PDA

View Full Version : What do you like the most?

PaulLin
04-15-2002, 12:06 AM
Many of us out here have experienced more than one style of martial art. I wondered if any one would like to share what is the most liked and lest favorit of the arts that one has experienced, it may be more than one style are most liked.

Just a try and see if there will be interesting/informative words will come out of this. Also it may give a introductory of many style of martial arts in personal views.:D

Tainan Mantis
04-15-2002, 04:26 AM
Likes and dislikes.
I divide MA into sporting and non sporting.
I have done both and studied with nearly 20 teachers.
The difference between what I like for the most part has to do with the teacher or the organization and not the style.

So right off the bat it turns into a question of which attrbutes in a teacher do you like?

"To teach the way I want to be taught"

PaulLin
04-15-2002, 04:15 PM
Sure there are more than just the factor of style that will determind a good teaching that you expected to be taught. Like you have brought up about the teacher/master and the orginization/learning environment. Other than all that, it also has to do with how your personality fit with the above.

I originally only asking about one factor of it--the style. But then, if you would like to talk about all/other factors that made your practices as what you are expected or not, that will be interesting too.

PS. A good teacher/master might not just taught you the way you want to be taught, he/she may also bring you more than what you expected.

Mantis9
04-15-2002, 05:04 PM
From a completely aesthetic point of view, I like PM (of course) the best. I have in freestyle wrestling, western boxing, TKD, and an Americanize karate.

I like to look back on these styles, not with disdain or dislike, but to rediscover their emphasis. Then find out how PM approaches it. I am always pleasently surprised by PM depth when rediscovering it through the lense of other style, whether from my personal history or others.

Bye

Tainan Mantis
04-16-2002, 07:28 AM
Sporting MA
-a clear goal of the purpose of this class. To enter and win tournaments.

examples that I liked
TKD
-non stop jumping round kicks for one whole class. I was kicked out of the class for looking like I was about to upchuck.

Thai boxing
-master one technique methodology

Judo
-feeling your guts jiggle and swish
-seeing little guys slam hulking monsters against their will.

BJJ
-method of teaching one technique for 2 people

Traditional
-method of teaching deadly techniques applied at full power for empty hand and weapons.

draco
04-16-2002, 07:29 AM
I like Tai Chi breathing and flowing movement, I incorperate its breathing and thoughts of circulation into other styles I practise. I also like the metaphysical and philosophical ideas I have gotten from my instruction, the truth about oneself is sometimes painful but healing.

Martial arts is an individual practise, I do not belong to any organization so guidelines do not exisits.

You are quite correct when saying that:

>Just a try and see if there will be interesting/informative words will come out of this. Also it may give a introductory of many style of martial arts in personal views.
>

flem
04-16-2002, 08:20 AM
i think pl's reply is valid, i don't feel as though the student should seek attributes, instead i believe it is the teacher who teaches what is lacking in the student-whether it is character flaws or that their stances are weak- that is what a good teacher does- as well as further developing strengths of course.
to me, all well developed styles, one's that have good roots, share a common trait in being applicable to most situations- both of a defense nature as well as personal development wise.
the thing i like best though is training is outside of the normal class structure. like, instead of the normal routine - doing one drill until you can't continue, or training in unfamiliar environments such as in the snow, hillsides, waist deep water, etc.

MightyB
04-16-2002, 08:44 AM
My experience is pretty limited, just 7* and a little Karate, but I would like to try some other martial arts.

I like Shuai Jou, but there's no school around where I live.
I also like Sambo and BJJ because, like it or not, ground fighting is here to stay.
I would like to learn some Aikido because of the group fighting focus.
I really like the Hee Il Cho approach to TKD.
And, last but not least, San Shou-- It really is it's own martial art.

dfedorko@mindspring.com
04-16-2002, 10:20 AM
my introduction to the Chinese arts. I have/had some of the humblest Masters who know some powerful things. Presently, I am learning Chen Tai Chi and Shaolin Kung Fu. I have really learned and experienced so much. I hope the Arts continue forever.

