PDA

View Full Version : Attn: GinSueDog!

Loke
04-16-2002, 02:45 PM
Hey,

You had replied to my thread a couple of weeks back on BJJ. There you'd mentioned having studied at OC Kickboxing (Daniel Sullivan's school). What was your impressions of his school, and which classes did you attend? I've been thinking about visiting, but thought I'd ask. How did you like that school over the IMB Academy in Torrance?

And what were the reasons you decided to go with Chris Brennan's Next Gen school?

I still haven't decided on which BJJ school to join, and I've been looking at some other options as well (since IMB and OCK seems to offer BJJ as well).
Thanks in advance,

Loke

qeySuS
04-16-2002, 03:25 PM
Sorry to Hijack your thread but i also have a question for Ginsue! :)

How long is Next Generation open on saturdays? Just wondering because that's the day i'll be arriving and wont land until around 18:00-19:00 and if it closes early i'll have to make arrangements to sleep somewhere until sunday.

qeySuS
04-16-2002, 06:25 PM
ttt

Loke
04-16-2002, 10:04 PM
TTT

GinSueDog
04-16-2002, 10:58 PM
Loke,
I really didn't like the time I spent at OC Kickboxing very much. Daniel is a decent JKD instructor but I got the strong impression from him that he was a lot more interested in locking students into contracts then anything else. I also had issues with a few other things at OC Kickboxing but I don't want to get into it too much here. The one good thing about OC Kickboxing was that there were a lot of hot girls working out there:D

IMB was a really great place to workout at. Richard Bustillo is a great JKD instructor and an even better boxing coach. The one problem I had with IMB was the size of the classes and the fact that they spend IMO not enough time on each technique taught in there JKD class and that no sparring occurred until phase II, although the Muay Thai class you started sparring on day one. Over all a great school though and no contract. I left IMB mainly because I got tired of making the drive.

If you are looking for a school that offers BJJ and some other things I would definitely look into the IMB Academy. Dan Inosanto's Academy would also be a good place to look into as he has a few very good instructors there and offers a wider range of options from BJJ to Shooto to Muay Thai to JKD. If you want something in OC, Next Generation is a great place to look into. Paul Vunak also has a school down in SJC although I have never trained with him, I have trained privately with one of his instructors who was pretty good at his stuff, although I tend to avoid most JKD instructors these days. There are also a few places in HB and Fountain Valley you may want to look into.

As for me going with Chris Brennan, well I just felt I was getting more out of his instruction. Everything Chris teaches he has done to someone either in the ring, competition, or in training and it shows in his instruction. There is really little theory involved in his instruction. With the other instrucotrs I just had to go through too much theory, would that distruction work the way it is suppose too? Could I even pull it off and so on? Plus his school is ten minutes from my house which helps a lot.

qeySuS,
There are always people there training or kicking back. Just call ahead and let Chris know. Shoot me an email and let me know when you'll be in town.

Lates,
ED

qeySuS
04-17-2002, 07:45 AM
k, i'll just let him know.

I'll just tell you here insted of email :) I booked my flight yesterday, i'll be arriving at 18:30 or so at L.A. time on the saturday June 1st.

Loke
04-17-2002, 10:36 AM
GSD,
Thanks for the info. Sounds like OCK is out for me... I am not a huge fan of contracts.

I'll check into IMB Academy a little further to see if I can actually make their evening classes. I work in Cypress/Seal Beach area so drive isn't that bad, but in rush hour traffic I dunno...

The Inosanto Academy would be very cool but that's almost ruled out since I'll never make the classes with that drive...

I live in North OC (Fullerton), so I may check into Next Generation Academy. It's sort of out of the way but it sounds like a good school. I really would like to have the option to learn grappling along with standup. How do they structure their classes at NG? Is it a hardcore NHB type school or would it be ok for an semi-out of shape newbie like me?

If you have any other recommendations in OC for the type of training I'm looking for let me know!

Thanks bro'
Loke

GinSueDog
04-17-2002, 06:21 PM
Loke,
I think the most important thing is to find someplace that is easy access for you. Either close to your home or work.

NG offers kickboxing and Jiu Jitsu classes monday thru thursday plus a wrestling class on Wednesdays. On friday nights they have the NHB fight class. Saturdays is open mat. Pretty much anybody at almost any fitness level can fit in, it just depends on how intense or how high of a level you wish to take your training and workout.

I suggest checking out the IMB Academy, the Machados, and Caique's place in Torrance. You may also want to check out HB and Founain Valley, I know there are a few schools there that offer both stand up and grappling. Most JKD schools also offer BJJ as well as the normal JKD mix. You may want to look into Krav Mega schools as well.

Good luck,
ED

GinSueDog
04-17-2002, 10:45 PM
qeySuS,
What airport will you be arriving at? If it is LAX you may want someone living at the school to meet you at the airport. Otherwise it is going to be an expensive cab ride.-ED

qeySuS
04-18-2002, 12:51 AM
Yeah it's the LAX, it's a lnog drive? I've heard so many different thingsw, someone said 40 minutes other guy said 1-2 hours. I figured i could take some kind of bus (since most airports have bus's to nearby locations.

Loke
04-18-2002, 11:22 AM
qeySuS,

It really depends on what time of day you drive. It's not an awefully long drive, probably about 50 miles (80km). Usually without traffic it'll take about 45 minutes to an hour. Since you're flying in around 6:30pm, then have to go through immigration and customs, you probably won't get out of the airport until at least 7:30pm, so you'll miss most of the traffic.

Perhaps you can take an airport shuttle to the Irvine Spectrum area, and have someone pick you up there?

If not send me a pm at loke_3@lycos.com, I'm out by LAX quite often and if I'm in town perhaps I can give you a lift down to Irvine...?

Later bro,
Loke

GinSueDog
04-18-2002, 07:32 PM
qeySuS,
Loke is right. A taxi ride from LAX is going to be expensive, at least sixty bucks I would imagine. See if someone from NG can pick you up or if the shuttle can take you to the Spectrum, have someone meet you there. NG is only two or three miles from the Irvine Spectrum. I'd be willing but I'll be in Texas for a wedding.-ED

qeySuS
04-19-2002, 03:04 PM
k, great i'll be looking into taking some bus or other kind of public transportation to Irvine then have a cab take me from there, shouldnt be too much :)

Thx for the offer though i appreciate it.