PDA

View Full Version : Any Information on MokGar Gung-Fu

diego
04-18-2002, 06:55 PM
Is this a Seperate Branch of Sing Lung's Tibetan Lion Roar?.
Thanks

buddhapalm
04-18-2002, 08:43 PM
Hi Diego,
Here is a British site on Mok Gar:

http://www.mok-garkungfu.co.uk

It may help.

Any luck finding out about W. C. Wong ? Also my teacher, if he was still alive would probably have been able to tell you some of the intricate details of Chinatown training in the 60's etc, unfortunately he passed away almost 10 years ago.

The Mantis teacher you mentioned, could it have been Brendan Lai, and also do you know if it was Northern Mantis or Southern Mantis. Sorry to go off topic here.

Cheers

Buddhapalm

diego
04-18-2002, 08:57 PM
all i know is its not the hunggar master:) , and the article states in ruff english translation from french"as he mainly taught in montreal?"

it says hopgar kajukenbo and karate blahblahblah, and mantis from wc wong of san francisco, and internal methods? from him to?
south or north know idea??, thanks for your help tho, i'm going to check this mokgar site now
Peace

diego
04-18-2002, 09:08 PM
i love southern shaolin family styles, but that sounded funny when i read the style was developed by a midget.:) :D

Is thier a Mot-Gar related to Hop-Gar and Bak-Hok?

buddhapalm
04-18-2002, 09:08 PM
Hi Diego,
What kind of internal methods did he learn ?

Soft Internal Chi Gung or Hard Internal Training, from my understanding there are different kinds of internal training.

In your system do you use a shuffle step to attack and retreat and use a short 6 inch internal punch from the forward guard position while stepping ?

Did you find Rick Alemany yet ?

Cheers

Buddhapalm

FIRE HAWK
04-18-2002, 09:28 PM
http://www.sojournpast.com/

FIRE HAWK
04-18-2002, 09:31 PM
History of MO Gar Boxing:

MO-Gar or MO family boxing is quite rare in the United States. To be a rare martial art is a dubious honor. Is it rare because it has no value or because it has great value but can only be found through extra effort? MO Gar is certainly a rarity in the United States. But make no mistake, MO Gar has all the qualities that give it great value. And yes, it does take more than the average effort to find.

MO-gar is one of the five family styles of south China, centered in and around Guangdong province. The other family styles are Hung Gar, Lau Gar, Choi Gar and Lee Gar ("Gar" means "family"). It came out of the southern Shaolin temple in Fujian about 300 years ago. When the temple was destroyed, one of the monks from Fujian, Huey Jeng settled in Guangdong in the city of Hai Feng in Dong Gwan county. The people of that area were all surnamed MO, so what the monk taught them became known as MO Gar boxing. MO Gar boxing was passed down within the MO family for many generations until Lin Yum Tong received the responsibility of carrying the MO family boxing tradition as its Grandmaster.
The Masters

Lin Yum Tong was one of the five tigers of the south. Along with Lam Yiu Quia (Dragon style), Cheung Lai Chun (White eyebrow), Lee Sen-Ji (Lee gar) and Huang Shui Sharp (Arhat boxing).

Lin Yum Tong, in turn, taught his children including his second son Lin Zhong Wei who became the Grandmaster when his father died.

Lin Zhong Wei started his training at the age of 8 in 1924. Having a thirst for kung-fu that was insatiable, Lin Zhong Wei was introduced by his father to some of the finest teachers of his time.
In addition to MO -Gar boxing, he learned Dragon style from Lam Yiu Quia, Yau gar fist from Yau Dashen, Tan Toui and Gung Lik Kuen from Chen Tieh Sheng, Yang Tai Chi from Yang Chen Fu and Wu Tai Chi from Wu Jian Quan. He also learned several more esoteric styles.

Grandmaster Lin Zhong Wei has studied kung-fu for over 75 years, constantly learning and perfecting his arts. He was named one of Guangdong's Hundred Martial Heroes, and sits on numerous martial boards and associations. Sifu Lin currently lives and teaches in Guangzhou, China.

Principles of the Style

The essential characteristics of MO Gar include

1) postures that unite offense and defense into intertwined motion
2) Flexible stepping
3) Forceful and powerful fists joined with fierce strength
4) Long and short attacks to match the postures used

The strategy is to combine postures that are both offensive and defensive into a fluid and unhesitating motion that can be delivered in a variety of heights, directions, and from either long or short distances. The result is that the practitioner becomes a whirl wind of fierce and devastating power. The practitioner attempts to complete five moves within a single second.

