PDA

View Full Version : Punches per second

IronFist
04-15-2002, 06:38 PM
Hey, before when I was doing hard, full intent punches I could do 4 per second. Now when I take your air punching advice and lose most of the tension and not tense up at the end I can do 6.6 per second. Is this good or bad?

btw, I'm sure I couldn't keep it up over the course of a few minutes, but when I just mess around here for a few seconds I got that many. I guess I'll be reaching 1000 sooner than I thought.

If I ever feel like doing 1000.

IronFist

gnugear
04-15-2002, 07:59 PM
I bet I can only do 3-4.

But I did 600 on the sandbag yesterday:)

PHILBERT
04-15-2002, 08:35 PM
about 6, but I wasn't trying too much. Im sure if I tried harder, maybe, *maybe* 7. I'm pretty sure I can do more, but I just got back from class, so I am tired. We did...around 1300 in class today.

IronFist
04-15-2002, 09:12 PM
geez. Talk about high reps :)

IronFist

jesper
04-16-2002, 12:57 AM
When I was younger, we used to do a lot of airpunching in groups.

It seemed 5-7 punches a sec was the norm, but I have heard of people going as far as 9-10. Havent seen it though so who knows.

But just remember speed is NOT everything.

Dave Farmer
04-16-2002, 01:44 AM
One 'Master' in the UK claims to complete 35 punches in 3 seconds on his web site.

I honestly can't see how this is humanly possible though.

IMHO as long as you have a reasonable pace and relaxation, you get the job done in the first one or two punches anyway.

Regards

Dave F

black and blue
04-16-2002, 02:20 AM
Too much focus on speed these days. One punch per second is still a possible hit in the blink of an eye. Accuracy and good structure of the punch are surely the most important attributes.

That and the ability to change direction when your opponent alters angle. I try to focus more on my relaxation rather than speed of punch.

Duncan

Mr Punch
04-16-2002, 04:20 AM
The only times I was timed I clocked up 7, 7 and 8 (over 4 seconds each time, averaged). I know I'm fast but I reckon the timekeeper was a duffer!

The last three posts are pretty spot on though. I don't know how powerful the punches were but I think they were relaxed enough to change technique.

We didn't count 'points' of a second btw. .6 of a punch is a bit useless!!

S.Teebas
04-16-2002, 05:22 AM
What's the benifit you get from punching so many times?

Do you find your power increasing after 'X' amount of punches?

dezhen2001
04-16-2002, 07:00 AM
well, i dunno how many i can do. i'd rather worry about being in the right place at the right time to hit, than how many punches i can do per second :)

david

Mr Punch
04-16-2002, 07:15 AM
That's why I've only done it the once. We were waiting for the sifu and someone brought out a stopwatch!

Usually I practice slowly and carefully, with maybe 1/4 of the reps for speed after that, mainly for endurance, relaxing under fast pressure and building up on the fast-twitch used for punching.

I defend speed because I'm naturally fast, but I don't advocate concentrating on speed particularly.

It's a waste of (not very much) time!

But when you hit someone for in a 'situation' you don't get that nice environment where you can screw your body down into the right power-generating rooted stance, or the ideal position, so it is useful to practice multiple punching. One punch is only rarely going to nail someone.

And yes, of course your power decreases over time. So concentrate on relaxing and positioning!;)

Jax
04-16-2002, 07:35 AM
I used to do 9 a second before I injured my wrist.
I just timed myself then for 8, it's fast because I just
came back from training and my arms are still warm.
I remember reading an article saying Bruce lee
was clocked at just over 120 in 10 seconds.
That would make it 12 per second and 36 in 3 seconds.
The article then said a Mexican boxer was recorded doing
about 122 in 10 secs (not hooks and uppercuts I hope :D).
Of course I read that a few years back, so I (or the article)
could be mistaken, but that sounds right to me.
I want to know how fast a good western boxer
can throw hooks, crosses & uppercuts. <<Sharkey?
I can only do about 3 a second.

fmann
04-16-2002, 10:23 AM
When I was younger, I could hit 10/sec but only for like 2 secs and they weren't always on target. Now I can do maybe 7-8/sec but barrel them down accurately for longer periods of time.

Ironfist's data is a good example of: Speed comes from relaxation. When you "try" to go fast, you end up slowing yourself down. Just go and do it and relax and you end up being able to punch faster.

And I agree with the above statements that 1 good punch/sec is much better than 10 sloppy punches w/ no power/sec.

Shaolin-Akira
04-16-2002, 12:31 PM
in my kung fu school (shaolin, but we practice anything from bagua to kam na sao) we do 5 min open air punching in a low horse stance, if you get a nice 5 punches per second, its not that hard to reach past 1000 open air at least.... we normaly warm up with that and do some puch hands and hand games, then we go on to lower body stuff.