PDA

View Full Version : Nobody lives forever!

AndyM
04-14-2002, 04:11 PM
Hi guys, gals n confused people,

I started training Wing Chun six months ago. Though I have been involved in another Chinese style for a while. I have a question I was hoping you might help me with.

I'd say I was of average intelligence, with an average capacity to learn. I'm 34 y/o but I can only get to one lesson a week. I am training with Samuel Kwok in the UK, who seems very, very good, and I am finding the classes I attend very enjoyable.

My question is; how long do you think it will take me to learn the three main forms ( I practice as much as I can )?

If this question is of no interest to you, then perhaps you could tell me, how long before I have an 'average' standard of Chi Sau?

Sorry, if these are selfish questions, but if you don't ask..........you don't get!

Thanks,

AndyM

yenhoi
04-14-2002, 05:04 PM
6 months.

CanadianBadAss
04-14-2002, 10:24 PM
I'd say more like 6 months and 2 days, give or take an hour

gnugear
04-14-2002, 11:02 PM
I think it took about 9 moths to get to chi sao ... maybe even a year.

I'm going on 3+ years of training, and still only do the first two forms.

We move at a slow and steady pace.

AdrianUK
04-15-2002, 02:43 AM
Heres my 2 cents

Go through the motions of all 3 forms, if you worked hard maybe 3 months, to apply and understand them, years !

I am at the 4 year mark and can just about apply chum kiu, as for chi sao its the same really, get rolling fairly quickly , apply after maybe a year, use effectively, well I have not got there yet !

Main thing is to work hard and think about each move as a move, not just a motion in the air, keep the application in focus as you train

Good Luck

Dave Farmer
04-15-2002, 03:17 AM
Hi Andy.

IMHO, it all depends on the individual.

If you apply your training and allow the Chi Sau to develop at a natural rate you will progress just fine.

I have had students who are obsessed with progression and they loose sight of where they are at the moment.

To use the analogy from 'Siu Lim Tao' : Don't worry too much about what is the big picture, concentrate only on the the little idea.

Hope I haven't come across as patronising, I don't mean to be!

Regards and Best wishes.

Dave F.

wingchunner
04-15-2002, 07:14 AM
Hello!

You asked:

>My question is; how long do you think it will take me to learn the three main forms ( I practice as much as I can )?

Since you have average intelligence, I hope you heed the first two responses and disregard the third. Because the third has to do with ego and not learning real wing chun skill.

My first response is this: don't be concerned about learning all the forms. Simply learning the forms will not get you far. Quantity of forms does not necessarily equal more skill. To simply be interested in learning the forms (in my understanding) means that you simply want to learn the motions, and, possibly, the principles utilized in the motions.

My second response is this: Concentrate only on learning the first form and be content with that only until your instructor informs you that they want to teach you the second form. Look at each form as a gift. Don't expect three gifts; be content with only one. It is chock full of stuff that I am still getting after almost a decade of training.

My third response is this: If, after you have read the above 2 responses, you still only want to know how long it will take you to learn the first and second forms, simply to learn the movements, 6 - 10 hours, but you would receive none of the principles (or understanding) behind the movements. Triple the time for learning SOME of the principles, and a lifetime for understanding the principles and concepts.

As I grow in Wing Chun knowledge and understanding, even though I know more, I see that I hardly know anything. The rabbit hole is deep, very deep. And the pool is extremely large.

I feel I need to state it again. Treat each thing that you learn as a gift and be satisfied with it. Play with it and learn from it as much as you can. Don't be a wonton child who, after opening one gift, simply wants to open the next gift. Be happy with the gift you have. You may have more than many others. If you get a second gift, consider yourself blessed.

Marty

yuanfen
04-15-2002, 07:57 AM
Depends on your concept of the self.
I was probably poor in chi sao a hundred years ago-- so I am trying to make up for it now.On another 100 years I should do pretty well.
When and how you do chi sao depends on your teacher and your own dedication. You should be doing some chi sao within 6 months. How well you do it... and how long it takes to become "average"? varies by teacher, student and regularity of practice.

AndyM
04-18-2002, 09:08 AM
Thanks folks,

I was really trying to get an idea of when I would realistically have gotten to the stage where I was starting to pick up an understanding of the forms, and applications for them.

The ultimate ambition wood be ( wood, get it ) to learn the wooden dummy form. Though I appreciate that you never stop learning from the forms.

Thanks again to everyone

AndyM

[Censored]
04-18-2002, 12:13 PM
If this question is of no interest to you, then perhaps you could tell me, how long before I have an 'average' standard of Chi Sau?

The average person does not practice Wing Chun. If the minority that do, the average person will quit within a year. Of the few that continue, the average will not practice very hard and learn to put Chi Sao training to practical use. So, if you only want to be average, I'd say you've already succeeded. :)

kj
04-18-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by [Censored]
[b]The average person does not practice Wing Chun. If the minority that do, the average person will quit within a year. Of the few that continue, the average will not practice very hard and learn to put Chi Sao training to practical use.

You hit that nail square on the head.
- kj

kungfu cowboy
04-19-2002, 12:17 AM
Its only a gift if its given for free (although it is a nice sentiment) . And wing chun doesn't have the same personal/spiritual meaning for everyone. Give me all my presents now, and I will play with them later, as I feel like it (slight exaggeration for emphasis) There is nothing inherently evil or disrespectful in this approach. Take from things what you will. Its just a matter of personal preference. It seems a little close-minded to insist that everyone's motivation or ideals be the same, or think that someone is any less sincere in their practice if they follow a different path.