Damian

mantis108
04-16-2002, 11:46 AM
Good question Paul, a lot of the replies here are excellent as well.
I go for the experience. That to me is what I like most in what I do. At this point, I see neither style nor the person. I interact with novices who have no clue what KF is to people of very high calibur and well versed in a particular style (i.e Tainan Mantis) or various arts. Some of them have practical experiences with physical confrontation situations (ie Grandmaster Chiu and other of my mentors). Sometime when you try to do a technique according to the way you were taught to person that you are teaching, he responds differently not because he's being difficult but it is purely his nature response. Your ability to recognizing that in a fraction of a second and to neuturalize the situation and bring it back on course with what you have got is the most amazing thing. I see that in a lot of the good teachers in my Kung Fu experience. I believe the final admonition of GM Sun Lu Tang was "practice" ; and the final admonition of my Sigung GM Chiu Chuk Kai was "Sau Fa" (application of techniques). So to me the best stuff I like is practice Sau Fa. :)

Regards

Mantis108

PaulLin
04-17-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by mantis108
Sometime when you try to do a technique according to the way you were taught to person that you are teaching, he responds differently not because he's being difficult but it is purely his nature response. Your ability to recognizing that in a fraction of a second and to neuturalize the situation and bring it back on course with what you have got is the most amazing thing.

I think that is what Pushing Hands in TaiChi were drilling on so called "tein jer" (listening force) aiming for. The responds are depends on your feels of your opponent, your foundation, personality, experience, and your reflexed skills. In my point of view, all good arts, regardless of what style, will come up to this point when they are at a very high level. They may call it in other terms but it will have to accomplish the same things.

I see that in a lot of the good teachers in my Kung Fu experience. I believe the final admonition of GM Sun Lu Tang was "practice" ; and the final admonition of my Sigung GM Chiu Chuk Kai was "Sau Fa" (application of techniques). So to me the best stuff I like is practice Sau Fa. :)

Regards

Mantis108

GM Wei has said that "lain kung bu ru fong yao, foun yao bu ru jin shou." It basicly says that in martial arts, you start with practice, then it will be better if you can go visit other martial art friends for further improvement. For even more improvements that better than the visiting, is the real applying experiences. Nowadays, to have a real applying experience is not as easy as in the past, where when there is not that much lawers are around. The relation ship between practice and applying are like root and branch/leaves in a tree. To grow branch/leaves, one must has root first, and to expend roots, one must also has branch/leaves.

PaulLin
04-17-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by MightyB
My experience is pretty limited, just 7* and a little Karate, but I would like to try some other martial arts.

I like Shuai Jou, but there's no school around where I live.
I also like Sambo and BJJ because, like it or not, ground fighting is here to stay.
I would like to learn some Aikido because of the group fighting focus.
I really like the Hee Il Cho approach to TKD.
And, last but not least, San Shou-- It really is it's own martial art.

Mighty B, form what you have said, it gives me a feeling that you have your eye on too many things at once. I don't know if you have deep rooted into any single one style that you felt like the most comfortable to you. For learning multiple styles, I think that it is better to start with only 1 or 2 style that are either closed to or in complementry of each other. After the root was deeply/firmly planed, then move wider to other styles. In this way one can avoid the "Jack of all traits" situation.

PaulLin
04-17-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Tainan Mantis
Sporting MA
-a clear goal of the purpose of this class. To enter and win tournaments.

examples that I liked
TKD
-non stop jumping round kicks for one whole class. I was kicked out of the class for looking like I was about to upchuck.

I considered TKD as the most useless in real combet situation in compare to most others. The way they train the kicks, not rooted at all, just purely go for the speed, reach, and height. No open doors before kicks, almost no effective close range skills. TKD was like only made for tournaments--where no grabs, throws, joint lock, etc. are allowed. Like you have said, it is purely a sport, not an art.

