PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Budokan, also Ryu

KC Elbows
04-12-2002, 10:39 AM
Budokan, that's your story on Cyberkwoon, isn't it? I liked it quite a bit. Reminded me of the good side of Heinlein in some ways, but entirely your own style. Very cool.

Ryu, did you submit your story? Have you been published there yet?

I wrote two, and presently hate both of them, so I haven't submitted yet. Its funky. The book I'm working on has a martial artist as one of the central characters, and I'm having trouble writing anything in another genre about martial arts that I still like, yet I don't know that I want to do the same genre as my book. Someone suggested using a character in the book, and writing a story about them, but I'm not sure I want to do this due to thematic reasons.

Everyone else has probably already congratulated you, budokan, but I'm behind the times. Good job.

For me, the hardest part about this is not the martial arts, but the tendency to either have the martial arts so far in the background that its not necessary to the plot, or to be focussed so much on having martial arts have a strong presence that it prevents me from developing a theme and story worthy of the martial content.

diego
04-12-2002, 10:49 AM
make martial the theme character, you know how theforce is the leadstar in starwars, he in every ep:) .

uno what i mean, like you could make a plot based around the history of this martial art!/skill?.
and get an indepth, storyline, from the trials&tribs of those within the timeframe of this art!." im playing with my cat right now so im typing onehand-speakn like a wetard:p "

instead of showing the face of this art with cool fireuppercut fightscenes, Build on the spirit/nature/essence of this art, and what happenned within the human generations within the respective Genesis.
think about it you'll get it...

diego
04-12-2002, 11:04 AM
mimic the bible, you have this one underlying principle"HOLY SPIRIT" and many chapters in the story of this whole east/west civilization for the past two thousand years, like the author of lord of the rings, he made a whole universe, defined everything, created his own brand of wood for new trees, and imaginary pets, etc.
if i get into writing like that, I WRITE RAPS, i would make like a gotham alternate universe, so it has fantasia like graphics, but i would borrow from true historical events dropping knowledge within a interesting read, like the probable original unedited bible?.:)

KC Elbows
04-12-2002, 11:30 AM
Good advice. Hey, you're bilingual, right? Do you write in both languages?

I'm probably totally wrong, but I thought you knew two languages. You seem to have always had good writing advice, which is odd, as your posts are always in Diego-code.:D

I'm trying not to do an ancient times thing, as the book I'm working on is in that sort of era, and I was wanting a change. However, the history thing is a very good idea.

I like the Gotham sort of setting as well.

I'll have to mull over all that.

Tigerstyle
04-12-2002, 12:08 PM
Vampires in space, KC. Vampires in space.

Jaguar Wong would be happy to hear about that one.

DelicateSound
04-12-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Tigerstyle
Vampires in space.

Nope. Busty, blonde, female vampires in space with a cheezy 1980's police cop undertone* would be fine by me! :D

Anyone ever watched "T.J.Hooker" with William Shatner?! It's like the best cheezy cop show ever! :)

KC Elbows
04-19-2002, 11:11 AM
Further evidence that I am, indeed, the red headed step child of KFO:

Even Ryu has me on his ignore list.:(

Has he forgotten the evenings together, the starlight, the mai tais, the...uhmmm...

Why can't I remember anything after the mai tais?

Even Budo hasn't answered, but I'll just assume he's too busy trying to find all his first edition D&D books after some infidel tried to tell him that the githzerai could beat the githyanki, and hasn't had time to post.

I had an inspiration, it was right in front of my face the whole time. I'll see how it works out, it has to do with a lot of the stuff I've been posting lately. Its so weird, I was trying so hard to find a good idea, and I had one that I have first hand experience in. Never put it past me to miss what's right in front of my face.

Now, why can't I remember what happened after the mai tais? I remember waking in the bus station, I had whipped cream all over me and I couldn't find my pants, but what happened in between? God, it really chaps my arse when I can't remember.

Hold on, that reminded me of something. Chaped my ass. Well, never mind, couldn't be that important.

Budokan
04-19-2002, 11:51 AM
LOL! @ KC. :D Nah, I was arguing with this guy about the probability qualities of the 12-sided dice verses the 4-sided one when determining two claw and a bite damage from a crazed wolverine.:D

Thanks for the nice things you said about my story on cyberkwoon. Yes, it's mine. I understand the problem of writing a story about MA and either have it as a background or foreground element in fiction. It's a tough choice, but cyberkwoon has made it known that if the story is even remotely associated with MA then it has a chance of being published. Glad to hear you have a new story idea. Let me know how it works out.

And don't feel too bad about us not responding right away. After all, *somebody* has to be the red-headed stepchild of KFO....

;)

KC Elbows
04-19-2002, 12:22 PM
Fortunately, the idea I've found is directly related to martial arts, though not in the way many might think. I'll have to work with it.

Completely off topic, but Fiend Folio is my absolute favorite of all the things to come out. There's something about the blank look on the player's faces whenever they are attacked by a penangallan(sp?), especially those people who think its their god-given right to face creatures from straight out of the books so they can endlessly pretend they are not acting out of inside knowledge their character wouldn't have. I ran a game once where I only used commonly known creatures for the monsters, but revamped all their stats and how their specific abilities worked(after all, there is nothing inherent in vampire stories that actually backs the specific stats of the vampire in the game). Messed up the players immensely, great fun.

Did I mention that I'm a total geek?

DelicateSound
04-19-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by KC Elbows
red headed step child

KC, If you wake to find me on your doorstep, half-drunk wielding a large, probably petrol-driven chainsaw - you know I've taken that one personally.

KC Elbows
04-19-2002, 01:37 PM
DS, you know I only have the deepest respect for step-children.:p

DelicateSound
04-19-2002, 01:52 PM
That's it KC. You've pushed the line. :D