PDA

View Full Version : Lau Gar outside the UK?

AndyM
04-11-2002, 02:33 PM
Hi Folks,

this is my first ever post on KFO so I hope this is a worthy topic.

OK, sorry if I am treading over old ground for anyone here. I have only been able to pick up snippets about Lau gar, here and there on this forum.

I have a lot of questions on Lau Gar, but I'd like to hear some input from people outside of the UK. China even!

I would appreciate any information you may have!

Thanks

Eddie
04-11-2002, 11:47 PM
Hi Andy,
I don't practice Lau Gar, but a few years back there was a guy here wo taught a few Lau Gar sets at a local Shaolin School. I later learned that this Sifu was a Hung Gar and CLF master, but somehow he also taught some Lau Gar (His name is Master Seng Au).

I picked up a Lau Gar fist form and a staff form from a friend who attened his classes. I havent practiced it for a long time, so I kind of lost it.

BTW - You know Tolkien was born in SA? Grew up in a really Sh$tty part of the country :)

AndyM
04-12-2002, 12:52 AM
Thanks Eddie,

The two forms you mention are part of the Hung Gar system, though I'm not sure if the 'Lau' bit stems from the same origin. I beleive some Lau Gar people in the UK have been adding those forms into their curriculum, but most schools simply aren't aware of them. Thanks though.

Interesting snippet on Tolkien. I've been to J'burg, and I know the areas of which you speak!

Anyone else?

AndyM

hughes
04-12-2002, 04:12 AM
Hey Andy in your profile it says you train wing chun as well, do you train WC in bellahouston? thats the only place i know of that does WC in Scotland, i haven't been able to check it out yet as i have exams looming.

Eddie
04-12-2002, 05:29 AM
Andy,
Thanks for the info on Lau Gar. How much different is your Lau Gar from the Lau Gar Kuen in the Hung Ga cirriculum? As I said, I kind of forgot the forms. At the moment, Im not so big into learning many different forms from different styles, just because I am trying to spend more time on my own basics. I have only heared that Lau Gar is very big in the UK.

I think I read somewhere that Tolkien was born and grew up in a city called Bloemfontein. Very much in a$$ side of the country. Although I have never been there, I have always just heared that its not a too cool place to live. Guess thats why he invented his own world :). Most of us read LOTR while either in school or varsity. Before the movie came out, one of my friends had this saying which wass pretty spot on "...if ever you are really bored at a Wits (one of the local Varsities) frat party, always remember to say something like, LOTR was probably written by a dope smoking alcholic. You will most deffinatly become the centre of attraction in a matter of seconds".

Where in Johies were you? Did you have time to visit some schools while you were here?

AndyM
04-12-2002, 12:51 PM
Thanks again guys,

Hughes,
there is a chap called Dennis Mulholland teaching WC just off Dumbarton road. He's ex Krause, but don't hold that against him. I'll see if I can dig out a contact number for you. I think the Bellahouston one you refer to is part of Samuel Kwoks organisation. Although I live in Scotland, I travel to Blackpool to take lessons with Sam. There is also A Sam Kwok in Edinburgh. Let me know what you are interested in once you are clear of the exams.

Eddie,
I started learning the fist form once, and it just seems like a completely different stylr to what we have in the UK. All the UK Lau Gar forms are distinctly different. One is like Wing Chun, one is like Hung Gar, one is like Tai Chi Chuan etc.

I went to SA on a business trip. Shot the rapids on White River, went tracking the big *****cats in Kampala, and chilled in J'Berg. I didn't catch any arts, as I only had five days.

Thanks guys
AndyM

greyghost
04-15-2002, 01:40 PM
Andy,

can't help but think i kinda know you.....

Spread the word dude!

regards.

greyghost
04-15-2002, 01:40 PM
Andy,

can't help but think i kinda know you.....

Spread the word dude!

regards.

buddhapalm
04-15-2002, 07:06 PM
Hi AndyM,
This is Buddhapalm, I live in San Francisco, but went to High School in Aberdeen. I studied Lau Gar Kuen for 4 years there under Ian McPherson. This was around 1980.