Thai boxing
-master one technique methodology

Thai boxing/kick boxing, is one of the handy style, in my opinion, if you are looking for a fast way to fight. However, I don't see any advantage for a long term practice. This style again, no root. If you know how to throw them, they will give you the hands/foot/arms/legs that you need for a grib and also the momentum that you need to throw them. As higher lever in that style's attack seems to be more havier throw. But then agian, if ther throwing foundations and experiences are not supporting, then you will be smacked really badly.

Judo
-feeling your guts jiggle and swish
-seeing little guys slam hulking monsters against their will.

BJJ
-method of teaching one technique for 2 people

I think these 2 are related, BJJ is came form Judo. Than again, I don't have all the history sources to back up that(maybe some one can help). In compare to a good Chinese Martial Art, Judo has no stances foundation(they don't care about stand and fight that much any ways). However, the stances and other standing foundations has to do with throwing abilities too. If I put the applications in root-branch relationship as in develop/learning, it will be: striking(punch, kick, elbow, hip, etc.), then throwing, then join locks(submissive moves). That is striking foundations will support further growth of throwing and throwing foundations will support further growth of join locks. To train in the later one without proper support is like to grow without the support of root, not far it can go.

Traditional
-method of teaching deadly techniques applied at full power for empty hand and weapons.

This is where you can find real CMA. It should come with roots that support further developments in physical, mental, applications, and life. A good root will give a infinitive room for improvements and developments.

PaulLin
04-17-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by flem
i think pl's reply is valid, i don't feel as though the student should seek attributes, instead i believe it is the teacher who teaches what is lacking in the student-whether it is character flaws or that their stances are weak- that is what a good teacher does- as well as further developing strengths of course.

Very true.

to me, all well developed styles, one's that have good roots, share a common trait in being applicable to most situations- both of a defense nature as well as personal development wise.

that is where the Internal arts was aiming for in the beginning--the root. If a external art is high, it will include this root also. The differences between them is only that is the root existed for applying or the applying existed for the root.

the thing i like best though is training is outside of the normal class structure. like, instead of the normal routine - doing one drill until you can't continue, or training in unfamiliar environments such as in the snow, hillsides, waist deep water, etc.

that is pretty advanced. In internal, they will push themselves up to the level that even they try their best, but cannot maintain the requirements(such as relexed, weight sink, breathing/inner/mind rhythums, clearness of the moves, flows of the moves,etc.), not push up the the point that you can't continue. And yet, to defend the requirements while experiencing all different environments is only the high level artist can taken on, the beginners can only dream of.

PaulLin
04-17-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by draco
I like Tai Chi breathing and flowing movement, I incorperate its breathing and thoughts of circulation into other styles I practise. I also like the metaphysical and philosophical ideas I have gotten from my instruction, the truth about oneself is sometimes painful but healing.

TaiChi is one of the best MA, for it can be add to any MA(Chinese or non-Chinese) and greatly improve them. It will opened up the side that deep into the analyzing of what are you doing inside/outside of body and mind. You will have a much better understanding of why are some moves are doing in some ways. It is a great treature of MA, only if you have the real source.

Martial arts is an individual practise, I do not belong to any organization so guidelines do not exisits.

While you don't belong to any organization, but the environment of learning still exist. There will be a guideline that fit either the society, family, or nature some where out there.

Crazy Bugger
04-20-2002, 10:43 AM
Great Topic:

I have taken a few martial arts in the past. This has been what I personally have liked/disliked.

Hung Gar Kung Fu- (South Bay Kung Fu Club)
Great traditional martial arts. Amazing workouts, amazing iron body training, emphasis on combat effectiveness of movements and techniques pretty much right off the bat.

Shotokan Karate-Liked, the length and reach of the strikes. Was very linear, great workouts. Stressed combat effectiveness early on. After having been in CMA for 3 years, it didn't flow for me quite like Hung Gar did.

8 Step Preying Mantis Kung Fu
Like: The sheer size and completeness of the system. The system itself, the style. The devastating mantis techniques.