MO-Gar is famous for it's kicking techniques. MO-Gar legs are as fast as most peoples hands. One of the verses about MO Gar refers to " MO Gar lighting legs". What most styles do with their hands, MO gar does with its legs. It uses legwork for trapping, breaking, blocking, and attacking.

Since MO boxing favors legwork, flexible stepping is a critical element for the success of any movement. Initially, the practitioner has no control over the opponent's attack, therefore in MO Gar the ability to engage and respond to a attack is dependent on the legwork. A practitioner's flexible stepping causes a continuous change in the presentation of the body to the opponent. This constant changing of the angle and presentation of the body is part of what gives MO Gar its effectiveness.

Each posture can be performed at three heights and in eight directions and from long and short distances. Combined with flexible stepping the practitioner who learns which postures to use, when, and how to adjust them to the opponent's movements becomes quite elusive and is able to deliver a fierce, fluid, and continuous offense and defense.

MO Gar style uses eleven kicks, six stances, eight stepping patterns, nine fists, six palms, and five elbows. Traditionally, the student learned one posture at a time and only progressed to the next posture when all three heights and eight directions were mastered.

As is common for all kung-fu, there is a paradox in the mastering of the postures. To understand and master a posture, it must be in its proper context, but proper context is only truly understood if the postures are comprehended. First you learn the alphabet, then words and finally sentences. Just like one word can have many meanings until it is defined in a sentence, one posture can have many meanings until it is put in a form. When you are well versed in the postures, then you link the postures together to create the form. The form is a way to remember the postures as memory is greatly aided by repetitious patterns.

Training Patterns

Beginning MO Gar forms are a way of transmitting the basic principles of the system: flexible waist with rooted stances and proper weight distribution.

The intermediate sets start linking principles with ideas: How the hands and feet work together, why the postures are in the order they are in, and the limits of each posture. Each posture can become ten other postures and each of those can become ten more.

At the advanced level, all the influence of the style's nature and essence is combined with the student's spirit. This creates the ability to harmonize the postures with the student's strong and weak points, body type and size.

Early in the training process, weights are added to increase the power and strength of the techniques. The type of weights used are very important. They are traditionally iron rings and stone locks . Through the use of specific exercises with weights unique to MO-Gar, speed is enhanced.

MO-Gar rigorously trains the whole body because technique without substance leaves the training unfinished. MO-Gar training includes body conditioning so that you can withstand a punch or kick. If you want to deliver in a fight, you better be able to receive.

Forms and Weapons of MO style fist

The first set of MO Gar is called "Yeu goon lin za". It teaches the basic strikes and stances of MO Gar. Early on, the student begins to see the flexibility of the style and the linked whipping power, as well as the basics of spirals.

The second set teaches the MO Gar kicks and unifies them with the hand work. The student starts to see how the fist and foot can attack or defend together in the same posture. The kicking set increases a student's flexibility and opens up the hips, knees, and ankles. The kicks in the second set range from sweeping kicks to head height. This form teaches balance, root and power generation through the waist.

The third and fourth sets are introduced at the intermediate level. They continue to teach the union of the hands and feet in all manner of attack and defense postures. The intermediate level teaches the tight hand method or infighting techniques. These are elbow strikes, shoulder strikes, and short range palm and fist work.

Weapons training begins during the intermediate level. The first weapons learned are the staff and sword. A variety of other weapons, including spear, double swords, mother-son knives, three section staff , bench and twin rods, are then introduced. MO gar is famous for it's tiger fork set (Dai Pa).

The advanced form of MO Gar is called "108 kick set". It includes dozens of kicking combinations (using the seven sides of the foot, lower leg, knee and upper leg) plus jumps, leg locks and sweeps.

Traditional Maxims of MO-Gar:

One kick is far better than three punches,
for our arms measure less than two feet,
but our legs measure more than three feet

One kick can put out about ten times more power than a punch

Fist, waist and legs shall always be used together to achieve maximum results

Punch with a tiger's power

Kick high, low, and middle

Use swift movements and quick steps

Attack long or short - but always vigorous

Sojourn Past Martial Arts Institute, 4241 Park Boulevard, San Diego, California 92103 Telephone (619) 543-0911, or e-mail:
Sojournpast@earthlink.net

FIRE HAWK
04-18-2002, 09:34 PM
http://www.sojournpast.com/styles/mogar.html

diego
04-18-2002, 09:37 PM
im very basic, and the guy who taught me wouldnt know jing from his ass, and he only learnt like half?.

