PDA

View Full Version : For Sharky, adrenaline dump managment

Ryu
04-18-2002, 11:54 PM
Sharky,
Different people respond to different stimuli when it comes to adrenaline dump training. Basically for myself I spar with full contact or put myself in bad situations that I must protect myself and work out of. I also work on situation drills where my attacker will hit me with a full contact sucker punch while talking to me. I don't know which hand it's coming from or when he'll do it, etc.
There's lots you can do. For my friend I trained him by doing the same type scenario drill with contact. I would start out talking, and sometimes get "aggitated" push him hard, swear, cuss, throw out racial slurs and throw a sucker punch when I felt he was "freezing". This type of training (though it sounds kind of crude) was actually very good. He was feeling the effects of his adrenaline dump in a controlled setting. His body began to shake a little, he didn't know what was coming, etc.
On another training partner, he expected me to come storming into the room through a certain door to start the fight, but instead I ran into the room from behind him, scaring the hell out of him, and immediately starting the fight there. He didn't fare too well at that time because he got stuck in the "deer in headlights" type of thing.
There's lots of different ways you can train adrenaline dump responses. Everything from detailed scenario drills, sucker punch defenses, to full contact sparring and even MMA competition.

The things listed above are some of the things I use. Drilling to deal with a "surprise" attack is very useful in my opinion. You have to make sure the guy is talking to you, and not just being "ready" for the attack. He has to communicate, and be ready for a surprise attack AND defend it when it comes all at the same time. Also don't always attack. Sometimes just walk away, etc. Mix it up so he doesn't know if something is coming everytime.

Ryu

Serpent
04-21-2002, 08:54 PM
Cool.

ttt for Sharky.

Tae Li
04-21-2002, 10:21 PM
Thanks Ryu, i reckone your post helped many!:)

Tae Li;)

tnwingtsun
04-22-2002, 12:07 AM
Dad used to put an apple on my head.:D

scotty1
04-22-2002, 12:27 AM
Time and willing partners help so much with such a lot.

Unforunately I have neither. :mad:

FatherDog
04-22-2002, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Ryu
I also work on situation drills where my attacker will hit me with a full contact sucker punch while talking to me. I don't know which hand it's coming from or when he'll do it, etc.

See, now I have an indelible picture in my head of Ryu as Inspector Clouseau.

Sharky
04-22-2002, 10:36 AM
thanks, this will help greatly.

unfortunately, i don't have anyone who would be willing to train with me in this manner, i am a bit of a loner MA wise, and so won't be able to take advantage of this (suggesting it to most people and they would just think i was stupid). It's good to know in the future though, and thanks for keeping your word about posting :)