PaulLin
04-26-2002, 02:40 PM
I like 8 step mantis too. Especially that it consist both internal and external aspects that allow the practioners to learn both sides freely as they see fit. It not just rooted, also linked(most of other arts tend to focus on root, then lost link, or focus linking and lost root).

The techniques are relatable and researchable, like the 5 element theory(produce others and defeat others, etc)

The training fits long and short terms benifits.

It comes with philosophy that linked to higher spiritual developments.

It has practical applications with every moves in foundation drills and forms.

I would say it is a bridge linked the internal arts to the external arts.

PaulLin
04-26-2002, 03:09 PM
Yang style Taichi is great. If comparing with Chen style, Yang focus more into internal. Although they all will come to the same conclusion in a very high level, I think practicing Yang style is fitter for my personality. I can use Yang Taichi to focus totally on Qi aspect without the distubing of the thought of opponent. In Chen or Wu style, some how I will always be reminded of opponent that I can't totally focus the way I wanted. In Yang style, I can choose to include opponent or exclude opponent thoughts as I see the needs.

PaulLin
04-26-2002, 03:34 PM
Ba Gua is one of the top arts in internal field. When the 8 step incorperate Ba Gua into mantis, there is a very important concept in here that I am talking about now.

That is the way of unifying and organizing the body in both physical and invisible Qi aspect. I will put this in a sence of Western Chemistry explaination. When you look at the graph of Yin-Yang and Ba Gua, it shows a bisic stablest structure of atom with 8 electrons arond the nuecleus. That is the ideal situation you want for your physical body and Qi. When you look at it, you will find it is symmetrically linked and coordinated. That is what you must follow in your physical and Qi wise as you practice your arts.

So put that in the practice, if you have dislink between your limps or between shoulders and hips, you are causing the atom to split. It will be a ionic bound by electrons rather than the single stable atom. That makes you weaker.

Incroperated with that, 8 step must check the link among all corporated, symmetrical parts of body and the firmness of center in every single moves, both in foundations and forms. Just like in Ba Bua. By doing that, the body will natually be in a higher density and result just like body conditioning without injuring the body.

Xing-Yi applied that too. In Taichi, it was mildly enforced rather than strictly enforced as Ba Gua, Xing Yi, and 8 step.

PaulLin
04-28-2002, 04:17 PM
Xing-Yi is very fast-qi-building and practicing-convinient internal art. I like these qualities. A Xing-Yi walk in the morning is nothing else can compare with. 8 step mantis has incorporated the bow-arrow linear force into it (bow in the body structure requirement and arrow in the 3 points-one line moving requirement). Most high known Bagua masters has Xing-Yi background.

draco
04-28-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by PaulLin
Yang style Taichi is great.

I have been doing a Wu style tai chi for its 108 movements (actually I think there is more than 108 movements). I have a book with Yang style theory and I find it very interesting. I believe my training in theory is called feng shuay (sp)

PaulLin
04-29-2002, 10:16 PM
It will depends on the method to count it. Some counts Kao as a transition of BaiHeLiangChe, and PeiShenChuai in some forms has taken out 3 of them. Only the first ward off to push sequence counts 4 moves, rest forms count that one move. If I count total of all, it can come up to 124 postures.

draco
05-01-2002, 08:39 AM
I never tried to count the postures, I might not know a posture that was smoothed over from original. Does this matter? I don't know. Focusing on how I feel during the form seem more important.

I have found that practice will get me to my higher self, a simple answer to a long awaited question.

yu shan
05-03-2002, 11:17 PM
I like experiencing the flavors of different Mantis Kung Fu...it is all good!

PaulLin
05-04-2002, 12:04 AM
Draco,
From what I know, the first important issue in Taichi is the mind and chi link, and that will relying havyly on the feelings. The difference between Taichi and others is that Taichi is best to train inside out rather than out side in. If you care about forms and postures more than your feelings between your mind and chi, then you are going to long way.

