PDA

View Full Version : Confidential to DJ Argue.

Chang Style Novice
04-11-2002, 04:21 PM
Got your notice in today's mail. Will pick up package on Saturday. My own package will hopefully be ready for mailing by then - at present I have four discs full, and expect to fill two more before I'm really ready to post them.

Chang Style Novice
04-11-2002, 04:43 PM
I said confidential! Stop peeking, you b@stards!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm in the middle of making up my mind who is the ultimate movie tough guy: Lee Marvin or Robert Mitchum. So far, I'm leaning toward Mitchum, but I'm watching Point Blank tonight, so there could be an upset.

raving_limerick
04-11-2002, 06:11 PM
What? No Lee Van Cleef?

Chang Style Novice
04-11-2002, 10:30 PM
Good one.

Mr Punch
04-12-2002, 01:32 AM
Mitchum. The Yakuza.

Marvin. Too p.issed.

Van Cleef. Too skinny.

Palance? Nah, bit of a weasel... hmmm. This ain't finished yet.;)

Chang Style Novice
04-12-2002, 04:04 AM
It is instructive to compare Mitchum and Marvin's ways of dealing with a three-man ambush in Cape Fear and Point Blank, respectively. Each fights dirty and ultimately prevails, but takes several good licks in the process. Mitchum seems to have a slightly easier time of it, but Marvin 'sells' the fight better - plus he does an exquisite nutpunch to the groundnpound. You might also compare and contrast these movies to their 90's remakes, Mel Gibson's Payback and Scorcese's Cape Fear. It truly shows they don't make tough guys like they used to - although DeNiro gets a lot closer than Gibson.

Mr Punch
04-12-2002, 04:38 AM
I'm gonna have to watch Point Blank again, my memory's too hazy... I did like Gibson in Payback though: the only really decent part he's had for ages. But I agree he's nothing compared to the oldies. Chang though, DeNiro? I've never given him much credibility as a hard man... So who have we got nowadays?

Are you thinking movie characters and real-life image too...? Cos if so, in the past although they were both completely ****faced half the time what about Ollie Read and Richard Harris? I know Ollie took as many poundings as he gave out but he must come somewhere...?

BTW I thought the remake of Cape Fear sucked bigtime.

Ryu
04-12-2002, 06:53 AM
Pee Wee Herman is the toughest guy in film.

Ryu

Sharky
04-12-2002, 07:10 AM
The karate kid man, the karate kid.

Tigerstyle
04-12-2002, 08:13 AM
I think you're all purposely leaving out Charles Bronson, because you know who the real tough guy is.

raving_limerick
04-12-2002, 08:44 AM
I dunno. I think it's a rule that anyone with a fu-manchu and a shag haircut is automatically disqualified. Personally, I'm surprised nobody mentioned Sonny Chiba as well.

But I'm still rooting for my man Lee. "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" was such an @ss-kicking film...

Golden Arms
04-12-2002, 08:51 AM
Two come to mind, Michael J Fox, and David Hasslehoff. Both just APPEAR to not be quite as tough because that is what they WANT you to think..REAL ninjas never let you see them coming.

Tigerstyle
04-12-2002, 09:16 AM
"I think it's a rule that anyone with a fu-manchu and a shag haircut is automatically disqualified."

LOL! I think I'll agree with that one :) .

I vote for Steven Seagal. You gotta give props to someone that can smack around his wife and still say he's a Buddhist. :eek:

One time I saw David Hasselhoff totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window. David Hasselhoff and Michael J. Fox are totally sweet!

Chang Style Novice
04-12-2002, 05:59 PM
Mat -

"DeNiro? I've never given him much credibility as a hard man"

three words for you:

Godfather Part II

Kristoffer
04-13-2002, 11:08 AM
Anyone seen Mean Machine, or Snatch? Well in that case you KNOW who I'm talking about. :cool:

Chang Style Novice
04-13-2002, 01:24 PM
Dangit, I thought the PO was open until two, but they closed at one. It seems my pickup and mailout will have to wait until Monday.

Anyway - Diego and Justa Man:

Each package will contain six homeburnt CDs.

1 - Li'l Even Steven's IAM de Marseille mix part one
2 - Li'l Even Steven's IAM de Marseille mix part two

These are recreated versions of a mix tape a Swedish hiphop fan sent to me a few years ago. IAM de Marseille is a French rap group that's as dope as almost any Americans I can think of.

3 - Hot California
4 - Hot California Part 2: good lifers

These are personal selections from the last few years (and a few oldies) of West Coast underground hiphop. The first one is a pretty eclectic mix, the second concentrates on Freestyle Fellowship, AceyAlone, Haiku D'Etat, and others on the Project Blowed LA scene.

5 - K-Otix and Example

This is the complete out-of-print vinyl by two Houston area groups. K-Otix is kinda blowing up, I don't know what's up with Example these days. Material on these ranges from 97-2001.

6 - Funk Gone Wild.

Some hiphop. Lots of funk. A pretty representative CD that I'd make for myself.

Once again, I'm cool to trade sounds with anybody. austin@swinburn.net

Mr Punch
04-13-2002, 11:11 PM
Yeah yeah Godfather Part II. But he still just never scares me, he just hasn't got the presence to make me think 'that man could really do that'... except maybe in Goodfellas...? Anyway, I'm trying to think of tough as in presence, as well as on- or off-screen persona... I'm afraid that lets out most of the gangster numbers, cos those characters are just too uptight for most of the psychos I've met! for an example: back to Mitchum for Night of the Hunter. OK, so he's terrorizing a couple of kids, but it's the FEELING of pure ****-kicking menace that pervades the whole part... Bejeezuz, starting to sound like Leonard Matlin:rolleyes:

Fonda was good in Once Upon A Time in the West, but that's more BAD guy than TOUGH guy.

Heard some excellent Swedish hip-hop, btw, I'll try and find out who it was...

Chang Style Novice
04-14-2002, 06:01 AM
Well, Vito Corleone isn't an impulsively violent psycho. He's a ruthlessly amoral businessman. He isn't a killer/hard@ss because it's just the way he is, he's that way because it's the way he has to be to meet his goals. That's why deNiro played the role completely differently than he did Travis Bickle or his role in Cape Fear. Don Vito scares the poo out of you because you know that if he thinks you need to be dead, he'll kill you in such a way that you never see it coming and you'll never have a hint he wants you dead before you're dead.

You're right about Mitchum in Night of the Hunter, 100%. Plus there's that amazing scene of his wife at the bottom of the river tied to her car and tangled in weeds...