PDA

View Full Version : What this forum needs!!!

Merryprankster
04-17-2002, 12:53 PM
Is a place for the discussion of chinese FOOD!!!

You have to eat a culture or you'll never understand it :)

Heck, I'll even moderate.

It also needs a grappling forum. But we've already been told we can't have one, so consider this instead :D

rubthebuddha
04-17-2002, 12:56 PM
VERY good idea. and along with it, maybe a bit on the individual ceremonies your family has (like giving tea to your sifu, etc.):)

Mojo
04-17-2002, 01:03 PM
Chinese roast duck...... mnnnnnnnnnn good !

apoweyn
04-17-2002, 01:04 PM
here's the first OT post for the new forum: why is absolutely EVERYTHING better wrapped in bacon? sausages, shrimp, crack cocaine, everything.

stuart

Ray Pina
04-17-2002, 01:11 PM
Also on Chinese massage -- with happy ending.

shaolinboxer
04-17-2002, 01:12 PM
Wing Wam, next to Excellent Dumpling house...you can watch them roast the pork right there in big juicy strips! SO GOOD!

David Jamieson
04-17-2002, 02:18 PM
food? ok, i'll bite.... get it? hahahaha...nevermind.

Food stuff can go in the "Martial Media and Popular culture" forum.
As for grappling, this can be posted in the "Other Related Arts" Forum.
Lot's of people post grappling stuff here in the main forum, and in context to Kung Fu it's all good.

However. the Forum is a Kung fu forum for all things Kung Fu and it ain't a BJJ forum. That would be those other places that many of you already go for your fix of jj news, ufc news, nhb news, etc.

As we all know Kung fu is superior to every other art ever invented ever ever ever, there is simply no need to discuss those inferior arts and their flimsy girly armed practitioners!

If you can't see that I am kidding with that last statement, please reassess your sense of humour.

peace

guohuen
04-17-2002, 03:14 PM
I want my own cot in a dim sum house.

Royal Dragon
04-17-2002, 03:28 PM
Mongolian beef with bean sprouts, cashews, water chest nuts and baby corn. MMMMMMM, MMMMMMMMM, mmmmmmmmm the Best!!!!!!!!:p

GreyMystik
04-17-2002, 05:54 PM
beef szechuan style YUM

:D :D :D

red_fists
04-17-2002, 05:58 PM
You Guys making me hungry.
:(

Might have to head to the Chinese Restaurant up the road for Lunch.

$8 Buffet style eat as much as you want.

Yeah, baby.

respectred
04-17-2002, 06:16 PM
anybody know of some good places in chinatown in nyc to get some quick takeout food? i commute to the city 3x a week for kung fu right near chinatown and i always walk around chinatown b/c i have time, but i don't know any place where i can walk in and pick something up and eat it on the go, anybody got any suggestions? chinese food in chinatown is AMAZING compared to the dirt we have here in the suburbs :) need more!
someone tell me! :D

joedoe
04-17-2002, 06:17 PM
What about a forum on eating Chinese food while doing BJJ? :D

wangsizhong
04-17-2002, 06:40 PM
if you live in michigan, there's this restaurant called "chinatown buffet" (not in an actual chinatown) that has all you can eat for 5-7 dollars. they have the best kung pao chicken (gong bao jiding) in north america!

royal dragon: your favourite chinese food is MONGOLIAN beef? ironic...i don't suppose your favorite cma is tkd? :)

Wang Si Zhong

joedoe
04-17-2002, 06:47 PM

KungFuGuy!
04-17-2002, 07:02 PM
Chicken balls and chicken fried rice. It doesn't get much better than that :D

HuangKaiVun
04-17-2002, 07:12 PM
Plain white rice. Parboiled vegetables. Simply cooked meats. Fresh fruit. Fish. Cold ice water.

After a lifetime of eating Chinese foods in every conceivable form, I now prefer simple flavors.

The less taste I add to foods, the better I can taste them.

Merryprankster
04-17-2002, 07:27 PM
Huang,

You must prefer Cantonese (real Cantonese) over say, Hunan or Szechuan :)

Kung Lek--I think it's a sad state of affairs that you feel you have to mention you're kidding... I'm making a comment about humans in general, not the forum.