So yet, I agree with how you are focusing on the feeling. However, the Taichi was made up with 13 postures before it was made into a flowing form. The 13 postures needs to be all included to have a complete basic foundation. They are Pung, Lu, Ji, An, Tsi, Liea, Jow, Kao, ChianJin, HoTui, ZhouGu, YaoPan, and ChunDing. All the postures in Taichi are based from these postures. Among all the styles, Chen, Yang, Wu, Woo, Sun, and many others, they have their postures in forms different in many cases, but they all must based on the 13 foundational postures.

I think you have the right direction on the focuse, postures are only the tools for serving the mind and chi in this case, and the feeling(in the main concept, there is Chun Zhen An Shu, best to maintain with feeling, not by looks) between the mind and chi is more important. If you can find the smoothed out postures in the future, that is good. If not yet, don't mess up the feelings just because those postures. Hope you the best in practicing.:)

draco
05-04-2002, 07:53 AM
That was well written Mr. Lin. I don't feel that postures are limited to Taichi, the practise of movement, dance, postures circulates the blood and this can be found in all cultures doesn't have to be Martial Art related.

I believe speciffic movements help people in their personal needs for physical and mental health. But the only way to really understand without words is by practicing. So simple the word practice.

>
I think you have the right direction on the focuse, postures are only the tools for serving the mind and chi in this case, and the feeling(in the main concept, there is Chun Zhen An Shu, best to maintain with feeling, not by looks) between the mind and chi is more important. If you can find the smoothed out postures in the future, that is good. If not yet, don't mess up the feelings just because those postures. Hope you the best in practicing.
>

I like that statement.

PaulLin
05-05-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by draco
That was well written Mr. Lin. I don't feel that postures are limited to Taichi, the practise of movement, dance, postures circulates the blood and this can be found in all cultures doesn't have to be Martial Art related.

Thanks. Eventhough the internal benefits are not limited only to Taichi, for example, like Yoga and other types of ChiKung, I still value Taichi over the others. All good internal ways as these, must acheive the harmony of mind rhythm(brain waves, includes thoughts and moods), chi rhythm(metabolics, like breathing and heart beat), and physical rhythm. Taichi, different then the others, even futher out in training of harmonizing out side of one's own body with the opponent's force/momentum and physical body in the application. That part is what I think is better than others in life long training, not what Yoga and dancing could achieve.

Shimbad
05-22-2002, 08:25 AM
Right now I am doing Northern Prayis Mantis with Sifu Geoge. I did ****o Ryu for 3 years, a japanese Martial Art, but I think that depends on your willing to train. I like Karate because of the physical training but I prefere Kung Fu:cool:

dragontounge2
06-04-2002, 08:11 AM
Karate- Dislike now when I look back on it. But it was very use
ful in 1st & 2nd grade got into alot of fights almost daily only lost one. I can see how useless the katas are and how the kicks had so many short comings, how alot of the blocks where useless against a strong fast arm. BUt I still love nuchakus!

White crane hungar- Very effective gets to the point love the aggresive training.

Wing chun- Same as above. My favorite art.

Boxing- I love the training.:o

PaulLin
06-04-2002, 11:29 AM
Itz so nice to hear many other artists. I wish there will be more.

fa_jing
06-04-2002, 12:20 PM
Love Wing Chun. Loved 7* mantis, but could not continue, there's too much emphasis on the forearms, I have old nerve damage in one wrist and can't harden part of my forearm.

TKD - had fun, but this art has very little depth. Boring after a while (no offense.)

Took one Shaui Chiao seminar, loved that too!

PaulLin
06-05-2002, 02:12 AM
Try to condition the meridiums in the forearms instead of hardening the muscles. Good Chi Kung practicing can help too.

Brad
06-05-2002, 06:06 AM
My favorite styles right now are Taijiquan and Xingyiquan. I originaly started Taiji just to help heal my knee and give myself something to compete in since I couldn't do Changquan anymore, but it's quickly become my main style :-) This summer I'm going to try and go into a lot more depth with the fighting aspect. I also feel that it's one of the rare arts that can really compliment any other style you do even if you don't explore too deep into it.

