PDA

View Full Version : Using the elements !!

BIU JI
04-15-2002, 04:21 PM
I'm curious to know who studies closely dim mak , using the 5 elements and Yin/Yang theory in understanding and breaking down their internal arts. For those who use their art martially.

Has anyone who may have or still do study a external style as well have a preference for internal arts .;)

Chris McKinley
04-15-2002, 07:17 PM
I'm all of the above. What would you like to know?

guohuen
04-15-2002, 08:39 PM
Ditto!

Ray Pina
04-16-2002, 06:53 AM
I'm all but the Dim Mok. I'm not at that point yet -- just know the core places to hit to cause damage.

Anyway, I was 100% external. Now I'm devoted to internal. I used to love, and still do, Hung Gar's Earth element. A heavy blow. I've changed it a bit, made it smaller, more useful, but iBguess that's just its natural progression anyway. Have to learn it big before making it small.

BIU JI
04-18-2002, 05:46 AM
Sorry to take so long replying ! Well I was just curious as to how much training others do with Dim Mak, if it is on partners or purely theory. Do you actually perform knock outs etc ?!

I believe it is safe to do only about 15 mins/week on points, I mean real training not just pressing abit to get abit of pain. Always have to be careful with Dim Mak !;)

Chris McKinley
04-18-2002, 06:46 PM
I've done practice with striking the points for real, including KO shots. After studying neurophysiology, I'm far more reticent to do them these days. Your reference to 15 min./week is the well-known George Dillman recommendation. It's not bad, assuming the partners lack knowledge of the ramifications of the strikes. However, it's important to keep in mind that not all point strikes are the same. Some should never be struck full force in practice, others can recuperate quickly with few side effects. Without knowing, keeping things to a minimum is wisely erring on the side of caution.

BIU JI
04-19-2002, 08:34 AM
I've recently being introduced to it and tried to do some research on it and abit of hands on introduction. Nothing too much but enough to get a better idea of the ramifications. It's always been one of the study areas to eventually go but up until recently I kept my main focus on the forms and training to get together before trying to swallow something like Dim mak.
With study and questions I'm getting a better idea but it certainly opens doors which get you deeper into your art and yourself, although it seems to be for every one door opens another 10 are waiting.:D

Nice to see another level heh !