I would like to ask if you know him, knew of him, or anyone else that does know him. He was like a big brother to me as a teenager and inspired me to train hard. I have since lost contact with him and I dont know if he is still in the Martial circle.

I e-mailed the UK/Scottish Lau Gar website, but no response for 2 or 3 times.

Any thoughts on how to get a hold of him would be great. its been 18 years since I saw him, and would love to talk about old times and the new.

Cheers

Buddhapalm

AndyM
04-18-2002, 09:25 AM
Hi Buddhapalm,

The Scotland Lau Gar clubs all scattered to the winds in the mid 90's. Leave this with me though, I will make some enquiries. The best thing you could do would be to e mail me with anything you remember about Ian, ideally a photograph, age description etc.

He wasn't balding with a moustache, about 5'8" dark hair, slight build was he?

Love to help if I can

AndyM

Hey Greyghost, there seems to be an echo in here!

Hey Greyghost, there seems to be an echo in here!

buddhapalm
04-18-2002, 10:03 AM
Thanks for your help AndyM,

Actually at the Lau Gar club I went to there were two teachers, one was Ian McPherson the other was Duncan Forbes. I was a lot closer to Ian as he seemed to be more dedicated to the art, as Duncan seemed more dedicated to the business.

Both of these teachers had moustaches, but Ian was of a strong build and Duncan was fairly skinny. Also Ian had lighter hair.

Any help in tracking down Ian McPherson would be great, as he was my first teacher and I will never forget that.

I hope your training is going well.

Regarding my Lau Gar, the only thing I remember now was "Kay Boon Sau Fa" :-))) .....So much for practice makes perfect.

Warmest Regards my friend

David

Buddhapalm

AndyM
04-21-2002, 05:54 PM
This forum moves so fast, this post is struggling to keep it's head above water!

Sorry if this question is 'boring' to the older members, but i really am trying to find out stuff here!

I need info on Lau Gar outside the UK. is there any way anyone can tell me if the head honchos in China know of it, or perhaps even some sites I can search???

Thanks

Andy

phoenix-eye
04-24-2002, 05:38 AM
I posted a while back on Lau Gar and someone replied with info on Lau Gar in China or Hong Kong. Can't remember when / where it was so I'll see if I can dig it up again and post back later.

By the way I study Lau Gar and am just starting to learn the basic Hung Gar syllabus under the same Sifu. I've seen the Lau Gar Kuen form from Hung Gar and although it is not the same it does look similar to a later Lau Gar form taught in our school.

The Lau Gar forms in Hung Gar originate from Lau Kar Leung of Shaw Brothers fame and is not the same as the UK Lau Gar style.

I'll post back again soon if I can find that stuff I mentioned.

Good to see so many Scots on here.

Cheers

AndyM
04-24-2002, 05:43 AM
Would be grateful for any help you can give phoenix eye. There is a good chance we have met at some time or other. Who is your Sifu?

Let me know what you find, thanks!

Andy

DelicateSound
05-03-2002, 02:12 PM
Try tracing Mater Yau's lineage. He brought the stlye over here, logic dictates it started somewhere.

AndyM
05-03-2002, 03:38 PM
Thanks DS,

the trouble I am having is that every trace I do in the UK quotes the same text, while the style ( as a seperate entity ) seems to have no recognition outside of the UK.

I have so far been unable to satisfy my curiosity as to the origins of Lau Gar, hence my post!

AndyM

DelicateSound
05-03-2002, 03:49 PM
Mmmm. I just posted the obvious, but I guess you've seen the BKFA site and all, so you'll need a search. I had a book once with loads of LauGar stuff:

"Kung Fu" [imaginative] by Eddie someone.

Sorry that's a bit vague. I'm not a big fan of the style but I'll try for you on Altavista and stuff.

AndyM
12-22-2002, 05:10 PM
"Kung Fu" [imaginative] by Eddie someone.

If it's 'Eddie Ferrie', I've got that one thanks.

No one seems to want to discuss Lau Gar in here....strange!