PaulLin
06-05-2002, 11:02 AM
Its so sad that a good style becomes rare.

Frogman
06-05-2002, 11:54 AM
PL,
Good topic!
I have trained in four different systems over the last twelve years, I now train in northern mantis and by far enjoy it the most. It has a lot of the things I learned in my previous schools plus so much more. I am now trying to get deeper into the mental and philosophical aspects (I have a long way to go). The more I learn about chi power the more I want to learn, as a strong believer in the presents of this energy. Physics 101, energy can not be created or destroyed, but it can be harnessed and focused. I feel that KF’s roots in these philosophical areas make it well rounded to every aspect of life. I also feel that to many people join MA to learn to fight with no interest in many of the other great things it offers. (Not that I can say different of myself).

As for my previous training:

Chung MOO DUA!! (doo), These guys train so hard they made you believe it was the best thing since cooked meat. 8 styles combined into one it had to be the best thing, NOT! We did work out hard but after two and half years I had no real forms to speak of. We did do a lot of self defiance app’s and I still remember some of them. I would not recommend this style to anyone.

BJJ I really enjoyed jiu-jitsu it was new and the hardest thing for me to learn was to be soft and relax. I like being able to get thrown across the room and get up no problem. The only thing about the place I trained was that if you did not know every thing about the UFC you really didn’t have anything to talk to anyone about. Ground fighting is good to know about but has little dept as far as what I was looking for.

Kempo these guys made CMD look like they knew what they were talking about. I was not there long but leaving class and not really breaking a sweet, was not what I was looking for. Of course, I did like their philosophy on the movement and how they applied physics to MA.

In all I feel my MA journey has taken me to where I want to be. I will continue to train in KF but am glad I had the exposure of these other styles as I have a better understanding of what I want and what it means to me.

PL, in my next post I am going to ask you what you think of Free Style not Bruce but more like letting go and just using your technique as it flows out and have fun with movement.
RibHit,
fm

NorthernMantis
06-05-2002, 02:37 PM
Chung MOO DUA!! (doo), These guys train so hard they made you believe it was the best thing since cooked meat. 8 styles combined into one it had to be the best thing, NOT! We did work out hard but after two and half years I had no real forms to speak of. We did do a lot of self defiance app’s and I still remember some of them. I would not recommend this style to anyone.

That's because CMD is a cult. It has been talked on kfo many times and as far back as I can remeber i.e. '99. I hope you didn't believe the story about Iron Kim making that flying kick off the 11th floor of a builing. NBC did a news special on those guys and Iron Kim got thrown in jail by the FBI for tax evasion. There have been also many articles online made by ex cult members, some who were stalked and injured. They are way scary. Just letting everyone know.

PaulLin
06-05-2002, 03:43 PM
Happy to hear that you have found your way to the chi and philosophy. Passing this gate would lead you off the surface and into the depth. That is what will make your arts an every day life part and totally harmonize with you. Many practicioners out there at the surface can't do that and must sacrafised peace for the sense of security of not being beat up. No one can live that way every day.

About the style-free issue, I think it has to come through some levels before you are able to do this.

1st, one must be able to observe, correctly and in detail.

2nd, must be able to copy what you observed. That will show how good your observing skill when you actually put them in work.

3rd, must make the work as consistance as possible by repeating. Need to repeat as often as possible. This is where the KungLi cames form.

4th, a total harmonization of the arts. It will showed in your reflections naturally. You will not need to think to apply.

After that , I think it will be good for style free to begin. If any of these are not complete, I think there will be problems if one goes prematurely to start the style free.

Frogman
06-13-2002, 10:44 AM
PaulLin,
So what your saying is that in order to do kung fu in a free style format you first need to have a strong understanding of the technique. I understand what your saying in that manner, but what I really am getting at is how I like to, well play. I train hard doing my forms and line drills and some times I’ll just jump around trying different things. It seems easier to understand the higher techniques when I just let myself go. It is not my intention to change anything I simply train because I have fun doing it. People that train to seriously I doubt ever really enjoy what they’re doing. So what I’m saying is I like to just relax and have fun. Sometimes doing this, techniques fall into place and offer further understanding, of course, other times I’m just falling.

fm

yu shan
06-13-2002, 09:20 PM
I like 7* power, with the fa-jing of Secret Door!

