PDA

View Full Version : Left or right (non-political)

scotty1
04-12-2002, 04:33 AM
Which do you think is tactically/realistically better?

Training your strong side, capitalising on your strengths?

Or training both sides, so you can switch to southpaw (boxing terminology but applicable to most arts) to gain a tactical advantage?

And yes, in a perfect world we would have ample time to train both sides to perfection, but this is coming from a man that works full time and has limited training time. Esp. on the pads with a partner.

So, what do you think?

Ish
04-12-2002, 04:44 AM
I also work full time so can't train quite as much as i would like either.
At the moment i try to work my weak side about 60% and 40% on my stronger side

Mr Punch
04-12-2002, 04:47 AM
In short, dunno.

Never one to leave it at that though...;)

At the moment I'm training my left more because I feel my striking is really really weak on this side (and I have more tone on my right). I have noticed that I am a lot more sensitive on my left though, and I don't want to trade that in. I do find that if I give my left I can really effectively lead my opponent onto a strong right, but this is just developing into another bad one-sided habit.

Erm, is it bad? Should we naturally go with one side?

But Scotty, if you're training regularly anyway, why can't you train both?

scotty1
04-12-2002, 04:52 AM
I can (and do) train both. Its just I noticed that my partner last night seemed to have trouble with the fact that I wanted to train the drill on both sides. He seems to prefer just training his strong side.

I suppose he thinks that if he's got limited time he's better off putting it all into this strong side rather than spreading it thinly trying to get his weak side to catch up with his strong.

i'm undecided.

Mr Punch
04-12-2002, 04:54 AM
Generally I'm with Ish as far as time spent goes.

I trained for far too long on one side when I first started ma and it doesn't pay off.

scotty1
04-12-2002, 05:11 AM
Yeah I think I'll probably just keep doing what I'm doing.
Being able to switch stance on someone is quite valuable I think.

Sharky
04-12-2002, 05:42 AM
both sides

straight blast
04-12-2002, 05:52 AM
Definately both sides. I tend to train my left (less coordinated as I'm right handed) just that little bit extra, those few reps more. I used to have the most sissy punch from my left, but those few reps added up and have certainly made the difference in both speed and power.

I think you'd have to be crazy not to train both. You can't always guarantee which side you'll have forward in an altercation.

Sho
04-12-2002, 06:10 AM
I think one should train both sides.

Though I admit (and feel bad) that I haven't trained my left side well enough. My right side is a lot more powerful than my left.

I heard Bruce Lee said that one should concentrate more on his powerful side.

AdrianUK
04-12-2002, 06:25 AM
For limited time I find getting the strong side right can help when training the weak side, though ideally train both to the same standard

scotty1
04-12-2002, 08:54 AM
I think my left lead side will always be more comfortable, but I would like for my right to not be completly useless.

Also, I think that training boith sides just kind of balances your body.

scotty1
04-12-2002, 08:55 AM
Plus I think stepping through with your back leg and striking is quite an effective technique that covers a lot of distance, and there's no point doing that if you can't hit hard with your other side.

fa_jing
04-12-2002, 09:24 AM
We need to make a distinction between the strong side and the strong stance. One should always train to have a natural response from at least one strong stance. In my case, it is the normal boxing stance. If time permitted, I would train from both stances equally, but I don't have unlimited time, I feel it's better to work this way. On the other hand I train my weak side more, that is to say a few extra reps for my left hand. The weak or unnatural stance for me, is to have my strong (right) side forward, that is to say the southpaw boxing stance. I train this stance as I said less. But, even when I train the weak stance, I also do a few more reps with my left cross, as it is the weak side.

So in summary, I think for someone who is not a full-time martial artist, it is better to concentrate on one STANCE for a natural response. But it is always adviseable to work more on your weak SIDE.

Now, in many styles such as what I study, there are more than 2 stances to choose from, and transitional stepping will take you from one stance to another. But, as my Sifu advises, 80% of the time in stand-up combat you should stay in one stance, the one you spent more time developing.

Note: I am not commenting on whether it is better to develop your strong stance with your strong side forward, or your strong side back. That is up to the individual and style.

-FJ