PDA

View Full Version : Weapons non traditional

Starchaser107
04-16-2002, 07:08 PM
Anybody here, make thier own weapons that are practical and suitable for everyday pedestrian usage? In my country the only people that walk around with machetes are coconut vendors and i assume they have permits.
So I was wondering what the creative people here on kungfu online come up with?
One simple weapon i made recently is a keychain which finctions like a small steel whip. It has a small blunt weight on one side , and , of corse keys on the other, with and extremely long set of rings inbetween. I doubt im the first to have this idea but , im open to hear what you guys come up with.

cheers

straight blast
04-16-2002, 07:17 PM
I'm looking into getting a set of half-sized nunchaku made. They'll have the usual chain on them, but the other parts (handles?) will be made out of that hard black rubber stuff. Easy to conceal & unlike wooden chucks they won't break bones quite so easily.

Ray Pina
04-17-2002, 06:38 AM
My girlfriend weaved me a nice hemp key chain to fit to my key ring. Its not too long, 12 inches actually (just measured). Its nothing crazy, but that added reach x momentum and weight will catch that guy unexpected. Use skill from there.

Water Dragon
04-17-2002, 06:48 AM
I have 2 six inch folding knives (serrated blades)
I also carry a .380 or .40 (depending on how I'm dressed)

I really don't see the need to create weapons when there are some good legal ones available. A $ 25.00 pocket folding knife will do you well.

scotty1
04-17-2002, 07:11 AM
Waterdragon, do you carry a concealed gun with you always?

The following question is just my morbid curiousity, because concealed guns are something that I have never had to think about. Don't feel obliged to respond at all:

Have you ever had to use it, as a deterrent or otherwise?

If you have, and that's a bit too personal, just tell me to **** off.

sean_stonehart
04-17-2002, 07:35 AM
Eh... I'm with WD... I carry a folding knife & a .45ACP... like him, always.

JWTAYLOR
04-17-2002, 07:40 AM
Check out the use of the manriki gusari, or weighted chain. It translates very well to a belt with heavy buckle.

The nice thing about it is that, unlike the knife I always carry and the gun I sometimes have with me, it is a blunt force weapon and isn't neccessarily deadly.

I know, you don't have to shoot to kill, and it is possible to attack with a knife without killing, but it's too d@mn hard for me and all sorts of stuff can go wrong. With a blunt weapon, death is unlikely.

In fact, the manriki gusari was invented by a Samurai guard of the Emperor's gates who didn't want to shed blood at such a hallowed location. It takes some training, but really does have 10,000 uses (that's what manriki gusari means, 10,000 forces)

JWT

Ray Pina
04-17-2002, 08:31 AM
O' I also carry a clip, Spyder Co knife with me when around town.

I don't wear it though when I need it most -- heading into and from chintown by subway at night and the occasional shady rave. I don't like coming into class with a weapon attached to me -- looks pretentious -- and the rave security pats you down hard. Tough enough getting a doob or two in.

yenhoi
04-17-2002, 09:40 AM
I carry a Spyder, and sometimes a pair of small metal nunchaku.
I also wear a belt (usually leather) that I have learned to use, there are several filipino systems that teach rope and belt. I like straight blast's rubber handled heavy chain nunchaku.

Water Dragon
04-17-2002, 09:50 AM
Other "weapons" you should be aware of are: bricks, rocks, bottles, broken glass, pool cue's, chairs, ashtrays, pop cans (full), etc.

TaoBoxer
04-17-2002, 11:39 AM
I have a .45 Kimber 1911. It goes with everything....it's the little black dress of the firearms world.

That being said..... I carry a manrikkigarrote in my belt made by Bladerigger, a microtech socom and usually a straightblade in my bag, either my own knife I made, or a bladerigger kwaiken.

When I can't be so......Texan....... I like to carry a cut down drum stick. It is the length of your pinky to your thumb outstretched. Japanese called them a yubi-bo. They are cheap and disposable should the need a rise.

