PDA

View Full Version : Four Direction Y Stepping in NYC

World Internal
04-16-2002, 10:21 PM
Ok class please open your "The Fundamentals of Pa Kua Chang" by Park Bok Nam and Dan Miller to page 80. Are you there? Ok Good.

We find ourselves in the section of "Pa Kua Chang Footwork". On page 80 there is a diagram named "Four Direction Y Stepping". It looks like four Y's all facing different directions but connected at the bases of the four Y's.

With this diagram painted on the floor you can practice all of the superior elusive legendary Ba Gua foot work drills. I'm talking about all of them! The jump step, v step, full step jump, pivot step, back jump step, 90degree full step, etc. Up to 4 people can practice at once with this diagram. In essence you can do the same drills without the diagram, but it wont be as intense even though it would still do you good.

I once drew this myself in a secluded park in Queens. I used chalk, white tape (to see in dark), White Krylon Paint, and measuring tape and rulers. It was drawn in a circle that was already painted by the city. No one knew why the city put that circle on the floor and no one knew what the four Y's within the circle was for, until I let the local pot heads, and gangs in on it. Soon it became popular and I began to show some people how to "play".

Within a matter of days I became the student with the best footwork in the class! It was my secret until the city decided to renovate the park, and then it was gone forever. It was here that I realized that I should have not kept that secret and I should have encouraged others to do the same. Well its years later, I'm older and wiser and I am encouraging you to do the same. NO MORE SECRECY!!!

Your mission if you choose to accept, is to go to your favorite public park with the pespective tools and paint the "Four Direction Y Stepping" diagram. Make sure you draw it big enough. I would suggest practicing the patterns in sand first and measure what you have done on the sand and then paint it permenantly but only bigger to allow for improvement. Once you complete your mission, post your success here for all Ba Gua artists to enjoy. Hopefully we can do several. Please be carefull and good luck.

Lets do this for all those lives lost during the Boxer Rebellion by foreign imerialist armies!