I was going to start typing what i get, about my techniques, but i didnt get advanced application, like how to move chi, in my basic punches, etc so i feel stupid, typing on it, as i could be doing what i know wrong:) , and then its a hybrid style, i guess made from the best techniques of what he liked from what he learnt, so i'm actually trying to find these styles basics out... its very confusing, but i imagine he learnt soft style internal, and the first set, is a grouping of 7 or 8 prearranged fight scenarios, wich is kajukenbo style of training, wheras chinese styles usually just have two man sets, for thier forms." but from what i know in this style only the first two forms are like this, then it goes into more classical forms" like the first section is agianst a two hand chest grab, and the next section is vs a right punch, the main thing i have gotten from this set, is a good idea applying my styles combos with fighting intent, wheras some forms you may do just for relaxation, like reccenter taiji:) .

K, that first section, @ the two hand grab, we slide our left foot back into a right side fighting horse, and smash a vertical right palm to the soft spot on opponents left elbow, with our right, then the right does like a 6inch vertical punch to the face, before switching stance and striking the face with a left tiger claw. Thats about all i can verifiably answer on the 6inch question, i mean i just did the basic hopgar punches, and that first set, for a few years, so thats really all my jing... besides mentally understanding alot of the styles application, like i got old videos or was the dummy for videos, so i understand, the combinations you would have figured out once learning all the foundational forms, but i have no root for the advanced application, as i didnt get into sparring and such, unless you count fighting with my teacher, wich is a whole other story" technically he has more knowledge of me in the style- but i hate him and to me hes a ***** and i could kick his ass- go figure?"....JUSTA RANTING, only because i tried to answer your question to build on the internal issue, but then realizas i aint qualified, to explian, so i gave you my history.

another reason its so hard to explian is im under the impression hopgar has pakua influences, and that kajukenbo in the 80s mixed with hsingyi, and in some of my technique thier is what appears to be a few pakua footworks, but what do i know, i havent even sparred.:D top all that off with the guy who taught this style was a bit shady"suppossedly taught hellsangels for extra cash, and was murdered in a nightclub in the 80s, and if you read N.Shaolins reply to me at the shaolin board, it seems the hopgar he taught, the main rep had the same rep, then im told thiers strife all throughout , it almost seems like everybody who learnt from him, hates each other....so i'm ****ed, all my info comes from luck, i mean i didnt even want to learn this style, i was more interested in bruce lee and wing chun imagery, but my moms boyfriend try to build good relations with me, but turned out to be a goof, then years later i realized how much info i have, and its free, so why not. Now im finding out how non-famous this style is...its going to take awhile:)
if some of this post is sketchy, ive been ****y allday, so i'm kind of chattering, Definatly thanks with trying to help me, tho
Much Appreciated:cool:

diego
04-18-2002, 09:44 PM
Firehawk, yah thats mokgar, i'l find the link where it mentions the style related to lamapai, i think its mot and the chinese ones mok, whoknows maybe you'll learn something:) ..... im gonna find that link back in ten

FIRE HAWK
04-18-2002, 09:58 PM
http://www.shaolin.com/wh_crane_martialarts.html

FIRE HAWK
04-18-2002, 10:06 PM
There was a issue of Kung Fu Quigong Magazine that listed 100 Chinese styles and some of them they mentioned came from Tiebetian origion one of them was called Knights Family Fist ,and Lama pai , and Tibetian White Crane and others too if i can find the issue i will write them all down .

diego
04-18-2002, 10:08 PM
goto greencloud.com, david ross of chan tai shan lamapai, wrote a long article, but i think they just chopped it" i printed the new one" check it out i couldnt find what i read about thier bieng a mo branch in this tibet style.

Say, you guys know about any other verifiable tibet kungfu, i mean after that whole cultural revolution fiasco, its prolly just as hard to find some as it was before they invented the airplane:)

diego
04-18-2002, 10:11 PM
knight family is Hop-Gar bakhok is white crane and lamapai is the tibet way of saying monkfist...wich all calls LIONROAR as they daddy....WHOS YOUR DADDY:p

dont mind me, ive been mad allday, now im happy so im giddy

diego
04-18-2002, 10:21 PM
just printed, so it wasnt a waste of time:)
I guess MotGar is a dieing system, You never read about it in the kf presses?,
Hm

FIRE HAWK
04-18-2002, 10:44 PM
There is a style in the Hymalayian mountains near Tiebet and Burma ,Nepal,Bhutan , called Vadha this is a very strange style there is a book out on this style called Vadha Martial art of the Hymalayians i plain on getting this book.