PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: RYU Armbar-Fu

Merryprankster
04-12-2002, 06:06 AM
Ryu,

You asked about your Kung Fu w/regards to Armbar from the guard.

As you know, Kung Fu is skill accomplished through hard work over time.

So tell me what you are doing or might be having problems with and I'll see if I can help give some pointers to improve your armbar Kung Fu.

Sorry. Had to make it relevant somehow :)

Ryu
04-12-2002, 06:32 AM
Haha, thanks Merry.
Well I'm usually much more able to pull an armbar off a good grappler from top position only. I think my problems with armbar from the guard is that I telegraph it too much.
Right now I'm training a more "NHB" style of fighting, and am grappling with punches thrown in, etc. It's harder to pull off an armbar when someone is in your guard punching down at your face, but I can pull them off on my partner. But I'm a better grappler than he is. He's better at other things. So I've noticed that it's much harder for me to get an armlock on a seasoned grappler from guard. I have accomplished it a couple times by faking a triangle, and then suddenly getting the arm, but do you know any other set ups, fakes, etc. to get different armlocks from guard?

Ryu

Merryprankster
04-12-2002, 07:26 AM
I can teach you how not to get hit in the face, and still maintain control of the arm you want to armbar :)

Try this: Place both your feet in his hips, with your knees well bent.

When he tries to hit you next, use your forearm to block him near the elbow, and then come over top and track your hand down his forearm to grab his wrist. Keep hold of that wrist and then press your shin out and down. Your shin should be in his elbow joint and pressing against their bicep, kinda like you're trying to put your knee down.

He may try to hit you with the other hand, in which case, repeat the procedure on the other side.

If he concentrates on freeing his trapped arm, attack his other arm with your shin and hand--I find that if I push on their bicep near the elbow and slip it over my knee, then track down the outside of their forearm to the wrist, it's easiest.

You should now be in this position--both feet in hips, his arms outside your shin, with your shins in his arms, pressing out and down, while you have hold of his wrists.

What you have to do next will take some getting used to, but does work.

Hip up. Use your feet on his hips to facilitate this. Remember--you want to hip UP, not push him away!

I'm going to describe the next as though you were armbarring his right arm. You're going to do something very similar to the first armbar from the guard you probably ever learned :)

Now, bring your hips down. On the way back down pull his right arm across your body, towards your right shoulder HARD to break his posture, and trap his elbow and arm with your hip and thigh. Press your knee in hard (but not at the expense of your hip and thigh pressure. This should help control both his posture and his shoulder so he can't back out. You need his elbow at your hip at least, but the ****her the better. Don't let go of that wrist. If you don't make it to this position, probably a good idea to start over, or try something else.

There are two ways I find most useful to finish:

For the first, keep the grips you have, and rotate your body to the right, so your head goes towards his left knee. As you rotate, you have to slide your right leg off his bicep and across his body so that your shin is in his stomach and your foot hooks the right side of his body. Otherwise, your own shin will get in the way. Maintain your hip pressure on his arm throughout. Put your left leg over his face and hip into his elbow to finish.

--In reality, you may need to grab his knee with your right hand to help bring you around. You can also use this to sweep him to his back, if you can.

--Once you are around, you may need to pull on his arm with both of yours to finish, or do it sooner to keep his arm there. You know how that goes.

The other finish is to slip your right leg under his arm, then kick your right heel to his neck, pivoting your body perpendicular to him while pressuring down with your right calf to keep his posture down and keep him from backing out. Put your left leg over his face to finish. That's pretty much the "standard," arm bar from the guard. As before, don't let up on your hip pressure and adjust your grips as needed to accomplish the desired end.

Making sense? I prefer the second finish as I personally find it affords me a better way to keep his posture down. The shin on the belly one, however, allows me to sweep him over a bit easier. Personal preference :)

The best part about this hip up set up is that if you take a leg out and put it over his shoulder, you can triangle him just as easily.

jon
04-12-2002, 07:32 AM
What no chi blasts?
Obviously mcdojo stuff going on here:rolleyes:

Ralek
04-12-2002, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the info MerryPrankster!!

Do you want to fight me in a challenge match at the Mario Yamasaki school?

diego
04-12-2002, 04:41 PM
Your teeth are crooked, it's hopeless for get about it, K:)

diego
04-12-2002, 04:42 PM
ima pick on you see if i can get rude trolling you, and i bet only your posts will get deleted,
k'herbie

Merryprankster
04-14-2002, 05:53 PM
Ralek,

I will not fight you at Yamasaki's. Considering he knows who I am, and I am at a different school with another well known instructor, I think it would be in poor taste to get your blood on his mats.

raving_limerick
04-14-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
Ralek,

I will not fight you at Yamasaki's. Considering he knows who I am, and I am at a different school with another well known instructor, I think it would be in poor taste to get your blood on his mats.

Don't worry, Merry. It's impossible to make someone who won't show up bleed. :D

Ralek
04-15-2002, 09:13 AM
MerryPrankster. Who is your instructor?

Anyways i don't want to fight you becuase you are a BJJ guy. I already know that BJJ is effective. It is the style that i represent. There's no point in me fighting you becuase I already know you would win and the BJJ style works. If you beat me it would be BJJ beating BJJ.

I train under the "Gracie Total Defense CD-ROM(TM)". That is where i learned the elbow-knee escape that i used on shoalin tiger. There was blood and my hand was bleeding from where it was cut on his tooth when i punched him in the face.

Merry Pranster. Can you please describe in detail how to do a "flower sweep". What is a flower sweep. I've heard people use the word but i don't know what it means.

Ryu
04-15-2002, 09:25 AM
Ralek, how can you be a BJJ practitioner if you have never trained at a BJJ school? :D
Train at a BJJ school and THEN say you do BJJ. ;)

Merry, thanks for the advice, man. I'll make sure to try it out!

Ryu

Merryprankster
04-15-2002, 01:52 PM
Ralek--

Different sweeps are called different things by different instructors.

I have no idea what "flower sweep," refers to, although I probably know what it is. There is a good chance that it is what we call a helicopter sweep at my school. If I were you, I'd jump to somewhere like on the mat. They might have it.

I train under Lloyd Irvin. I believe it's in my profile.