Ryu
04-17-2002, 11:43 AM
I carry a Cold Steel Voyager.

Ryu

HuangKaiVun
04-17-2002, 12:37 PM
No need to make or carry weapons. We're surrounded by them in our environment.

The pen I'm carrying - easily turned into a stabbing weapon.

The shirt I'm wearing - something to throw at an opponent's head to distract him.

The chair I'm sitting in - I can get in and out of it at will. I also will use it against opponents if the opportunity presents.

etc. . .

Badger
04-17-2002, 01:23 PM
Just throw poop at 'em...it works for monkeys.

Badger

Ray Pina
04-17-2002, 01:32 PM
Hear hear Water Dragon. Also, fire hydrants and cars make great weapons when you can control someone, or that someone themself as a shield.

However, pen vs. knife?

My master made a great point not long ago. He said when he carries a gun (? Chinatown?) its like he doesn't even have it. That he doesn't want to walk around and present himself as if he had a gun.

Act like you don't have any weapons available, otherwise you'll find youself using them.

Who said, Weapons are surely an omen of evil outcomes or something or other . The quote betrays me now.

Black Jack
04-17-2002, 01:41 PM
It all depends on my enviroment and what I am wearing but now I carry about 3-5 blades on me, of late a Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn Covert Folder, two Spyderco folders, my neck knife, plus my koppo.

If I can get away with it, I go quality fixed blade combat knife, and two folders-plus neck knife

I am not that good with flexiable weapons yet, so I don't carry any, I would end up wacking myself in the ******, if I had a CCW I would carry a firearm.

I am also working carrying on a pair of cheapo but durable throwing knifes in addition to everything else.

On the aspect of everyday weapons, yes those are a very important factor to consider, but Huang, they are no way a substitue for superior tactical weapon, if thats all you got fine, but I would not want to take my bic pen against a Busse Combat knife or a box cutter for that matter.

guohuen
04-17-2002, 03:23 PM
In the rare event I carry it's usually a 1 1/8" by 24" hardwood dowel. If that's not practical I carry a gerber mark I. I save the ordinance for home.

HuangKaiVun
04-17-2002, 06:51 PM
Of course everyday weapons don't compare against specialized knives. And specialized knives don't compare against guns.

When you're on that airplane against terrorists with boxcutters, Black Jack, you go in empty handed and I'll go with whatever I've got or can grab.

Your knives won't make it past metal detection. And on the street there's the LEGAL thing that you'd have to deal with.

Stab someone with your kinds of weapons and you'll face an expensive civil suit for sure.

Starchaser107
04-17-2002, 07:29 PM
Well yeah huang thats another point to think about. i should really have said unconventional instead of non traditional , but i think everybody gets the point anyway.
I stopped carrying knives because the police give random spot checks and ive been stopped a couple times, and nowadays carrying knives are illegal ,it used to be a certain length/ width is legal im not sure it still applies. Tasers are illegal, and the whole gun thing out here is mesed up , lots of people get robbed and killed because of the fact that they are licenced firearm holders...if people know you have a gun , and i assume there are ways of finding out , then people will be coming for you, so, maybe if i lived in another country id carry a gun but not here.
theres metal detection and security at parties so that rules that out as well.
Im not going to walk around with chinese weapons unless im doing a demo or at a tournament so, in terms of practicality , its either hands alone or some improvised tool...

red_fists
04-17-2002, 08:16 PM
10,000 uses (that's what manriki gusari means, 10,000 forces)

Aaarrgh the bad Japanese traslations when will they end?? :P

It is split like this:
Man = 10.000
Riki = Strenght (Sumo wrestler are called "Riki-shi" actually).
Kusari = Chain.

The actual meaning is:
"The Chain with the strength of 10.000"

But, yes, soft Weaon are VERY good for street fight situations.

Peace.

