PDA

View Full Version : kung fu training routines

type01
04-12-2002, 01:38 AM
what is the best way to train for speed power, endurance and strenght in kung fu?? is it push ups, sit ups , runnning ......etc

Pakmei
04-12-2002, 02:30 AM
This is very dependant on what style you practise really.

But on a general level for speed training: Skipping (like how boxers skip), is very good for hand speed in an overall sense.

However on a style specific type of training, then certain styles have their own ways of training speed in accordance to the style in question.

dezhen2001
04-12-2002, 03:53 AM
practise your kung fu:confused:

david

BIU JI
04-12-2002, 08:03 AM
Depending on your style, styles such as Tai chi ba qua that are soft make it difficult to get that type of fitness but certainly gives you internal health.
Alot of people(particularly) guys these days want that "Body Beautiful" and train to get the abs etc but are not neccarily fit on the inside, they may look quite fit but internally unhealthy. If you do one of those soft styles it would be good for you but harder styles should really give you that fitness if you train regularly enough.

Stacks of push ups will build your arms but wont teach you how to punch correctly!;)

type01
04-13-2002, 08:00 PM
So for a generally good training routine (without internal cos im not that advanced) would be just training more of the usual punching and kicking drills, push ups and sit ups but, what i should also do is co-ordination excersies like skipping and eat healthy for inside???

can anyone give me numbers of how many i should do to start off???

No_Know
04-14-2002, 12:03 AM
200 of each punch (alternating)

200 of each kick (alternating)

Kick upon waking in the morning and late at night before sleeping (daily for six months).

(Even doing the above with twenty instead of 200 and increasing by five or ten each week after the first two weeks of twenty should be good).

yutyeesam
04-14-2002, 01:33 AM
simple answer:
hit things a lot and hard, but also keep your body relaxed, and keep good form. But you gotta always hit stuff. No real substitute.
Just my novice perspective and passing down what my sihing always tells me.

nospam
04-14-2002, 07:33 AM
speed power, endurance and strenght in kung fu

Are you asking for individual routines or how to train for the sum of these? The answers are related. Of course, it takes dedication and proper instruction and time to attain all of the above characteristics.

Speed - proper body mechanics, practising to be loose then hard then loose, coil and recoil> drills such as puching out a candle flame, stretching the hip, coiling and recoiling of the hip on a continual basis ie) quickly performing successive techniques, slowly working through the technique to ensure proper movement (an experienced eye is helpful/needed)<at the same time you could alternate wearing weights>proper movement also incorporates proper body mechanics (quite often the student does not realise they are not moving correctly therefore speed<and power>is sacraficed)

Power - depends on a styles philosophy, if it is more muscle generated (often times referred to as external power) then you should be developing your muscles through some form of progressive (usually weighted) resistance training. Power generation is the second stage of speed development.

The various aspects of speed training are now done quickly and to full extension. Many people feel bag training will help with power, I believe it does not. The bag does not teach correct form, as most muscle through the bag or on contact, shoulder through a strike; that is not proper body mechanics or form of technique. Overall, I believe striking a stationary heavy bag for anything other than circular strikes and kicks should be done solely for endurance purposes.

Endurance and Strength - Bag work is a great endurance drill. Work the bag for a minimum of 10 minutes, then start sparring for endurance (not necessarily sparring to win, but to just keep moving), working fist patterns and weapon patterns. When it comes to endurance, you need to constantly challenge your fatigue level. If after 5 minutes on the bag you are bagged, then strive for (I always work on 5 minute increments) 10 ominutes in one or two weeks time. Then increase in another week or two weeks time, perhaps throwing in other motion drills. The key for developing endurance - for developing anything - is challenge. You must challenge the present level or state to be able to expand, grow, increase, improve, acquire.

Strength will increase with all of the above, as you are working on the body as a whole. of course, if you want to challeneg your strength ability, then nothing like progressive weight resistance training!

nospam.
:cool:

fiercest tiger
04-15-2002, 05:03 AM
Taebo:D

fgxpanzerz
04-16-2002, 03:06 PM
I've heard that hard training in the morning after u wake up is harmful to yor body. I was told to do chi gung in the morning, forms like gung gee fook fu for midday, and the iron wire form in the evening. This is from a hung gar point of view.

type01
04-17-2002, 10:42 PM
thank you all

thanks for your views but im not goin to start taibo just yet. I would also like to know some coordination excersies like skipping??

I have another question since you guys are pretty experienced in Kung fu, there is a small muscle just above your solar plex and inbetween the pecks it is very difficult work i was just wondering if you guys know how to work that muscle or muscle group to build it up??

fiercest tiger
04-17-2002, 11:35 PM
Can you be a bit my specific on the muscle groups as there are alot around the stomach etc?

When you say condition do you mean like getting punched there or sut ups, medicine ball work etc. because the solar plexus is venerable even when strengthened, there are alot of nerves and energy chakra which you can attack. :)

type01
04-19-2002, 07:59 PM
above the abs, below the pecs and it sits on the triangle just above the solar plex. i have checked anatomy charts and there isnt any muscles there only tendons but if you put your fingers there and move the other arm around you can feel something moving under the skin and apparently weasly snipes has it in blade.

TenTigers
04-28-2002, 11:00 AM
Fox-speak for yourself- that isnt from a Hung Ga point of view, it's from YOUR Hung-Ga point of view. My Hung-Ga Sifus always stressed morning practice even up to old age-one guy is in his late 60's and practces Hung-Kuen pole at 7am in the park. I train every morning-BUT obviously not immediately upon waking-dang, I can't even move first thing!
After driving my daughters to school at eight, I start out with basic dao yin (Taoist Yoga) Eight Brocades,and hei-gung to open up the joints, stretch the tendons, and warm up. Then out the door for a one-two mile run, and into the park where depending on time, I'll do a few hundred kicks, then sam jien kuen, tiet sien kuen, sam sing da on the trees, then standing hei gung, followed by either Taiji, or Bagua set, and seated meditation. Then it's home for three S's, breakfast, and off to teach, or depending on time management, weight train-then teach. At midnight, I like to practice my gim and bagua before retiring.

fgxpanzerz
04-28-2002, 05:04 PM
i dont remember asking yor opinion so shut the f uck up. haha. i'm sure you're going to reply but dont bother because i dont care.

TenTigers
04-28-2002, 08:16 PM
No, you don't have to ask, but your ignorance begs for it. So here I am ;-p And if I want YOUR opinion, I'll give it to you. (usually I say, "If I want your opinion, I'll beat it outta ya!" but I'm in a less obnoxious mood tonite!) what??? LESS OBNOXIOUS! ME???IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!Bwahahahahahaha!

TenTigers
04-28-2002, 08:19 PM
foxey lady, lighten up! Basically what I meant was that not all Hung-Ga Sifus train the same way. That might be just the way your Sifu chooses to train-personal choices-dat's all
peace, lil' bro

type01
04-30-2002, 03:41 AM
hey

please no fighting. You guys seem to have your own routines for your MA but what about other poeple who dont do Hung Ga and dont know what your talking about?

TenTigers
04-30-2002, 05:44 PM
I wasn't fighting, I was playin-just jesting. Sometimes I like to post informative stuff, share info, opinions, other times I just like messin around ;-) That's what's good about open forums, we get to hang out, kick back and have fun. As far as some of the terms, Sam Sing Da is three star striking-a forearm conditionig exercise. Tiet Sien Kuen is the Iron Thread Set also called the wire form.