PDA

View Full Version : Are Pull-ups really effective for the back?

chen zhen
04-21-2002, 11:02 AM
I have heard several times that pull-ups are good for the back-muscles. But HOW good are they?

Kumkuat
04-21-2002, 12:00 PM
Pretty good imo. Well, pretty good for the lats. For lower back, deadlifts are pretty good. Other good exercies for the back are the various rows.

tri2bmt
04-22-2002, 06:24 PM
Pull ups are the best possible exercise for the back if you ask me and you do them right.
Pull up slowly and as you pull up raise your legs in front of you without swinging them and pause at the top getting your legs as high as possible.
SLowly lower yourself to a full hang and repeat.
If you can't raise the legs raise your knees to your chest.
DOing them this way is great for the entire back and involves a good contraction of the abs as well.

IronFist
04-22-2002, 10:22 PM
Inic, how much do you weigh? Have you ever done weighted pullups? How long does it take to do 80? I assume in multiple sets. That's pretty good... even if it is in multiple sets. So good that it's kind of hard to believe. Unless you're talking like 10 every hour for 8 hours or something.

IronFist

Starchaser107
04-22-2002, 11:55 PM
back in h.s., a very long time ago i could do 100 straight, i was bigger then cause i was weight lifting more...pull ups are a good exercize

IronFist
04-23-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
back in h.s., a very long time ago i could do 100 straight, i was bigger then cause i was weight lifting more...pull ups are a good exercize

No offence, but you just set off my bullshít detector. Were they full reps? All the way down, elbows straight, all the way up, chin above the bar?

IronFist

Ka
04-24-2002, 12:34 AM
Hard core
just wondering are these overhand wide pullups on a bar?
10 mins is damm quick do you rest much inbetween sets?

I can't say I buy the 100 deal,however I know of people who can push out in the 30s on a rounded jug holds at shoulder width which works the forearms(and so I am guessing less on the lats) a bit more then with the wrap grip of a bar.

Iron, Hows the one arms going?

IronFist
04-24-2002, 01:14 AM
Almost, dude, almost. Last time I tried, about a week ago, I got about 80-90% of the way up with my right arm. Left arm was 75-85% of the way up.

But then I saw the pictures on that article again, about the one handed pullups, and the guy doing it there was up as far as I was. It seems that with one arm pullups your head doesn't get quite as high above the bar as it does with two arm pullups, correct?

If that is the case, then maybe I did a complete one arm pullup with my right arm!

IronFist

Ka
04-24-2002, 02:15 AM
Good Value,cranking like a demon:D

Yeah I would say you are there,that last little bit is more a squeeze of abs and a rock towards the bar (I think using the bicep a bit??)That works for me.

Off thread, I recently did a bit of damage to the pec minor and intercostalls,do you know of any remedial excersices that would be good to get them back to strength.

Inic
there is no doubt you are competent with your own body weight so maybe you should try some added weight and or vary grips /types of chins.What is your goal with this reigime?

IronFist
04-24-2002, 12:58 PM
try hanging from the bar with additional weight on a weighted chin belt or something.

IronFist

Ford Prefect
04-25-2002, 08:17 AM
LOL @ 100 straight pull-ups!