P.S.: Bill for the translation will be send later. :D :D

Black Jack
04-17-2002, 08:45 PM
First off Huang, you are comparing apples to oranges, I did not know we were talking about being just on a plane, but know that the rules are changed, I am NO stranger to make-shift weapons, I was taught how to use a pen, credit card, belt, comb, lighter, and other weapons by a old teacher of mine a long time ago, and not made up stuff either, how to hold, how to dart, how to pinch, how to slash, where to target, so on a plane I would have access to a few weapons of my choice.

Next, the legal issue is a joke, blades are a last ditch weapon, used only in the most serious of dire circumstances when your tactical awarenesss to leave the scene has failed, where you could not get away by any other means at hand, plus legality only means anything if you are alive to be arrested/sued in the first place, I would rather have a busted nose and brusied ego ten-thousand fold then ever have to bring that kind of hardware to bear on a living person, as I have respect for what it can do.

As stated above, legal issues only mean anything if you are alive to be arrested in the first place, I would rather be sued for all I am worth than be some stain on the ground because some low life wanted to rub me out to rape my girlfriend or murder us for drug money, all of my weapons with the exception of the fixed blades are under legal limits anyway.

Leimeng
04-17-2002, 11:23 PM
~In my car: oak rods 1.5" x 39" next to the drivers seat, glass bottle filled with liquid in drink holder. 1" x 36" iron bar in trunk along with jack handle. If I know I am not going to work for a few days (I work on a military installation), I will have a glock 10 (old, I know) and some knives as well with me.
~Home has lots of guns and knives and swords and other assorted weapons. :D
~Walking down the street, I like to have a glass bottle of drink in my hand, and a glock on me somewhere.
~Go into the restaurant and try to get seated with back against the wall and a view of the door. Order steak or something that they have to give me a knife for, and of course try to get your drinks served in a glass glass instead of plastic or foam.
~Would really like it if I could carry my ithica 10 ga pump around town but I think that might be frowned upon by the non knowing. :cool:

Peace,

Sin Loi

yi beng, kan xue

scotty1
04-18-2002, 04:20 AM
"Walking down the street, I like to have a glass bottle of drink in my hand, and a glock on me somewhere.
~Go into the restaurant and try to get seated with back against the wall and a view of the door. Order steak or something that they have to give me a knife for, and of course try to get your drinks served in a glass glass instead of plastic or foam. "

Jesus. How are things in Sierra Leone?
:)

red_fists
04-18-2002, 04:56 AM
Scotty.

I agree.

Listening to the weapons list and the pre-cautions makes you wonder when the showdown at the Ok-Corral is going to occur.

scotty1
04-18-2002, 05:19 AM
oo-e-oo-e-oooooo.....

wa-wa-wa.....

:D

grogan
04-18-2002, 05:48 AM
You people don't sound like Martial Artists to me you sound like a bunch of thugs! I like my Glock, I sit with my back to the wall, I carry throwing knives with me, I am a 2 bit thug!

scotty1
04-18-2002, 05:58 AM
Good job throwing knives can't travel over phone lines Grogan.

Black Jack
04-18-2002, 09:13 AM
:o Whats a martial artists supposed to be like?

A old chinese guy in a silk robe with a long pipe sticking out of his mouth who when jumped on his nightly walks, soundly defeats the three club weilding youths attacking him with his ancient monkey tosses the salad technique?

If preparing to protect oneself with what ever means neccesary, be that by carrying a firearm or other weapons, in the occurance of a threat is unhonorable, then boy I will take the unhonorable label anyday, then be sh!t out of luck.

dezhen2001
04-18-2002, 09:22 AM
monkey tosses the salad technique?

is that any reference to Chris Rocks 'toss salad man' sketch? :D
man that cracked me up :D

david

Shooter
04-18-2002, 11:34 AM
...the sky is falling... :p

dezhen2001
04-18-2002, 11:52 AM

HuangKaiVun
04-18-2002, 10:22 PM
It seems that we do not disagree on environmental weapons, Black Jack.

