PDA

View Full Version : Attn externalists

Ghost Dog
03-21-2001, 07:31 PM
Ok, I know this is a really boring topic but I have been doing tai chi chuan for a number of years of it but am just not enjoying myself and actuall dread going to class now. I started it originally cos I wanted to do chinese boxing but we don't seem to be doing any 'boxing' any more which really ****es me off. I am rather stuck for choice as to what art to study in my city. The only semi-decent schools here are of Choy lui fut, white crane, and wing chun (who lost in a comp against my tai chi chuan a while back). Is there a much of a muchness (is that an Irishism?) between various external styles when what I really want to do is to put into practise what I learn i.e. full contact fighting/sparring etc. Cos my only encounter with MA has been through tai chi and the way of Wu Dang, is it worth it abandoning all I have learned and pained through just to satisfy my desire to put the chuan back in to tai chi?

Advice on White crane, and Choi Lui Fut in particular as a fighting art would be warmly received.
Cheers

Waidan
03-21-2001, 08:52 PM
No matter which style you end up with, I think you'll find your taiji training won't be wasted. Correct breath, proper mechanics, and internal connection are important in every style. If your taiji is good, it'll give you a great headstart when learning to develop power in any true CMA.

If you're not getting what you want in your current class (and it sounds like this is definately the case!) you should find a situation more to your liking.

Wah Ren Jie
03-21-2001, 09:55 PM
From my limited understanding, White Crane is a soft-hard style. It would probably be easier for you for pick up considering your current experience. In the long run, it's all the same though.

Got Chi?

Fu-Pow
03-21-2001, 10:39 PM
What are the CLF schools near you? I might be able to give you some recomendations.

Fu-Pow

Fu-Pow
03-21-2001, 10:51 PM
Here's my e-mail if you want. fu_pow@hotmail.com

illusionfist
03-22-2001, 12:08 AM
Have you talked to your sifu about sparring more?

Peace :D

BIU JI
03-22-2001, 02:58 PM
Having good training in both an internal and external system could be very beneficial.I agree with Waidan , the taiji will have given you an excellent foundation for external systems.

After learning the first of the three internal forms in YKM my external forms improved tremendously.It teaches proper body mechanics, breathing, focus and general health as you'd already know. I wouldn't say your training until now was wasted, the system I do now is very different to the one I started with but it gave a good base to start from.
Good luck though I'm sure you'll find the right style. :) ;)