PDA

View Full Version : Huaquan and modern wushu

northstar
04-14-2002, 10:08 AM
I've read that modern wushu changquan is based in part on huaquan. What is the original huaquan style like? How is it structured into forms and exercises and so on, and is it still practiced?

rik
04-14-2002, 06:00 PM
You bring up interesting subject. I was about the bring up a similar one.
During the early 1950's the PRC formed the ACSF (All China Sports Federation).
In 1953 the ACSF formed the PCSC (Physical Culture and Sports Commission). It was this commission that established a committee that was in charge of standardization, organization and promotion of modern Chinese martial sports. I hope you are following this : - )))

The PCSC's committee, called the Research Commission of Chinese Physical Culture was given the task of of standardizing and redesigning traditional Chinese martial arts in a way that was appropriate for the 'people'. Martial arts that were to be cleansed from the "old traditional ideas". One of the objectives was to take out lethal aspects of this arts and make these arts suitable for the masses to practice. They were then commissioned to popularize these 'modernized' arts. Books recording these forms were published beginning in 1955. The first major one was was an 8 volume series called " Reference Materials of China's Wushu History". The Chief Editor was Tang Hao. Smaller books were published as well. These forms resembled their traditional counter-parts but were, in a sense, sanitized : -)

Styles that were similar were given standardized basics and were grouped into 'divisions'. Changquan was one of these and and was composed of Cha Quan, Hua Quan, Hong ChangQuan and Pao Quan.
As I said above, these forms basically followed the traditional patterns.
Two of the Hong Changquan forms recorded in this period are found in traditional Shaolin Lohan Men, known as Da and Xiao Hong Changquan, are recognizable, albeit neutered. Sort of like tigers without teeth : -(

As a side note, the version of Da and Xiao Hong quan forms practiced by the modern monks of Shaolin Si bare no resemblance to these Hong Changquan forms.

Modern Wushu competition forms for the Changquan division took elements from the already revised traditional forms, added gymnastic movements and choreographic principles from gymnastics resulting in something that has little in common with their martial ancestors. These forms are truly the invention of the PCSC.
Rik
r.(shaolin)