PDA

View Full Version : Ending a Figt.

red_fists
04-18-2002, 11:34 PM
Ok, Guys and gals stick with me here.

This is for self Defense purpose.
I was taught that in a real confrontation the objective is not to hurt the Opponent or win the confrontation, but to create an opening in which you can disengage from the Opponent and get away.
Our philosophy was that if in a confrontaton I can get behind my Opponent, get time to draw a weapon, step back or similar I could also use this to disengage from said Opponent.

Best disengagement would be to get behind the Opponent and keep going fast.

We were also taught that if we did not use this chances we would bassically be fighting multiple "Battles".
As our Instructors considered confrontations very short and bassically over whenever a break/chance to disengage occured.

This is the same reason why I was taught to avoid going to ground, doing submission holds and similar as disengaging becomes more difficult.
Of course this differs from Battlefield fighting and Competitions/Tourneys.

Any thoughts? Your style got a different philosophy?

Peace.

Merryprankster
04-18-2002, 11:40 PM
Nope-similar philosophy.

As a side note, you can take somebody down, flow into knee on belly, whack em a couple of times in the face, stand up and soccer kick to the head and run in about the same amount of time it takes to unleash a combo, seek a gap and run.

red_fists
04-18-2002, 11:43 PM
True.
:D

diego
04-18-2002, 11:44 PM
attack until he is in fetal position, or he says sorry, and something kind of cool, in hawaii when it started throughout the 50s, they say when they attacked, they didnt use traditional kiai, they would harshly swear on each strike, treating the guy like he just dissed your mother....helps you focus:)

PJO
04-18-2002, 11:47 PM
I believe in putting the person down as fast as possible and putting him down so that he won't be getting up anytime soon. This might be a little on the violent side but you don't know what the persons intentions are. I know someone who was walking by a group of people in his apartment complex. They started saying things to him. He just told them to shut up and kept walking. The group jumped him and started kicking and beating him, had the police not been called they might have killed him. It just goes to show someone may just want to talk sh*t or they just might try to kill you.

red_fists
04-18-2002, 11:53 PM
PJO.

That is also true.

What I said was the ultimate goal to strive for.
But of course you have to take all the factors into account and act accordingly.

OTOH, that Person by telling them to "shut up", could have triggered that confrontation.
Hard to say, since I wasn't there.

Peace.

joedoe
04-19-2002, 12:00 AM
Getting behind your opponent and running away is one thing, but effecting a good getaway may be a whole different thing. I guess my advice would be that once you get behind them, incapacitate them in some way to ensure that even if they are a faster runner than you, you will still get away.

I am sure you know all this, but I guess I am responding to your hypothesis of getting behind them and simply running :)

red_fists
04-19-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by joedoe
I am sure you know all this, but I guess I am responding to your hypothesis of getting behind them and simply running :)

That was just one example, I could give many more but it would be boring.

Premise on this one was that by the time he has turned around and realised where you are there is already a good distance between you and him.

There are many ways to create an opening and of course you can also your surroundings to help.
;) ;)

joedoe
04-19-2002, 12:30 AM
I guess where I am coming from is that I am not a fast runner - so probably about 90% of the population that I am likely to get in an altercation with will be quicker than me. In that case, I cannot afford to get past them and run, I have to ensure that they cannot catch up with me. :)

red_fists
04-19-2002, 12:36 AM
Naturally, there are no absolutes in a fight.

And you have to work within your own parameters, but isn't that the skill & mastery of MA to make the style/system your own?

Peace.

P.S.: Nearly time to quit this hell-hole of a Company and start the Weekend. :D

scotty1
04-19-2002, 12:41 AM
Depending on why the altercation started I would strike a cross between Red and PJOs strategies. Ie. the ultimate goal is to run off, as you don't want to be there when the police arrive anyway, but I would also make sure I could not be run after.

Also depends if you have women / children with you too.
Or your 400 pound Aunty. I'm sure you get the point.

dezhen2001
04-19-2002, 04:22 AM
Good thread Red Fists :)

To me the goal with self defence is simply to survive, and get it over with as quickly as possible. Whether that facilitates running away right from the offset, or when there is an opening etc. who knows? depends on the situation...could even just mean giving the guy your wallet or taking a hit, who knows?

I remember one time when i got jumped by surprise. i was on the ground before i knew what had happened. The guy stole my wallet and ran of. No way of catching him even from the time it took me to get up on my feet again (kicked him on the groin though - he hobbled away pretty fast :D).

So maybe it's more ending a 'situation' not really a fight...?

But if you're in a ruckas then again, take them out as quickly as possible so you can escape. I agree with joedoe that sometimes it may be difficult to escape so maybe you have to do what you have to do to survive it.

Anway the speed i run at is directly proportional to the scaryness of the person or ppl chasing me :D

david

Wu-Xing
04-19-2002, 06:48 AM
The situation plays a big role in what kind of strategy to employ but personally i would aim to hurt them enough so that they cannot get up nor do they want to get up and come after me, i figure if i cant walk away at my own pace and not be jumped from behind by them, then i havent given them enough of a beating.

P.S im a very fast sprinter but my endurance for running is very bad, so running does nothing but tire me quickly and give them an upper hand.

yenhoi
04-19-2002, 07:39 AM
Entirely depends on the opponent, situation, and environment - usually if your in a violent altercation you have already (should have already) exhausted all means of escape, or have already done something terribly wrong to be in that situation.

My goal would be to make sure the opponent cannot fight me anymore, me vs him/her - win.

Specially if a weapon is involved, then I am likely to kill or severly harm.

Regardless, I think I would at least break a few things on my opponent.