PDA

View Full Version : Anyone train in Choy Lay Fut AND Wing Chun ???

WCFighter
03-18-2001, 08:10 PM
Hi everyone,

I understand Bruce Lee is quoted to have said
that he really respects CLF because it is the
only style he knew where you can properly learn
to handle more than one opponent at the same time.

For this reason, I am curious about CLF.

Would these two styles compliment each other?
Does CLF teach ground fighting?
Are all the attacks in CLF circular, or are there
some linear attacks?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

CLFNole
03-18-2001, 08:39 PM
Choy Lay Fut, as with most kung fu styles does not have much groundfighting. CLF does have many circular attacks such as the sow choy, cup choy and gwa choy, but does have numerous linear attacks usually done with a variety of panther fists.

Combining CLF with wing chun might be good since it would be combining good long range and short range techniques.

As a CLF practioner I prefer to keep the CLF rather pure, but if someone wishes to combine techniques, more power to them.

When praticing martial arts everyone should have an open mind because man created martial arts, martial arts did not create man.

Peace.

WCFighter
03-18-2001, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the info.

Don't worry, I wasn't planning to mix
the styles into yet another hybrid style.

How many years does it take to obtain a Sifu
level in CLF ? ; if someone trains seriously and
regularly?

Again just curious.

Thanks

CLFNole
03-18-2001, 09:44 PM
I have been training for over 8 years now. I trained 7 days a week when the school was open all of the time. We have cut it back to 6 days per week and I go 4-5 times a week now.

As far as becoming a sifu I guess it depends on who you talk to. I am one of the senior instructors at my school and wouldn't classify myself as a sifu, yet there are people I know who trained for 3-4 years and went and opened their own schools.

If you open your own school you will be called sifu by your students. Whether or not your actually qualified or not is up for debate. I feel when your sifu gives you his blessing to open your own school then you are a sifu otherwise you are an advanced practioner/student.

Peace.

Ben Gash
03-19-2001, 01:55 AM
I do CLF and WC. I like the Bong Sau and the trapping drills from WC, but on the whole I like CLF for both long and short range. CLF contains a lot of standing grappling in it's forms, just practice it on the floor and make the necessary adjustments.

"Weapons are the embodiments of fear,
the wise use them only when they have no choice"
Lao Tzu

jutsow
03-20-2001, 10:46 PM
ahh.....forget it. why bother. you already know what im going to say anyway.