. Anyway, why the **** do I always miss these threads? :D It's like I'm always gone when u all start discussing asa-tro

Kristoffer
04-18-2002, 01:53 AM
I can clearly see the trace of 'viking behaviour' in modern people. Ravaging drunk, sex orgies, with bloody fights.. But still very calm, easy-going and layed-back. Kinda down'to'earth. I just think that generalising a whole races behaviour is pretty racist and/or stupid

peace

qeySuS
04-18-2002, 02:40 AM
Njálssaga is pretty cool, i just dont like the light and virtous characters it has (one of the main characters bears my name, Kári Sölmundarsson ;) ).

I just liked Egilssaga more because of it's dark nature, i know how the book ends (Njálssaga that is ) and all but i've only read until page 250 of 350.

Btw that book was the cause that the name "Mörður" (the main villain in the book) was almost NEVER (if ever) used until this century.

guohuen
04-18-2002, 07:15 AM
Ahhh!!! Nostalgia!:p :p :p

qeySuS
04-18-2002, 08:45 AM
I do agree JWT off all the characters Skarphéðinn is the coolest one :) He's kinda dark cynical guy, not always in the spotlight, but he follows the action and makes humerous comments from time to time (lots of one liners!). He's not the Gunnar or Kári kind of guy who is always thinking about being honorable and great, he just loves to fight and doesnt take crap.