PDA

View Full Version : The Prodigal Son

tiger7
04-12-2002, 02:59 PM
Greetings:)

Have you guys seen "The Prodigal Son"? What do you think about this flick? I was impressed with the Wing Chun. What form was that other guy doing with the rings on his fingers?

byond
04-12-2002, 03:07 PM
finger guy was doing a holywood version of bak mai....which in some bak mai systems they imported some dragon...hence the clawing technique...i like the sound he made when he moved.....lol
im still trying to figure out who the guy who played leung yee tai learned wing chun from..??????

tiger7
04-12-2002, 03:20 PM
Did you see the fighting stance? In the unguard position the palm is turned up instead of straight. I have seen old Wing Chun pics doing the same thing.

Sharky
04-12-2002, 05:45 PM
you mean they fight with wu sau tan sau instead of wu sau man sau? yes, i used to do this, in lee shing lineage.

i wasn't tha timpressed with thte film - the wingchun was't very flowing. buti guess it's supposed to look spectacular. indeed most of the moves were "real" wing chun, but it just wasn't as nice as i thought it would have been, given all teh hype.

kungfu cowboy
04-12-2002, 06:47 PM
I thought it was an overrated stinker.

Sharky
04-12-2002, 06:51 PM
that's what i wish i had said.

Spark
04-12-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by kungfu cowboy
I thought it was an overrated stinker.

You're drunk.

kungfu cowboy
04-12-2002, 08:24 PM
acting: bad
plot: pseudo-historically boring
kung fu: where? Oh, that obviously choreographed yawn inducing pantomime?
overall smell-o-vision rating: steaming poo

Sharky
04-12-2002, 10:19 PM
lol. i mean, it was pretty bad acting, but in brutal honesty, most chinese MA files are (most *MA* films are, scrap chinese). The fighting... hmmm unimpressed... maybe it was hyped too much.

And WHAT is that guys VOICE ALL ABOUT!?!!??

Roy D. Anthony
04-13-2002, 12:00 AM
I asked that question months ago on the old version of this forum. The answer I got was that that actor learned under Jiu Wan. If you look closely, you may recognize him from the Bruce Lee flicks, especially Fists Of Fury, Imagine him with hair.
Hope this Helps!!!

old jong
04-13-2002, 03:58 AM
I must admit that,I pushed the rewind button during the "painting the face" scene!...I just could'nt take it anymore! :eek: Did I miss something?...:rolleyes:

kungfu cowboy
04-13-2002, 08:58 AM
Yeah, granted the acting norms for MA flicks are set limbo low. I just kept hearing how AWESOME this movie was, and found it no better than the average.

Good ones I like are just about any Jackie Chan movie (after he got away from the traditional fight scene choreography) and as far as an all around good movie CTHD. (Which I thought I would have HATED because of the wire work)

Old jong, that face painting scene was almost disturbing, lol. You didn't miss much.

Sharky, maybe he was supposed to have been castrated?!? Did they do that in the chinese opera?

red5angel
04-13-2002, 09:15 AM
I actually sort o fenjoyed the film, but from a movie point of view, and a chinese movie flick at that!

"Sharky, maybe he was supposed to have been castrated?!? Did they do that in the chinese opera?"

I think chinese operas did not allow women performers, and so men played that parts of women as well.

Sharky
04-13-2002, 10:19 AM
I actually think CTHD is the best MA film i seen :eek: :eek: :eek:

No joke. You guys just don't like it cos it's big.

kungfu cowboy
04-13-2002, 11:55 AM
I'm with you on that one. A kungfu movie with great acting, awesome action, and a great story! One of a kind. I even liked the wirework, after I thought of it in terms of an oldschool chinese fantasy movie. I think I've watched it about 20 times at least.

JasBourne
04-13-2002, 03:22 PM
Yeh well all MA movies have crappy acting and cheesy storylines. ;)

I liked Prodigal, it's a funny flick for the genre, and tighter than most. The reason it's such a big woopiedo is because (even though it's totally choreographed 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4, never happen in real life) it has the best representation of wingchun used in any MA movie.

