PDA

View Full Version : Torn ACL

Aramus
04-19-2002, 11:06 AM
So I tore my ACL a while ago (years), I injured it a few months ago again. I'm going in for surgery. Recovery time is 30 days to walk and do semi-normal stuff (6 weeks on crutches...maybe) and 6 months to a year to recover fully and be back to full strength. Yea, ha.

Anyone have any excercies that would be good (martial art, physical etc). Anybody else go through this (I figure there has to be quite a few). Anyone have some good books I can read while I have some down time. Anything else?
Peace and no injuries to all.

GreyMystik
04-19-2002, 12:29 PM
tons of stance training... double what you're used to. make sure alignment is correct so you don't hurt it worse, or hurt another part of your body.

KC Elbows
04-19-2002, 12:36 PM
No helpful advice as far as that goes, sorry. Good luck on your surgery, at least once that's done, you'll be back in working order.

I myself have an old back injury that I keep mindful of. I'm very mindful of it, every time I practice, I jow the area when I'm done, I always stretch, etc. I'm the old man at my kung fu class, yet I always hold my own(except against my teacher, but I always learn from fighting him).

I've come to think that injuries are just a part of life, and can make us mindful of how to take care ourselves.

Plus, when people start thinking of you as the injured/old guy, its great fun to watch their faces when you sweep them, throw them, generally pummel them with impunity.:D

David Jamieson
04-19-2002, 01:05 PM
Ligament takes a very long time to heal properley.
I wish you well on your surgery.
Personally, I would take it very easy on stressing the ligament in anyway when it's damaged, it's not like muscle or bone and doesn't heal or build in the way that you would encourage them (muscle and bone) to do so.

Ask your doctor about the scope of activity following surgery.
See if there are any medicines you can use to aid in or speed up the healing process.

Vigorous activity could lead to further damage.

peace

KC Elbows
04-19-2002, 01:34 PM
Very true, Kung Lek.

I wasn't suggesting you go spar. Just commenting on the up side of recovering, no one expects you to be all bad, but you still are.

Few things would be better than being the old kung fu guy no one messes with.

norther practitioner
04-19-2002, 02:07 PM
You know when your leg is straight and relaxed you can move your patella (sp?) errr knee cap. Well I was told that after a knee injury to do that from time to time to fend off any scarring. might want to ask a physical therapist about that one.....

nospam
04-19-2002, 08:06 PM
Yes, ligaments do take a lot longer to mend.

You want to perform active therapy on the area and surrounding muscle groups after passive therapy ends, that is someone or something else is performing the movement.

You want to increase ROM to the knee and then slowly strengthen the surrounding muscles to limit the stress on the ligaments. Lean back, raise your leg up 6" or so and then press your heel against the floor - relax..repeat.

Small and slow seated leg raises against no resistance to begin with, then adding incremental weight as your recovery progresses. Cycling...jogging...static single leg bends using the body's natural sense of equilibrium - a great exercise even for the healthy!

After six months ya should be as good as new. Of course recovery is different.

nospam.
:cool:

Merryprankster
04-19-2002, 08:15 PM
Dude, see a physical therapist. They can teach you all sorts of stuff about what to do. You'll get way better advice.

However, Kung Lek WAS right on about ligaments. They take forever to heal because the blood supply is so poor. One of the treatments that takes advantage of the body's healing ability is called prolotherapy. Essentially, they inject the affected area with a solution that makes your body grow capillaries in the area to transport the solution out and bring the swelling down. The side effect is an increase in blood flow volume to the affected ligament, increasing healing--and in some cases, actually improving on the original strength of the ligament.

The downshot, I am told, is that it hurts like you wouldn't believe, and you can't take any pain medication.

Qi dup
04-20-2002, 06:27 AM
Sorry to hear about your knee Aramus. Knee injuries suck. I know what you'll be going through, I had my 3rd knee surgery in september. IT's just going to take a lot of time. Listen to what nospam said, he's a smart guy and it's good advice. MP was also right about seeing a physical therapist. You can go to them right away. The sooner you start using your knee, the better. By using I don't mean low horse stance. But they will give you some exercises you can do on your own. mobolization (sp?) exercises at first. A good one to do is lie on your back with socks on in front of a door. put your bad leg up a few feet on the door (fairly high up) with your good leg behind it. now slowly bend your bad knee, sliding it down the door with your good leg doing most of the work, guiding it from below. do this more and more and you will get more movement back in your leg. So your bad leg is against the door wth your good foot right behind it. that is one exercise you will be able to do almost right away. ask your doctor how quickly he wants you to start doing these exercises, he'll probably say with in a few days. Man, your gonna have some kick ass scares on your knee! I was in physical therapy for about a year, a lot of that three times a week. I've seen lots of people recovering from your same sergery. You can have a full recover, so don't worry to much and stay positive. once your back on your feet stance work will really help. not low stances, but just getting those muscles back in use will really help.

AS far as good books, hmmm, I don't know, how about war and peace or the bible? that aught to keep you busy for a LONG time:) I'm sure other people have good sujestions on good books. maybe take a deep interest in your art, really take an indepth uderstanding? I just read the Godfather and it was pretty good.

Good luck man. Stay posative and you'll amaze the doctors with your quick recovery!