PDA

View Full Version : For Ironfist...The 1000 eggfist exercise

sunkuen
04-17-2002, 11:50 PM
I don't share much but I'll give you this one "gem". When hitting the wallbag place a quail egg in your fist. While punching the wallbag you must protect the egg from being broken. Get the eggs from the phillipine market (or wherever). When you can throw three punches per second with full power and not break the eggs...congrats. Good Luck

IronFist
04-18-2002, 12:26 AM
I don't know how small a quail egg is. How can you make a fist with something in there... wouldn't it prevent you from curling the top section of your finger in properly? I dunno.

Is there anything you can substitute? Does it make a mess if you break the quail egg?

Does holding the egg just prevent you from using too much hand tension? What if you isometrically contract your grip? You don't actually punch like that, do you (in a fight)? Are my questions annoying? :)

Thanks for the suggestion :)

IronFist

red_fists
04-18-2002, 12:39 AM
IronFist.

Buy atleast a dozen and keep a Towel handy.
;) ;)

Ubroken/unused eggs can be used for Salads or can be pickled.

Plenty of recipes on the Net.

Chris99
04-18-2002, 11:34 AM
Ironfist,

I wouldn't train in this manner if I was you...I believe the good Sunkuen is having a little fun a your expense.;)

I would pay money to see someone training this way though,
Chris

sunkuen
04-18-2002, 02:30 PM
There is always gonna be somebody tellin ya that this ways no good or that way is no good, let it fall on deaf ears. Look at Chris99 for example....2 yrs experience and hes tellin ya what not to do....hmmm...hasn't even got to biu jee yet.

O.K. Iron...get crackin'!!!

p.s. Listen to red fist and grab a towel.

red5angel
04-18-2002, 02:41 PM
Chris99, I have heard of this before, and if you think about it, it could be viable. If you have proper structure, your knuckles are striking the bag. You shouldnt be striking with your fingers anyway, so this would probably help with structure.

diego
04-18-2002, 06:37 PM
Just the metaphor of punching with a small egg in your fist, is a goodone to visualize striking with a loose fist....
i dont do wing chun, but i will admit i have played with the books and vids, as ironfist does, but after 4 years of halfass practise in my style, on day i was hit with a matchete in a fight, " a small matchete, or i wouldnt be typing:) "
anyway for the next month i had thirteen stitches around my left and frontal lobes, now i couldnt do strenuos training such as forms, or wieghtlifting, etc, so i would just hit a bag, slowly, with enough tension to not stretch my stitches, i learnt alot from that month, compared to just throwing myself into my training for the previous years!.

For one when you get in a streetscrap, and you really dont want to, or are tired, at one point after bieng hit enough to shock you with a slight stun, you almost find yourself talking to your self, like you almost confused....similar to playing basketball fullcourt 5on5, while reading a book?, if you have had fights, you may know what im getting at!, i assume it has something with digesting the initial shock of a adrenalin dump, and one sensation you can get from this, is like uno that dream where you runslow, and you wake up punching and kicking?, they just had a thread on this @ the main forum...k, point to this, besides giving you ironfist whatever halfassed tips i can, my point i would punch my bag with the stitches, and i would want to speed up, just from general lack of exercise, now besides bieng wired from bieng hit that whole month"i think it took like 7 months for me to finally relax", i would sort of be sad, like **** i got hit, poor me, so i had a yinyang somber adrenaline drive, and then i would hit the bag.
By the time the stitches came out, i had so much explosive force when i finally sped up, wich i couldnt have gotten, without getting hit, basically i guess because i was in such a state of odd meditation, like one train of thought till the stitches came out" like couldnt wash my hair, so im always having a halfass shower, and i love a long shower", and the focus, i assume it would take years, through rootpractise for me to normally hit with that focus, wich is a similar concept to that baseball pitcher, who did lsd for one of his games, and pitched a no-hitter, uno in the zone!.

k, so now i have a good internal strike, wheras before i would just snap my palm to the chest, it still whips out, but its also like looney tunes where they drop an anvil, so to my understanding, bieng totally basic, a simple internal strike from what i get, wich fits perfect with the sensation you would get punching with a small egg, it whips out and stings, but also swamps like if a skyscraper, dropped on you?, i dont know how to word this, without sounding to flimsy, as im basic as was stated, but i have an idea!, how good it is?:cool:

But ya, fwiw...Just felt like Typing, hopefully some of this makes sence for you!!.

Chris99
04-18-2002, 07:50 PM
Hi All,

I do believe that your fist should be relaxed when you hit--bone alignment is what does it. Actually Sunkuen if you include my recovery from elbow surgery I have less than two years. I'm just a baby in this and I freely admit that...but I haven't needed an egg yet to develop my Wing Chun punch. :) To each his own...Red have you ever heard anyone in our line say they needed an egg for proper tension developement? I have heard stories similiar to this in the MA world, just not in Wing Chun.

Sunkuen is this how you worked to develop your punch? If so how long did this exercise take you to develop what you feel is a good punch? If so how did your bag look after a week?:D

Why a quail egg? Did you have the structure of the egg tested or something?:rolleyes:

LMAO,
Chris

Chris99
04-18-2002, 07:54 PM
Hey Sunkuen,

Man, I've been looking all over the net for a pic of Yip Man with his quail egg punching his sand bag. :( Is there anyone out there who can help me?:confused:

Outside looking for bird eggs...Does it have to be a Quail egg Sunkuen?,
Chris

red_fists
04-18-2002, 07:58 PM
Chris99.