Lam Ching Ying studied under Jui Wan, eh? No wonder I liked the flow of his moves so much, they resonated with me (my school has Jui Wan in its lineage)! :D

(Completely off-topic to kungfu cowboy: dude! You have a copy of O Fortuna by Apotheosis? WOOP! I'll sign up with Kazaa if you don't use Morpheus!)

[Censored]
04-13-2002, 10:19 PM
Warning: these movies do not contain any Wing Chun:

Wing Chun :)
Descendant of Wing Chun

These movies do contain Wing Chun:

Prodigal Son
Warriors Two
Magnificent Butcher
...any others?

Mr Punch
04-14-2002, 01:35 AM
Prod Son largely sucked.

CTHD is cool, but I prefer Once Upon A Time In China, for the ma to be honest.

There was a flick which I only know as Shaolin Assassinators (I hope it's got another name!!:D ), which tells one story of Yim Wing Chun, hubby Hung, and son (JC himself... er Jackie Chan, not the OTHER JC!) and the fight against Bai Mei and his followers.

I think it was pretty early in Chan's career, but it has some interesting takes on one of the White Cranes (YMC), one of the Tigers (hub) and Hung Gar/Kuen (which is it?) (son), as you would hope, WC (YWC and son). (Oh, and Pak Mei of course). The scene when JC is practising Yee and the local kids are laughing at his weak stance, then he changes to a horse stance and back to throw them off is particularly amusing.

Wasn't it Chan who said that WC is the most difficult art to represent in the movies because it doesn't have 1-2-3-4 choreography, and because the moves are so short and not flashy (probably among many others)?

Alpha Dog
04-14-2002, 04:08 AM
None of my emails was returned, however.

old jong
04-14-2002, 05:45 AM
The fight clip at the beginning of the W.S.L. tape is a pretty good example of 1-2-3 fighting!...I guess this is from some movie? ;)

Leonidas
04-14-2002, 11:32 AM
Granted CTHD had good acting and a fairly ok storyline. But whats a martial arts movie without good fighting scenes. Unless dangling from steel wires, flying through trees and jumping a trillion feet in the air between half assed punches and kicks is an art unto itself, then CTHD portrayed that style perfectly. I guess it depends on if you like realistic choreography or not. Drunken Master is a classic in my book, probably my favorite all time movies. If there are 2 things i love its drinking and kung fu and if you mash em together ill absolutely love you for it. Oh yea and if you didn't know i hate CTHD with a passion.

byond
04-14-2002, 01:15 PM
hey guys....
what the heck is "magnificent butcher"??????

i saw 2 shaw brother movies (fu hsing was in them both)with wing chun in it.....the one was called "shaolin chamber of death"and its about a group of laymen who go to shaolin to learn kung fu...well they each get to learn from someone differnt..well these 2 cats get to learn from ng mui....the one guy does empty hand (looks like stephan chan)doing the mook jong form on a tree...lol...beating the sap out of it...the other guy learned a rope dart of some sort.......the other movie had the same guys in it.......fu hsing and his bro left shaolin to further there studies with 2 differnt shaolin master that had left the templ years ago....fu hsing learned tiger and crane...and the other guy learned wing chun...i remember he was hitting this huge metal bell with a verticle biu tze , trying to make it ring......

kungfu cowboy
04-14-2002, 07:28 PM
Jasbourne, my friend has it. Great song. He bought it a few years ago off some dj at a club. He was pretty insane about getting a copy, and spent way too much money on it. I will have him burn me a copy, and I will put it on whatever service you prefer. It will be about a couple weeks till I see him again, so I will let you know when I have it.

I just checked on kazaa, and there were quite a few who had it, with several mixes. Is there one in particular you are looking for? I know he has several.

[Censored]
04-15-2002, 02:26 PM
Magnificent Butcher is a rather lame movie, containing one awesome scene with Kwan Tak Hing. Only a few seconds of Wing Chun, but awesome nonetheless.

S.Teebas
04-16-2002, 05:49 AM
I thought Prodical Son was an awsome movie. If you think it was crap then i feel sorry for you!!!;) The kung fu was good, and beats all that 'wire' crap... Sammo Hung kicks ass!!