PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Yip Man Kwoon?

fantom
04-19-2002, 06:23 AM
If you are looking for a Kwoon where the Sifu has lineage to Yip Man, go to

www.cebridge.com.au/Ipman/

The site contains most of Yip Mans best/longest students.

If you find any errors/additions contact the author via the website.

yuanfen
04-19-2002, 08:22 AM
There are lists and there are lists. Planet Wing Chun hasa very good list. the problem with lists is that it often treats claims of having learned directly from Yip man indisciminately and doesnt have a sense of proportion on listing folks in the current generation of students. A very mechanical conception of lineage.

fantom
04-19-2002, 07:30 PM
What Planet are you on?
Planet Wing Chun is such a hip and happening site, it only mentions there is one wing chun seminar going on in the world at the moment. And as for an exhaustive list of current kwoons, please do not compare the two sites.
Given time, the Yip Man site will document every kwoon in the world that has a web site and that has a Sifu who performs the 108 move Sil Lim Tao form basically the same way Yip Man did (yes it is known he changed it several times).
The person who travels the world and wants to train will be able to use this site to search out kwoons to train in - where they don't have to go back to lesson one and relearn the Sil Lim Tao.
You proabable train with Anthony Arnette, or Rex Aperauch or Joy Chaudhuri affiliated schools. This took me about one minute to determine using the Yip Man website (unless your Sifu does not have a website). Without using the Yip Man site , try to determine who I train with in Melbourne Australia, have yuanfen!

yuanfen
04-19-2002, 08:15 PM
So another new website. Good luck. Planet wing Chun web site listings are still tops. listing every currents seminar given by every Tom **** or Harry has little to do with Yip Man's 108.. and further your listing of the moves shows that you miss accuracy in some descriptions--they are fairly general descriptions. The devil is in the details.Further, your list of people at the bottom is a fairly general list of people who claim to have learned from Yip man. You didnt answer my question --- who put up the site? And tell me who do you "train" with?. Regarding your question:
What Planet I am on? Good question. Given time my system will figure out an answer. I train with K. Liang much of the time.

anerlich
04-19-2002, 09:00 PM
yuanfen does indeed train with Joy Chaudhuri. They ALWAYS train together.

Mate, the site looks good, but my Sifu's profile is pretty ordinary. You don't mention that he had 37 pro and >100 amateur kickboxing fights, did exhibition matches with Bill Wallace and Benny Urquidez, and that he was Australasian Blitz Hall of Fame KF instructor of the year in 1996, and his senior student got the same award two years later. The last thing you say about him happened in 1983. You mention my name on the site, but there are at least four active students who are my senior, some of whom have run independent schools for many years.

I know it's a big undertaking doing a site like this, but you did ask about omissions.

where they don't have to go back to lesson one and relearn the Sil Lim Tao

At our school, everyone starts at the bottom. I did, and I'd spent nearly seven years doing other styles. If you train with us, you will be relearning the SLT for a short time at least.

vingtsunstudent
04-20-2002, 02:45 AM
um, just to inform you.
the web site you have listed for barry lee is not his web site.
and he is teaching in germany not holland.
i do think it is good for what you are trying to achieve, as long as you know you can never make everyone happy you'll do well.
vts

fantom
04-20-2002, 03:48 AM
Seriously I think the fun has just began.

My intention was not to please anyone, just to state the facts.

Any profiles I have were derived from official sites. So if information is missing, it was either not there or I could not find it. A lot of sites do not include profiles about the resident Sifu. The disappointing aspect was sites often failed to mention/pay respect to their Sigung. Often, I know there are falling outs, but respect doesn't cost anything.

Please send any corrections/additions via the website email - it is just easier that way.

anerlich
04-20-2002, 04:33 AM
Please send any corrections/additions via the website email - it is just easier that way.
Easier for whom? I told you about it on here, I'm not going to send you a **** email as well.

My intention isn't to please you either, just to state the facts which are that you need to do more research. And on the subject of "facts", you missed quite a few.

There's no "official" site that has the abridged bio on my Sifu that you put up. I wrote or transcribed several web bios on him myself.

BTW, if you had witnessed the falling out between my Sifu and his Sigung, as I did, you wouldn't be giving the Sigung a lot of airplay either. Respect is a two way street.

www.combatcentres.com - the "official" site.

reneritchie
04-20-2002, 05:01 AM
Neat! Best of luck with it!

RR