RespectRed--You really can't go wrong anywhere. I like Joe's Shanghai, and anything on that street is pretty good. There's some good stuff on Mott street.

Joe's Shanghai is probably the best, for my money, but hey, that's just me. I don't know about quick takeout... maybe you could call ahead?

Tae Li
04-17-2002, 07:37 PM
Da only thing this foum needs people is 'MWA'!.. YEP! ME!!

But if you want me on a side dish, then the only thing your getting with me is Prawn Crackers!

LOL

Tae Li;)

KungFuGuy!
04-17-2002, 07:55 PM
I'd prefer you on a bed, covered in whip cream.
With a side dish of wushuchick.
Yummy :D

Merryprankster
04-17-2002, 07:58 PM
KungFuGuy,

Try Looed Chicken's Feet, Turnip Cake, Hot and Spicy Tripe, and Jellyfish Salad. I think you'll find it DOES get better.

I cannot, however, bring myself to try drunken crab. It's served raw. I just can't do it.

I also like eight treasure rice in lotus leaf.

Tae Li
04-17-2002, 07:59 PM
well in that case keep dreaming! cos it aint gonna happen brother:cool:

I think I speak for both me and Chicka on this one:cool:

Tae Li;) serves up;)

KungFuGuy!
04-18-2002, 02:04 AM
Right merryprankster, why don't I just eat some monkey brains while I'm at it.

tae li, you speak for every woman on the planet on that one :(

It's okkay, at least I've still got old righty :D

Phenix_Eye
04-18-2002, 02:36 AM
is a lot different to what you get in Resturants and takeouts.

guohuen
04-18-2002, 07:23 AM
Prangster, Raw cheasepeake bay blue crabs are awesome!

Mutant
04-18-2002, 07:44 AM
I'll have a good Hot -n- Sour soup to start off the feast.

I like the hot and spicey dishes best, yum! I'll take an order of Kung Pao Shrimp... with a side of eggrolls.

And of course a Sing Tau beer to put out the fire.

Could you pass the hot mustard sauce?? Thanks.. :)

Sharky
04-18-2002, 09:11 AM
can some one tell me what chinese people *really* eat? as in normal meals?

cheers.

(p.s - having said that i am at THIS MINUTE getting up to goto the chinese place near here to get 6 mini veg spring rolls and the rest of my dinner.... question is... chicken chow mein or just go for ordinary egg rice with some kind of beef or chickin dish? i'll let the coin decide)

(p.p.s - no cream on sum yung gye jokes yet? shame on you all)

Edd

guohuen
04-18-2002, 09:41 AM
Don't know for sure (and i'm a chef, long story on why I don't cook real chinese) In 70, 71 and 72 I was a dishwasher at the Jade Palace in Columbia Md. The staff meals were so good they would make you cry. These funky mild curries that were rediculasely good. Usually seafood or chicken cut in trapazoidal pieces so it fell off the bone or shell when you picked it up with chopsticks. A lot of raw shrimp, beef and eggs were eaten for breakfast. I'm not sure what cuisine this is as I had never seen it before and have never seen it since. Guangdonghua was the language of the kitchen. (the only one I might add). As for authenticity, four times the first year I worked there a waiter came back in the kitchen and mumbled "immigration" in broken english and 3/4 of the staff sprinted for the back door.:D :p

Phenix_Eye
04-18-2002, 10:16 AM
In Hong Kong a lot of people go to resturants for breakfast. Have some Chinese tea, read the papers and maybe have some Dim Sum. Usually for dinner the chinese begin with some Chinese Tea and some cakes (egg tarts etc) then some Dim Sum. After that its the main course.

Home meals are a lot different. My family eat chicken, duck with some plum sauce and a lot of fish. Roast pork with Hoi sin Sauce is quite popular. Each person has a bowl of rice and all the dishes are in the middle. We pick the desired food from the middle with chopsticks.

Thats how different Chinese people eat from everyone else.

Merryprankster
04-18-2002, 01:38 PM
Phenix,

I know that a typical chinese meal is pretty different from what you find in a restaurant.

