PDA

View Full Version : To anyone who has used WingChun in a real fight...

straight blast
04-15-2002, 10:42 PM
Something I have got to ask:

How did you find fighting with a rooted stance as opposed to a more lightfooted, mobile one? Rooting is obviously very important and I know different lineages have different ideas on firm yet mobile, but I'm talking about the likes of a Kickboxer or someone like that, always hopping around on their toes. I still have problems adjusting to sinking my weight 'cos of the light bouncy stance I used to use.

Which do the people who've actually fought (and from a stance at that!) prefer? Which actually worked? I'm going to stick to the rooting thing (emptying my cup once again :) ) I'm just curious to see what others think.

jesper
04-16-2002, 12:47 AM
There is a time and place for everything.

Rooting is good, but dont just stand paralyzed

Its good you work on your rooting skills. Its something not easily learned. Once you learned it you will feel much more comfortable moving around since, you are able to instinctly root yourself instantly.

vingtsunstudent
04-16-2002, 01:09 AM
just because you have both feet flat on the floor shouldn't mean you have to lack mobility.
i have friends who are boxers & also have had many ex-boxers come in to either take a look or join the class & the one thing that generally impresses them most is our footwork.
like everything else it is a matter of practice, no more no less.
and yes i have been involved in just a couple ;) of altercations over the years & footwork is probably the most important aspect if you want end up on the right side of the equation, any fool can throw their hands foward but the better fool will use his feet to move into & out of a position to hit & defend against an opponent.
vts

Dave Farmer
04-16-2002, 02:33 AM
VTS, you hit the nail bang on there.

regards

Dave F

Mr Punch
04-17-2002, 05:23 AM
just because, sometimes good threads with good, concise answers get consigned to page 4 before you know it!