PDA

View Full Version : 2nd choice style

wt_disciple
04-19-2002, 11:38 AM
If wing chun didn't exist, what style would you train in? Personally, I favor mostly Gung Fu styles, Kali, and Western Boxing. If those were unavailable, then maybe jiu-jitsu.

:cool:

wt_disciple

CanadianBadAss
04-19-2002, 05:30 PM
I would go for boxing or bjj, unless I found a really good kung fu school cause most of it's crap.

CanadianBadAss
04-19-2002, 05:32 PM
i gues thats not fair to just say that about kung fu. It's probly true with every style. It's just that I've had some first hand experience with ****ty kung fu.

Martial Joe
04-19-2002, 09:57 PM
Stand up-Mauy Tai

PHILBERT
04-19-2002, 11:02 PM
Southern Mantis or Praying Mantis (7Star, 8Step).

wtjoe
04-20-2002, 03:05 AM
southern mantis or bak mei or perhaps bjj

yuanfen
04-20-2002, 07:40 AM
If not wing chun- I would pick the style of the best available teacher that I could find rather than pick a style and have a mediocre teacher..

Alpha Dog
04-20-2002, 07:51 AM
Why did you (pl) choose it over others?

If there exists a universe in which there is no Wing Chun but there remain all the same desirable attributes of Wing Chun, it is reasonable to assume that something very similar to Wing Chun would also exist there.

What is Wing Chun, anyway?

PHILBERT
04-20-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Alpha Dog
Why did you (pl) choose it over others?

If there exists a universe in which there is no Wing Chun but there remain all the same desirable attributes of Wing Chun, it is reasonable to assume that something very similar to Wing Chun would also exist there.

What is Wing Chun, anyway?

Don't give me this philosophy cra.p.

Anyway, I chose WC because I liked the economy of motion and how you don't sit there and waste energy taking these huge flashy stances (though I do like all styles of Kung Fu, and I am not dissing other styles), I don't go for flashy movements.

azwingchun
04-20-2002, 11:48 AM
I would have to say Xing Yi, though very different it has some similar qualities.;)

TjD
04-20-2002, 12:03 PM
bagua or xing-yi here :)

internal styles relaly interest me

kj
04-20-2002, 12:26 PM
I'd probably do a bit more homework on Aikido and Yi Chuan, including research on good teachers in those arts. But there's a high likelihood my final choice would be a combination of yoga and membership at a top notch shooting range.

[Censored]
04-20-2002, 12:35 PM
If nobody in the world knew any real Wing Chun, then I guess I would reluctantly practice...

Ving Tsun!

Just joking folks. ;)

mun hung
04-20-2002, 01:00 PM
Tai Chi or back to Kendo and Iado.

Wingman
04-21-2002, 06:14 PM
Before I studied wing chun, I was already practicing wu style tai chi. I switched to wing chun because it takes a shorter time to apply what you have learned in a fight. In tai chi, you have to know a lot of forms before you are taught push hands. I have been practicing tai chi push hands for some years but I still don't feel confident if confronted with someone from other MA styles. I still practice tai chi until now for relaxation purposes. I practice wing chun so that I will be prepared during "emergency situations".

tnwingtsun
04-21-2002, 11:55 PM
As for me I don't know,but grandmaw says she'd study

Tai-Bo,that Billy Blanks really gets her wound up and moist.:D