PDA

View Full Version : Any info on Kung-Fu San-Soo

diego
04-17-2002, 12:34 AM
I know the general history, and have a list of thier fighting techniques.
i'm curious what influenced the original style, and i have some questions on thier basics, such as how does the windmill block work, in all it's ranges?
Thanks

scotty1
04-17-2002, 05:56 AM
I thought San Soo (Sanda/Sanshou?) was just a rules format for competition using kung fu techs.

Am I wrong?

What is a windmill block?

dezhen2001
04-17-2002, 05:59 AM
Kung Fu San Soo is a US style of 'kung fu' created some time ago i think... It's not the same as San Shou/San Da training... :)

david

diego
04-17-2002, 08:51 AM
but in this context, we are talking about the tsoi li ho fut hung kung fu, and kungfu sansoo, is the method of the style, brought to america by jimmy h woo. what i get he taught his family style, through freeform fighting technique, basically a couple hundered drills, hence the term sansoo.
But im asking about this, so i cant really tell you much, but if your still interested, i'l get back to you.
Also, so far i have foundout, a whindmill block is what it sounds like, just outward block, up or down, and at the end thiers a locking motion of the limb, setting your opponnent off balance, opening him up for a counter?.
Agian i cant speak cuz i dont know:)

ewallace
04-17-2002, 10:02 AM
try asking on this forum diego:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/sansoosifu/start

They are very civil to people who just have questions about the style.

Waidan
04-17-2002, 11:16 AM
I studied San Soo for a few years, and still practice much of the system today. I've learned to steer clear of discussions regarding the origin and history of the style (circular zany arguments from hell), but I'm always happy to answer any specific questions you might have about the style (ie techniques etc).

Post or drop an email if you'd like.

Regarding the windmill blocks, I don't think I'd describe the motion as ending in a "locking" motion...that would usually indicate a full extention of the joints, which really shouldn't happen. Also note that while windmill blocks normally contact with the outer forearm, it's common in many techniques to allow the arm to "slide up" after the initial contact is made and hook the opponent's limb with the hand. This sort of pulling/hooking is done to take the opponent's balance and (as you suggested) set them up for a strike or throw. Windmills are done in "doubles" also, utilizing both arms.

MIKSANSOO
04-24-2002, 03:42 PM
see the windmill block is a basic that has variations. like with the "locking" tech or sliding like waiden explains. you also have parrys and countless other blocks that have the basis of the closed fist windmill block.