PDA

View Full Version : Canada & the New Chinese Martial Arts Grading System

firepalm
04-18-2002, 02:38 AM
For Canadians check this link to the new grading system for Chinese Martial Arts that the CCWO (Canada's only government recognized organization) is trying to implement in Canada http://www.canadawushu.com/grading_system.html

:confused:

nospam
04-18-2002, 06:48 PM
That's wushu...

nospam.
:cool:

firepalm
04-18-2002, 10:30 PM
The Organization or the Grading System?

The Organization is definitely pro Wushu but is probably predominantly traditional stylists amongst its membership.

The Ranking System has a distinctly pro Wushu slant to it, in that to get credit (towards your rank) certain things are definitely geared to the teacher that produces wushu competitors.

Please clarify as to that's wushu? :D

fiercest tiger
04-19-2002, 05:57 AM
All i know is my Teachers word is good enough, no certificate from him but his word.

FT

Buby
04-19-2002, 10:32 AM
Aight!:)

Take care,
Ah buby Ah

nospam
04-19-2002, 07:13 PM
The Confederation of Canadian Wushu Organizations (CCWO) is the federally registered governing sports body committed to promoting and developing the Olympic sport of Wushu in Canada. Wushu (pronounced Woo-shoo) has evolved from a traditional style of Chinese self-defense into a dynamic performance art

This is not TCMA..it is dance, ergo....That's wushu..

nospam.

fiercest tiger
04-19-2002, 09:00 PM
Hi Mate,

just a question, do you think these wushu guys can fight? What if these wushu guys actually trained in fighting do you think it would be good enough?:)

FT
Garry:)

nospam
04-20-2002, 07:53 PM
fiercest tiger

just a question, do you think these wushu guys can fight? What if these wushu guys actually trained in fighting do you think it would be good enough?

In my opinion, they do not emphasize teh fighting aspect. As I quoted from theor website: Wushu has evolved from a traditional style of Chinese self-defense into a dynamic performance art . That alone should answer your question.

If they did incorporate actual fighting, who would teach them? Their instructror or coach are forms masters, not experienced fighters, tournament or otherwise. When the emphasis is not on fighting, the ability will be substandard on average. If you have seen wushu...what techniques would they use?

No. I think their ability to fight would be as applicable as 96% of the taichi schools out there - useless. It is not a martial art. Wushu is a performance art. It reminds me of people interviewed during the height of the taebo craze....not only am I in great shape but I'm confident I could defend myself, too! :D

I trained at a wushu school for a very brief period of time 2 years back - the training is different because the focus is different.

nospam.

fiercest tiger
04-21-2002, 03:39 AM
i here ya! what techniques would i use? it wouldnt be the n/mantis or drunken crap hahahah!

thanks for the answer.:)

What forms did you learn in wushu?

FT:)

nospam
04-21-2002, 07:19 AM
None.

I was there for a very brief period. But it was a lot of stretching and practising on tumbling and jumping. Just the things I would use when fighting :D

If you are into performance art, then wushu is a cool way to go.

Reading the website in question...they invite TCMAists to compete in forms as well under a different classification. No sparring, just forms comps... I would imagine this would appeal to many a student/school out there.

nospam.