Ye Gor
06-13-2002, 11:00 PM
I think all true traditional martial arts are good.

And all 'newbies' are bad. Like JKD, for example. (I think Bruce wanted to be a grand master, so he made up his very own.)

As I understand it, in the old days (at least in China), fighters found out what's good and what's not the same way that gunfighters did in the 'old West': they challanged and... the results were there. So the traditional MAs have been tried in the real sense of the word.

So I have to agree with TainanM: any real style is good. It's a matter of personal preference, but most importantly, availability of a great (not good, but great) teacher.

My experience (from which I talk) is: boxing (a little), Shotokan (a little), Wah Lum (some), BJJ (a little), Chen taichi (some). The only comments about them I can really make: a) boxing's got no kicks, b) BJJ is not good for 2 or more opponents (since you gotta go down to the ground to twist'em into a pretzel... although that's arguable).

yu shan
06-15-2002, 04:47 PM
Hey YeGor

What are your comments about Wah Lum? You did more than "some". The best part of your WL training, was your teacher. :)

simon_peter
06-15-2002, 08:13 PM
I'm taking Tai Chi Praying Mantis from a sifu I really respect. I just love the fact that its real kung fu. If I knew what the heck I was doing (as in, had more than a few months experience), I suppose I could come up with more reasons. Right now its a vague, 'This is really, really fun' feeling.

However, the Yang Tai Chi is something else. Learning how to relax, feeling the little magnetic-type push/pull of chi, being able to KNOW when you're 'in the groove' and 'feeling it'... I LOVE that. Its really something completely different and HIGHLY intriguing.

yu shan
06-15-2002, 08:30 PM
Hey Simon_Peter

Interested in your Tai Chi Mantis, would like to know a lil about it and you. Have a good day.

ripdogmantis@worldnet.att.net

C-ya, Jim

PaulLin
06-16-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Frogman
PaulLin,
So what your saying is that in order to do kung fu in a free style format you first need to have a strong understanding of the technique. I understand what your saying in that manner, but what I really am getting at is how I like to, well play. I train hard doing my forms and line drills and some times I’ll just jump around trying different things. It seems easier to understand the higher techniques when I just let myself go. It is not my intention to change anything I simply train because I have fun doing it. People that train to seriously I doubt ever really enjoy what they’re doing. So what I’m saying is I like to just relax and have fun. Sometimes doing this, techniques fall into place and offer further understanding, of course, other times I’m just falling.

fm

I think there are two sides to approach the training, one is to start form your heart and push outward, and other one is to start with out side forms and then develope inward.

Some people are better to emphasis on one of the side havier and some are better to emphasis these 2 equaly. In the beggining, they would appeares to be very different and not go alone with each other at all. However, when you reatch at certain level, they will becomes the 2 sides of a same thing.

So, people can have the enjoyment/heart with in the regulation of forms/drills to begin with, and latter on having the enjoyment/heart grow out of it and have the forms/drills as the supports at the ground base.

To focus one mind/heart and the forms/drills follow, is more of internal way, and reverse, is more of external.

That are what I can think of on this topic.

Frogman
06-26-2002, 06:16 AM
PualLin,
Thank you for the input. This is some good things to think about while I train. I like doing drills and forms and the feeling after a hard work out. When I am trying deferent things like experimenting with my techniques trying to understand how it all goes together. Most of the time I will do what feels good and moves that I like. This may limit me but I still enjoy it and feel I get a lot out of it. Growing up watching 1970s Hong Kong Kung Fu movies I guess I am hoping to reenact something from my childhood. I would have to say in reference to the subject of the thread that the Best style is the one that make the practitioner feel good about themselves and what they’re doing.

fm
:D :D
RibHit