PDA

View Full Version : Twisted Ankle advice?

isol8d
04-18-2002, 07:34 AM
I "rolled" my ankle last night going from a front roll into a dragon twist. I'm up on the RICE, and I've taken tylenol and a NSAID. Any other advice for a sprained ankle?

spiralstair
04-18-2002, 07:52 AM
A homeopathic pain relieving and healing cream called TPR, or The Perfect Remedy cream. It is not 'hot', or 'cold', or sensitizing in any way. Better than Jow, plasters,Zheng Gu Shui, better than just about anything for direct application to injuries that haven't broken the skin. The maker has a phone # 1 800 537 7246. Ask for info for a retailer near you, or buy it over the phone. It usually runs about $20.00 for a 4 oz tub. Start using it as soon as the RICE bit gets old.

BeiTangLang
04-18-2002, 08:24 AM
My best advice would be avoid putting any exteral rub-on stuff on it; Keep taking the tylenol. Alternate hot & cold packs on it every 15-20 minutes when you are stationary & wrap it with a stretch bandage to support it when you have to put any "mobile" presures on it. Stay of of it as much as possible for a couple/three days.

BTW, Dry cold and heat packs are far better for the healing than water basins or plastic-bag based ones.

PaulLin
04-18-2002, 08:55 AM
Well, sound like you have hurt your tendon. Then the part of that tendon cannot be pull any more, so you have to keep it still. However, the blood circulation must push up even more for healing. Without moving that part of body, you can only relaying on external stimulations, such as heat/cold packs. Usually a cold pack is for slowing down the further injury and heat is for fastering up the recovering.

Zheng Gu Shuai is a very common used Chinese medicine for stimulat the blood circulation. I don't hear any bad things about it except some people react with skin sensitive. It can be used with the combination of heat pack to max the effect.
other like Hung Hua Yo (red flower oil), is not as effective as Zheng Gu Shuai.

An intake wine called Hu Gu Chiu (tiger bone wine) is said to be helpful in that case, but I think this wine was out lawed for the protection of tiger.

That is what I know about this issue, I hope this will help.

BeiTangLang
04-18-2002, 09:55 AM
Exactly. Cold to reduce swelling, heat to promote circulation.
Cold applied for the first 12 hours or so after the injury, then alternating heat/cold packs to both promote circulation/healing and to keep the swelling to a minimum after the heat is applied.
Best of luck!
BTL

PaulLin
04-26-2002, 03:52 PM
Isol8d,

How is your ankle doing now?

isol8d
04-29-2002, 05:11 AM
It's doing better, but it is still not one hundred percent. I invested in a neoprane ankle brace, and I have been wearing that while I practise, and that has seem to make a world of difference. It's definitely healing, but I've had to cut back on other things, such as running and basketball, to focus on getting my ankle better for my kung fu.

Thanks everyone for the advice.