PDA

View Full Version : Szechuan Hung Gar--is this inacurate information?

FullCircle
04-20-2002, 12:02 AM
I got this from the book The Ultimate Martial Arts encycopedia" by John Little and Curtis Wong. In a chapter on Hung Gar, they state that there is a branch of Hung Gar called "Szechuan Hung Gar" and list the following hand sets:

1. Siu Hong Kuen(small red fist)
2.Da Hong Kuen(Big Red Fist)
3. Hong Moon Choy(Red Door strike)
4. Hong Moon Sao(Red Door Hand)

These forms sound very much like the forms that "Ten Tigers" listed in my previous post on "Hong Cha" kung fu and Sifu Lung Kai Ming's kung fu. Is the name similarity just a coincidence and is Lung Kai Ming a master of a different style of kung fu than Hung Gar? Has anyone heard of Szechan Hung Gar kung fu? If so, are these forms at all like the fist sets of the other Hung Gar lineages?(Canton-Village HG,Ha Say Fu Hung Gar, and Wu Bei Hung Gar). Again--I realize I have much to learn..I'm just going by what the book says about the fist sets and the other Hung Gar lineages. Thanks.

Buby
04-22-2002, 12:36 PM
Sifu,
Could this be the Hung Kuen that sijo trained in?

Take care,
buby

fiercest tiger
04-22-2002, 04:08 PM
I dont know know!

:eek: :D

Buby
04-22-2002, 05:16 PM
Thank you ahhhh! LOL

I was trying to call you earlier, but no luck. I'm here at work till 11pm my time, so holla if you get the chance.

Take care,
Bubsta
YKM two legged pit bull

mono68
04-23-2002, 01:48 AM
Getting back to the thread. These forms are northern based or hunan based. The songshan shaolin temple teaches these forms.
Hung Ga, Hung Kuen, or Hung Ga Jap really does not teach these forms in there core curriculum. Only (and this is an assumption) if they are taught by a specific teacher(who may want to teach it as minor sets). Since these forms are of shaolin base. Remember not of southern base shaolin styles. The various Shaolin Monks here in the US Monk Goulin comes to mind and in Shaolin temple in Hunan teach these as mentioned before.