On the other hand, we both know that our weapons of choice are not always (usually) immediately available to us - and that often we have to make do against superiorly armed opponents with what is or isn't available.

I don't walk around looking for a fight, and I take care to stay away from trouble. Thus far, I haven't had THE NEED to carry more weapons than I currently carry - which is NONE.

red_fists
04-18-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Black Jack
:o Whats a martial artists supposed to be like?

A old chinese guy in a silk robe with a long pipe sticking out of his mouth who when jumped on his nightly walks, soundly defeats the three club weilding youths attacking him with his ancient monkey tosses the salad technique?

Nope, but than they also shouldn't be carrying stuff like Rambo on PCP.

If you start a fight unarmed, it is unlikely that you will get a chance to draw and use a weapon.

Most unarmed MA systems were designed as a backup measure when the MA lost his Weapons.

Plus, I found a lot of guys get ****ier than normal when the carry weapons.
Not saying that this is true in your Guys case.

Plus, even if it comes to a fight and lets say the Cops break it up.

How will your story of an victim/ peaceful person stand up when they find all those goodies on you?? Legal or not.

Peace.

Starchaser107
04-19-2002, 12:51 AM
This stuf about learning to use a pen, and credit card etc from a previous teacher...this wasnt russian by any chance?

grogan
04-19-2002, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by red_fists

Nope, but than they also shouldn't be carrying stuff like Rambo on PCP.

Touche!

[/B][/QUOTE]
How will your story of an victim/ peaceful person stand up when they find all those goodies on you?? Legal or not.

Peace. [/B][/QUOTE]

"Officer I was casually walking down the the street minding my own business on the way to the old peoples home for some charity work when this guy jumped me"

"The only defence I had was to kneecap him with my chrome Glock with pearl handles, but still he crawled towards me so I had to neck him with my fixed blade tanto with special blood letting groove"

"You can certainly see I was in the right, please don't give my name to the papers I am not a hero just an ordinary guy looking for his way in life."

"The simple Z i carved into his arse will be thanks enough"

scotty1
04-19-2002, 05:00 AM
LOL!!

Black Jack
04-19-2002, 08:40 AM
Huang,

I believe we are in agreement with what enviromental weapons are, I just prefer to have a a few non-enviromental weapons with me, need is a vague option when carrying weapons, its more of a protection system or in some peoples cases a totem, if I never need them fine, if I do, I have them.

What happens the one time you need a weapon and you don't have one, at least if you carried you would have the option, but if you don't have anything, be it a blade, handstick, gun, cane, umberlla, whatever and the other guy does you have a weapon, you just denied yourself any option.

Red Fist,

I don't like the term martial artist, on a personal level I think that whole catch fraze is bogus, it makes people think that their is honor in only one way of doing things, and IMHO it limits a lot of peoples viewpoints, as shown here by Grogan on what he thinks a martial artists should be, obvious that is one from the Chinese culture, yet their are Filipino, Indian, Burmese, and other Asian cultures where carrying a number of weapons on ones person is very normal and applied with a very scientific tactical mindset, the Kali Grandmaster Leon Geron carries up to 12 knifes on his person, I have met other Kali guys who have depending on the circumstances anywhere from 2 to 9 blades on them, some may only have none or one because they are so good that the weapons you are carrying on you will be their weapons very soon, just because one does not understand the martial science behind why, does not give a ignorant poster the right to call anyone a thug.

Again, legal issues are only revelant if you are alive to get that far and then its all speculation once a person gets to that point anyway.

Grogan,:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

StarChaser,

No it was Chinese if you can believe it, Green Dragon Society Chi Dao Ch'uan Gung Fu, the teacher had a LOT of streetfighting experiance from back in the 70's and one of the things they taught was improvised weapons.

It was cool, I never thought of using a credit card to dart in and attack vitals before, not just to strike but to pinch and tear.

Cheers,