PDA

View Full Version : JKD differences?

Loke
04-19-2002, 05:26 PM
I hope this questions is not redundant but I hope someone can answer a question I have.

What are the differences between PFS (Vunak method) and JKD Inosanto and/or Bustillo method? Is Vunak's method still considered JKD?

Also, I'm wondering if JKD could be described as a principle based art? Although, it seems like some JKD practitioners seems to be technique collector's...?

Thanks,
Loke

yenhoi
04-20-2002, 07:06 AM
there are differences between each practicioner of JKD, specially true for instructors.

The rest of your question is subject to much debate.

Jeet Kune Do is just a name.

Loke
04-20-2002, 09:18 PM
Let me rephrase the question, are the attributes that Vunak shows/teaches similar to Inosanto's method of teaching (vs. Bustillo's method etc.)? Is the attribute development different from school to school? Or is it so individualized that there really aren't any similarities from school to school in terms of teaching specific attributes?

I'm trying to get some impressions in regards to this as I am considering training in JKD, along with grappling (BJJ).

yenhoi
04-21-2002, 01:42 PM
JKD instructors are highly individualistic - most will incorporate bjj or some sort of proven groundfighting art/method.

I am not personally familiar with Vunak's teachings, and his website is pretty vauge, but I would say his method would differ sleightly if not greatly from Bustillo and Insonanto. I am pretty sure he is part of the concepts camp (If I remember correctly he does incorporate alot of filipino stuff etc... not just Jun fan gung fu/kickboxing.)

At any rate you should personally inspect the instructor and ask lots of questions.

Sensei Kunz
04-25-2002, 12:54 PM
Each JKD instructor has their own personal abilities and attributes to bring to the table. One must interview the instructor and find out their qualifications, tract history, past accomplishments and their beliefs in what they teach. But remember that JKD is in the practitioner and the instructor is no more than a guide to your own destiny.

Sensei Kunz
http://www.selfdefenseforyou.com