Unfortunately, many of the dishes in the US are over thickened and entirely too sweet. I won't get into the abomination that is considered "Sweet and Sour," in mainstream america. Or even Chow Mein! Last time I checked, the deep fried crispy noodle bit wasn't exactly a mainstay in a good chinese place. Dreadful.

The biggest problem I have though, is the over saucing, over sugaring, and over arrowroot starching of the whole works. It's just awful. The last place I ordered take out from used so much oyster sauce (!) in their fried rice that I was CONVINCED the cooks must have been Filipino.

I like roast pork with hoisin...and it took me awhile, but I finally worked out that hoisin was the missing ingredient in a spicy orange beef dish I'd had in a random restaurant in NYC.

I also figured out that double dark mushroom soy was the missing link in the spicy bean sauce for use on noodles. You have no idea how long I'd been searching for that flavor and color. Most of the soys commonly available in the US are Japanese style Shoyu types.

Dim Sum is my favorite thing ever! Unfortunately, the place in DC for it is just slightly above average. Their steamed buns are too heavy. They make up for it, however, with the filled pineapple buns that come on the sweet cart...it's easy to tell they use LARD in the making. They have a texture you simply can't get from shorteninh. I usually eat several of them :)

They do have good salt baked shrimp, and an excellent assortment of other steamed dumplings.

Braden
04-18-2002, 02:02 PM
It's all about the hot and sour soup and the sczechuan style crispy chicken. Mmmm. Although, I used to live off of cold beef filled buns. I have no idea what they're called in chinese. They also came in bacon, only the bacon was held in with clumps of grease... it's really too much to take.

P.S. Hey Merryprankster, did you see the UG post about one of Rickson's teachers who gave up everything for kalaripayat? I was ****ing my pants laughing.

Black Jack
04-18-2002, 02:09 PM
What this forum needs!!!!

A transexual Tai Chi master with a flaming case of jock itch.

wangsizhong
04-18-2002, 06:50 PM
baozi--those beef filled steamed buns. *never seen it with bacon
mantou--steamed buns, no filling
jiaozi--steamed dumpling, usually celery, pork or a combination of the two
chiaoshou (not sure on the spelling)--same as jiaozi, but in soup water
good ol' noodles--a big bowl usually with some beef on top and some "empty heart" vegetables strewn in and a heck of a lot of la jiao (chili pepper) in the water
huo guo (literally "fire pot")--hot pot. a metal pot is put in a hole in the table with a burner underneath. in the pot is only water and LOTS of chili peppers. the water is blood red. you get an assortment of raw vegetables, meat, fish, tofu, cow stomach, chicken feet, etc. you dump it in the boiling chili water, let it cook,then take it out, dip it in a sesame sauce and eat. as an alternative, you can put the food on skewers and set them in the water. then its called mala tang.
(forget the name)--a charcoal burner on the street is used to barbecue skewers of potatoes, chicken, lotus root, etc., then covered with la jiao, msg, salt, and other spices.

then you've got your standard gong bao jiding (kung pao chicken), tangsu liji (sweet and sour pork), fanqie chow dan (scrambled egg and tomato) and a few other dishes. white rice is more common than fried.

-Wang Si Zhong

Black Jack
04-18-2002, 07:09 PM
I don't know if its authentic or not but I LOVE crab rangons, those fried triangles filled with most of the time fake crab, oh yea, mommy like, give me those and yes I will back Royal up, some midwest Mongolian Beef with baby corn, a lot of white rice and some carbonated beverage, and then step back, because its total white man don't know real chinese eating time.:D

Can you smell what the Rock is cooking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am more of a steak man, not tub steak you *******es, fine Italian steakhouse filet baby.

Budokan
04-18-2002, 09:19 PM
This forum needs a good spanking.

red_fists
04-18-2002, 09:20 PM
Uuuhuh, kinky. :cool: :cool:

Tae Li
04-18-2002, 09:32 PM
The only reason why this thread is gonna last is because its about fooooooodddddddddd:rolleyes:

oh, and because I posted on it;) ;)

THOSE threads ALWAYS last....hehehehe

Tae Li;)