PDA

View Full Version : Chinese people that learn in U.K, US etc

Phenix_Eye
04-13-2002, 07:31 AM
Is there Chinese on this Forum that learns Kung fu from an English speaking teacher? I find it quite strange when I refer to the chinese names of blocks/moves in the English accent. For instance Chi sao = sticky hands but I would say it was more like Tee Sao (with a very slight 'ch' in it) and Bil Gee was more like Bil dzee

A while ago my old teacher said he would Jut sao if I tensed up. It took me a while to work out what he was on about.

Anyone here the same?

NafAnal
04-13-2002, 07:45 AM
yes. Thankfully i have my parents to tell me what they should sound like....

Sharky
04-13-2002, 07:46 AM
never knew u were chinese nafanal.

NafAnal
04-13-2002, 07:49 AM
yea, hence my incredibly bad eyesight. **** genetics....

bbc but can speak rudimentary cantonese, but true borns laugh at me cos of my ridiculous accent....

Sharky
04-13-2002, 07:55 AM
LOL! YOU GOTO IMPERIAL TOO!

LOL! STEREOTYPES COME TRUE!

Clever fu.ck.

Sharky
04-13-2002, 07:56 AM
I should've known as soon as u said u went to imperial ;)

dezhen2001
04-13-2002, 07:57 AM
:D

JasBourne
04-13-2002, 08:48 AM
We have a chinese guy in our kwoon. I know you asked about trouble with accents, and I couldn't say, he seems to be fine with it all.

I only jump in because last year something funny happened. This fella went back to Hong Kong, checked in with a few famous and highly venerated schools over there out of courtesy, and whomped every fighter they put up against him. It would seem our wingchun a bit mo bettah than they wingchun hehehehehehe.

Not trying to start a war or nothing, just making an observation about schools that rest on their famous laurels versus schools that actively seek to improve their understanding of the art. I think that's one of the great things about western societies - we constantly strive to improve. Seldom are we satisfied with "because its always been like this".

(these are broad generalized observations, don't get your knickers in a twist).

Kristoffer
04-13-2002, 09:30 AM
My chinese friend always laugh when she hears me count in mandarin. She's cantonese but still :rolleyes: Pocai!! ;) Hum Ga Ling!!!! :D :D

CanadianBadAss
04-13-2002, 10:33 AM
I'm the only non-chinese at my kwoon.
They seem to be fine with my accent. It's muatual thing though, they can't understand what I say, and I can't understand what they say.

NafAnal
04-13-2002, 12:15 PM
lol!! harsh but true....

there are a helluva lotta chinese here. they all tend to stick together, they take photo's of each other in the dining room too...

photos??? in the main dining hall??? sweet jeezus, and they wonder why people take the pi ss....

Sharky
04-13-2002, 12:18 PM
in my experience, chinese guys and gals really stick together, and don't like mixing with other people? It makes it really hard to get to know any. I just always find this.

</racism>

NafAnal
04-13-2002, 12:19 PM
I aint a clever fu ck. just off a 3rd and am about to get thrown out if i don't work....

spending too much time here....

NafAnal
04-13-2002, 12:21 PM
you could say that about any minority.... but yes it seems that way, we have our own societies etc.... imagine if someone set up a white's only society at your uni... people would be pi ssed.

But then again it's probably cos their english aint too hot....

too many generalisations... agggh

Sharky
04-13-2002, 12:24 PM
sorry yea, too many generalisations and u CAN say that about any minority.

and, you don't need a white society in the uk - by default england is a white society. they live in a white society. that would be like having a chinese society in china.

NafAnal
04-13-2002, 12:30 PM
most of my mates are white tho, i find it hard enuff to mix cos of language thingy.

I hear they had a satan worship soc over here at imperial albeit briefly.

The chinese are probably some of the most racist people you'll find, the language is pretty harsh when they descibe other races etc.... it aint done with too much respect. But then again i think everyone is inherently racist....

Generalising again but who cares....

HuangKaiVun
04-13-2002, 06:45 PM
I'm Taiwanese and speak neither Mandarin nor Cantonese.

Hence my pronunciation of terms in those two languages is really no better than that of native English speakers - which I also am.

Taiwanese is completely different from those two with there being basically no crossover.

diego
04-13-2002, 08:38 PM
natives hate the euros, euros hate the irish, the irish is down the street getting drunk

aint no born rascism imbedded here:)