PDA

View Full Version : Baji in Manga

Daredevil
04-18-2002, 02:58 PM
Heya,

I remember there was once talk about a manga that features baji in it. If I recall correctly it was called Kenji. However, doing a search based on that information hasn't led me to find anything on it, so I'd be very interested in any further information anyone could give me!

Thanks!

Jimbo
04-19-2002, 07:23 PM
I saw this Japanese Manga Kenji (Ch'uan Erh in Mandarin) that was translated into Chinese when I lived in Taiwan. I'm not sure but I think it ran for about 30 books or so. The title character was a Japanese teenager who grew up learning Baji and encounters other martial artists in his journeys. The series also had histories of Baji, of Master Li Shu-Wen, Liu Yun-Qiao, and also had appearances by Adam Hsu, kung-fu movie director Liu Chia-Liang, etc, in the stories. Kenji's worst enemy was a gangster who practiced Hung Gar and later, XinYi Liuhequan.
I've not seen it since i lived in Taiwan, and don't know if it's been released in the west. IMO it might have been the best manga as far as Chinese martial arts.
Jim

Kempo Guy
04-20-2002, 02:08 PM
When I lived in Japan, I picked up the entire series. I believe the original Japanese series was 21 books. They just recently re-issued the books in Japanese ( I saw them at a Ki no Kuniya in downtown Los Angeles a few months back), and now contains about two or three of the original books per volume. I picked up two volumes of this 'new' series since that was all that's been released so far. So if you have a KinoKuniya in your neck of the woods I'm sure they can order it for you. It is published by Shonen Sunday Comics.

This series is primarily about Baji, but it also gets into Praying Mantis, Ba Gua, Chen Tai Ji, Pi Quan, Xing Yi, Xin Yi Liu He, Shaolin, Hung Gar, Daito Ryu, Shotokan and numerous other styles.

FWIW, these books were what initially turned me on to the internal styles. Kenji is also my favorite Manga, and beat out Karate Bakaichidai (which is the fictionalized story of Mas Oyama - the founder of Kyokushin Karate).

Hope this helps.

KG

Tainan Mantis
05-14-2002, 05:57 AM
Based on the life of Song Tien Long Dz. The boy really did study with those people in the comic book.
He has also written many kung fu books on the styles that are in the comic.

Some other good comics.
Dragon ball(early years)

Wu Long Yuen. Taiwanese comic about monks in Shaolin(satire)