PDA

View Full Version : Liu Yun Qiao Article

RAF
04-18-2002, 04:33 AM
For those of you interested, there is an article written in the 1970s in Taiwan about Liu Yun Qiao, founder of the Wu Tan Martial Arts Development Center of Taipei, Taiwan. It contains both English and Chinese (older characters) but you have to click on the pages and its about every two pages to get through the English. The article is at the bottom of the page.

Sinorama Magazine article on GM Liu
English and Chinese

http://www.wutangcenter.com/masteryang.htm

I hope you enjoy it.:)

count
04-18-2002, 09:00 AM
The article was entertaining but somewhat inaccurate. Some of the comments about Liu's lifestyle are contradictory to what I have been told. Still a pretty good read but I wish the format was better than those large images.

RAF
04-18-2002, 09:16 AM
Hello Count:

Andy Kuntz is the webmaster and I really don't have any direct input into how the site is done. You might want to contact him and offer suggestions.

I don't know who wrote the article, but one thing I found interesting is that Liu knew Yang style taiji, the taiji sword, and the taiji dao. As best I can trace, he learned the Yang style taijiquan from Zhang Xiang Wu who served under Li Jing Lin. I know that Li Jing Lin hired Song Wei Yi, Wudang taiji sword, to teach his troops and that Zhang Xiang Wu was there at the time and was also reported to be an expert in Yang style taijiquan. The taiji sword that Liu taught was very complete with many static and two man exercises along with parts A & B in the first and second level of the form. I have yet to see the taiji dao but have been told that it is really a series of line movements, not really a form. This seems consistent with the old ways of teaching.

Anyway, the article is set in the 1970s (late, I think) and you can see he also is teaching a number of pieces from his bagua system.