PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: NorthernShaolin

SifuAbel
04-13-2002, 12:54 AM
Do you have any shared Liniage with "Kenny" Chin? Or Chan Kwok Kwei? Your styles line up caught my eye and my curiousity.

I might not be able to respond after today, I might be banned later, please feel free to email me.

Thank you
sifuabel@yahoo.com

NorthernShaolin
04-14-2002, 08:02 PM
Sifu Abel,

Sifu Chan Kwok Kwei is a lower classmate of my sifu. Sorry but I do not know Mr. Kenny Chin but his name does sound like I hear it before.

SifuAbel
04-15-2002, 01:30 PM
Sifu,

It's very nice to know of Martial relatives out in the world. It's too bad I moved away from the bay area before I had a chance to meet you. Bak hei"kenny" Chin is a student of Chan Kwok Kwei, who taught my teacher and later me. So this would make you a great grand martial uncle, I think. :confused:

Your styles line up is what tipped me off. It will be nice chatting with you. Welcome to the boards.

RA

buddhapalm
04-15-2002, 02:07 PM
Hi SifuAbel,
How are you doing ?

This is Buddhapalm, I met you once or twice in your old gwoon in San Mateo. You told me you were moving south.

You mentioned (in this thread) that your Sigung is Chan Kowk Wai, I read in their list that they teach a form called Buddhapalm, which you can probably tell is of interest to me. Is this set in your curriculum ? Have you heard of this one in your school ? and if so is it a Choy Lee Fut version of Buddhapalm or perhaps Fut Gar, any ideas ?

Cheers

Buddhapalm

NorthernShaolin
04-16-2002, 01:49 PM
Sifu Abel,

Wow, small world. Boy is that why I feel so old? Must be those words, 'Great and Grand Uncle'.

SifuAbel
04-16-2002, 08:11 PM
LOL!
As Si Gung Chin would say, or forest gump I can't remember which, Old is as old does. I only feel old when I let it.
Give me an email and I'll send you my teachers web site and mail address for your records. He'd love to hear from another branch of the "family".

RA

sifuabel@yahoo.com

GeneChing
04-17-2002, 10:31 AM
NS : I'm sorry we missed each other at Berkeley. I read that you were judging but never figured out who you were. That ring seemed pretty busy, especially since it was last to finish. Next time.

SA: You're not getting banned unless you really want it. After all, we are BSL family too.

SifuAbel
04-17-2002, 02:14 PM
Gene,

A few words of advice, Don't rattle the monkey cage.

NorthernShaolin
04-17-2002, 11:23 PM
Gene,

Sorry that I missed you too. I got there late and I missed the Judge meeting at 7:30 AM. Bryant spotted me and told me to help fill in for Northern Traditional event. When I went over there, they put me to work right away so we started our ring exactly at 9:30AM. Wing was scheduled to be head judge this time but he did not want to be it so he told the Ring-leader to give it to me. So that tied me up all day. I was the one wearing the blue T-Shirt while the other judges with me wore the Judge's white knit shirts.

I guess we were efficient because we were the first ones to finished all of our events so the coordinator asked us to help out the other rings. So we stayed to help take the overflow i.e. group events and sparring sets, etc., and finished at 7:15 PM which was enought time to clear out for the Master's demo. The only event left when we finished was the Tai Chi event. So I guess it will be next time when we meet.

Beiquan- It was great to meeting your sifu. You looked really good in the tournament; keep it up. I could not answer your question in the other thread because I did not know if I was going to be head judge at that time. Sifu Bryant Fong changes his format every year. As it turn out I was appointed the honor again as head judge for the traditional Northern event.

GeneChing
04-18-2002, 10:54 AM
NS: Next time definately.

SA: Let's see, if NS is your great grand uncle, and my sifu is a lower classmate of Chan Kwok Wei, what does that make me to you?

Now let's just let this issue go, shall we? We are family. Whatever slight you might perceive from me is not intended. Harboring ill will does little to promote Sil Lum.

SifuAbel
04-18-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing

SA: .......what does that make me to you?

Oh the temptation, don't give me an opening like that. Ugh. I'll be nice.

