PDA

View Full Version : Sweeps/Leg Takedowns

Golden Arms
04-12-2002, 11:17 AM
How many of you focus or train for leg/foot takedowns and sweeps? What are some of the methods of training that you use or find useful? Finally, are you comfortable using these under real world circumstances/under pressure, and if so why or why not?

Suntzu
04-12-2002, 11:29 AM
after training san shou for a little while now, leg takedowns have become my preferred technique…

as far as training them we just kick at each other, catch the kick and down you go… and in sparring if I have a leg catch I try a sweep or go for a 1, 2 shoot combination or something like that...

i found that leg takedowns have become second nature to me the quickest out of all the LEARNED techniques i have acquired and when a kick is thrown at me and caught or in a clinch, the first thing i do is try and wrap the leg and put them to the ground... preferably driving my weight into them...

Sharky
04-12-2002, 11:33 AM
If opponent is standing sideways on, in a " i know karate " stance, roundhouse the back of their front knee if they have their weight on it. works every time. mwuhahAhaaHAaHaaHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA.

Stacey
04-12-2002, 05:07 PM
He sharky remember that "broken shin" video?

Well don't do that technique on someone trained in 8 Step....lets just say it might backfire on you.

In fact, I bait people to use that so I can use one of my many splendid counters. The nicest are just throws, the meaner ones involve putting the kicker on the ground in agony. The devil is in the details...I couldn't describe it to you if I tried.

Not many people know this technique so I also kick at the outside of the knee to take them down, but I change my positioning.

Sharky
04-12-2002, 05:42 PM
Are you trying to say this move has a counter?

CanadianBadAss
04-12-2002, 05:50 PM
Y would some one in 8 Step be standing in a "I know Karate" stance?

Kristoffer
04-13-2002, 10:51 AM
Stacey is a man

Stacey
04-13-2002, 10:05 PM
I'm assuming this is a deep stance.

Well, at times, say in a clinch, we go to a deep stance.

Yes sharky this move have 4 counters that I am aware of...probably more.

fightfan
04-13-2002, 10:22 PM
Probably the MOST useful thing Ive ever learned and heard other peaple say is to COMMIT to the takedown.
If you hesitate while executing a takedown youre dead meat so make the commitment first priority.
Of course you also need to go over the various takedowns a thousand times so you dont even have to think about them until their done and work on your timing just as hard.
Good luck!

dre
04-13-2002, 10:52 PM
We do a lot of "ground tech" in my particular class, although the focus is somewhat different ( standing vs. shoot, ground vs. standing).

We just practice it thousands of times over. . . my Sifu/Si Bok isn't one for the quick apporach.