I don't do WC, but this training method is well documented in a few styles.

Many styles have less-common/un-orthodox training methods that are often only given to a few students.

May it be to assist them with overcoming a weakness, or to develope a certain attribue that is lacking.
IronFist should atleast try it and than decide if he benefits or not.
That's my point.

Chris99
04-18-2002, 08:44 PM
Hi Red_fists,

I meant Red5Angel...as he is in my lineage. I also have heard of similiar training methods before, just never heard of anyone in Wing Chun training in this manner. I believe it to be completely unnecessary for developing our wing chun punch. Ironfist is welcome to try whatever method he desires...regardless if it is needed or not. I agree with you on the towels though, because it is sure to be very messy and possibly expensive--don't know the price of Quail eggs.:D

Perhaps he could tape it to his forehead and practice his headbutts...:rolleyes:

Chris

red_fists
04-18-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Chris99
Hi Red_fists,

I meant Red5Angel...

Ooops, my bad Apologies.

IronFist
04-18-2002, 09:20 PM
Probably a quail egg because it's smaller than a regular egg?

IronFist

kungfu cowboy
04-18-2002, 10:04 PM
So then, are ostrich eggs used for the dummy?!?

wt_disciple
04-19-2002, 05:35 AM
You really don't need to use eggs to better your punches. Look at Oscar De La Hoya. Although, I'm not saying it would be a bad idea. If you do happen to stop by the Filipino market, pick up some Lumpia while your there!!

Salamat!!!

wt_disciple
:cool:

sunkuen
04-19-2002, 06:23 AM
Oscar de la hoya lost to felix trinidad cuz trinidad was doing the bagwork with eggs in his fists. De la hoya laughed when he heard about felix's unorthodox training.....who's laughing now!!! (for the slower folk....felix is laughing now)

red5angel
04-19-2002, 07:15 AM
Chris99 - LOL! Nope, never heard Carl or Ken say to try this! I do think it has some validity, like any other good training tool. I definitely dont think it is necessary!

yenhoi
04-19-2002, 07:31 AM
Quote red5:

I do think it has some validity, like any other good training tool.

-

Quote someone else:

"....you should realize this."

-

Quote Chris99:

I've been looking all over the net for a pic of Yip Man with his quail egg punching his sand bag.

-

Do you structure all your training from pictures of Yip man?

Get real?

wt_disciple
04-19-2002, 10:09 AM
Felix Trinidad was beaten by Bernard Hopkins in September. Hopkins was much faster and more powerful than Trinidad. But, Hopkins uses the egg method too, so you are right....I guess I better go buy some eggs.

Happy training

:cool:

wt_disciple

Alpha Dog
04-19-2002, 10:20 AM
Lightly fry an oil cake (you2 bing3, an unleavened lardy flat bread with chives worked into it) in a skillet; add a couple of beaten eggs on top an let cook a bit; flip it over, then roll it up and remove it from the pan.

Serve with some chili sauce (la4 jiao1) and soy sauce (jiang4 you2) and a bowl of warm soy milk (dou4 jiang1) on the side. Delicious!

Chris99
04-19-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by yenhoi

Quote Chris99:

I've been looking all over the net for a pic of Yip Man with his quail egg punching his sand bag.

-

Do you structure all your training from pictures of Yip man?

Get real? [/B]

Since you didn't figure it out I'll clue you in....that was a joke.

Chris

yuanfen
04-20-2002, 07:19 AM
Vargas beaten by Trinidad,Trinidad beaten by Hopkins, Hopkins
likely to be beaten by Jones again, Jones could be beaten by his motorcycle again...

The life of pugilists and quail eggs- "nasty, brutish and short".

sunkuen
04-20-2002, 09:06 AM
Jones uses jawbreakers....sometimes they still break!!!

yuanfen
04-20-2002, 04:37 PM
one thing that he has more of than his contemporaries is a sense of balance and he works on it in various ways.... in addition to the common features of boxing training. Also, like the good ones he does not keep his fists tightly clenched.
Not just jawbreakers. In one fight(Hill?) there was one fight ending right hand pentrating punch to the left side of the
opponents body. The opponent just sat down clutching his side...
shocking damage via a floating rib.
In another fight he fought witha broken left hand-using only his right from regular as well as south paw stance.
In his last fight the balance was superb with his hands behind his back before the right came out straight to the mark.
While he looks "muscled", to a trained eye-he is properly relaxed ready to spring at any moment.

sunkuen
04-20-2002, 07:01 PM
Not many can achieve the "Body Knockout". Roy Jones is very cool. I wish him and nasim were in the same weight class (though I think RJJ would beat him).

yuanfen
04-20-2002, 11:07 PM
If they were in the same weight class RJ would destroy Nasim.
Nasim has come far with his punch. But Barrera has his number down pat and Barrera is no Jones.

sunkuen
04-25-2002, 10:08 PM
Soooooo, did you try the egg training?

IronFist
04-26-2002, 12:17 PM
Not yet dude. I've been working on semester projects for the last few weeks.

IronFist