It makes you a very annoying cousin. :D

I already dropped the fact that you were threatening people with banning. Thats not a very nice thing to do is it? Especially to "family". :rolleyes:

beiquan
04-18-2002, 06:10 PM
NorthernShaolin - thanks! It means a lot to hear that from someone with as much experience in Bei Shaolin as yourself. I know that my sifu was excited to meet and chat with you, all of us who went were really awed by the amount of martial "family" that we saw at the event.

GeneChing
04-19-2002, 11:02 AM
SA: That opening was an invitation. I respect that you handled it so. :D

For me, banning isn't such a big issue, especially after our recent Southern Praying Mantis debacle. I banned a whole mess of SPMers that had gotten huffy, including some innocents that were caught in the crossfire. All of those innocents contacted me privately and politely and I reinstated them immediately. It's very simple to ban someone or unban them, and as I'm sure you realize, it's equally simple to get around a ban. In that situation, it worked very well. The C issue is actually more complicated for many reasons discussed previously and I can only hope that we've heard the last of it.

And we all got to have an annoying cousin or two...:p

BQ: I saw one of you forms too. Nice. Tell Kisu he needs to buy you the shirt for going out and representing - he knows which one.;)

SifuAbel
04-20-2002, 10:37 PM
I got an E-buddy over at Dragonslist that wants to join up with a school in San fran.

Master H.L Schaer Of the Shaolin Wudang Association,
Can anybody advise me on this?

Thanks in advance. :)

NorthernMantis
04-21-2002, 10:44 AM
Hey sifu Able you live in the So Cal area right? I have a friend who has a friend that lives in that area and is looking for a good kung fu school maybe you can help him out. If you want to help or give him some advice you can find him in the mantis forum and goes by the name of yu shan.

yu shan
04-21-2002, 03:42 PM
Thank you Northern Mantis, KFO is a great tool of information. There are such Great Kung Fu Shrfus out there that you would never find. Not looking for the commercial, belt-ranking crowd. Just authenticity and sincerity, meeting under an old tree in a park would do.
I will hopefully be in Lauderdale at the tournament in July, sorry I missed Nicks, was returning from Taiwan, and just couldnt get away.

GeneChing
04-23-2002, 09:48 AM
Haymo (that's the H) is another student of Wing Lam's, one of my martial brothers. I can't actually tell you who is senior, me or him, probably him. He's been teaching professionally in the SF for several years - Wing Lam's lineage Hung Gar and BSL, plus Wing Chun from Yip Ching I think, don't quote me on the Wing Chun part...
I haven't seen Haymo in a long time. We trained together for a while many years ago, but now our paths seldom cross except at the occasional tournament. He used to teach at a timeshare off Taraval, next door to the Iyengar center - but I haven't been by there is over two years.

SifuAbel
04-23-2002, 01:16 PM
haymo, for a second there I thought you were doing your best three stooges impression. j/k

Cool, thanks for the info.

GeneChing
04-24-2002, 10:26 AM
...and I never once thought of that. Stooge Fu. ****, there were plenty of times I could have really used that with him. We used to do the BSL sparring set together, which was funny because he is much taller than me and I was supposed to flip him. Actually, I got my worst injury doing that set with him - it was a total freak accident. He was on the ground doing that leg scissors move and I was yanking my foot out then stomping. His leg scissors caught my shoe - one of those traditional style kF boots - so when I stomped down, I stomped right on the snap. Lam Kwoon has a cement floor so I drove that snap right into the heart of my heel. I was limping for days. nyuck nyuck.

SifuAbel
04-24-2002, 12:33 PM
Ouch!, Thats got to hurt.

GeneChing
04-25-2002, 10:48 AM
Yeah, Sifu Wing Lam said I hit some sort of acupoint, but I have yet to find that one on any chart. He put me on the dit dar herbal mud treatment for a few weeks. Felt like I was stepping in dog poop all the time, with a sharp nail in the center.

Anyway, I'm not sure I ever admitted that one to Haymo. It was a long time ago....

SifuAbel
04-25-2002, 12:28 PM
I'm wrentching just thinking about it. Having to step on hardened blood inside your heal! OWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Reminds me of my thumb tack incident.

GeneChing
04-26-2002, 09:44 AM
If memory serves, it took about a month to recover to stability - either that or I got tired of the dog poop.