PDA

View Full Version : My first Kungfu Class

dre_doggX
04-21-2002, 12:58 PM
Wow I am taking kungfu under a high ranking Instructor from Indianapolis, Indiana, he teaches alittle of everything tell you find out what you want and he has made his own style of Tai Chi chuan(with the help of some of his instructors) this style he says is influence by Lohan kungfu.
He had several instructors the main ones from China, and Hong Kong.
learnt in Animals, North and Southern Shaolin and others.

the name of his school is Wu Gung Tao,
and I will probably study some animal and his style of Tai Chi CHuan(WuGungTao Tai chi chuan)
but I will study Northen Lohan , and Wing Chun.

Class was cool

he pratice chi sao, and apparently you can learn some things out of books and videos, but nothing beats an instructor. I learned that in about 6 minutes of class.

Ray Pina
04-29-2002, 06:21 AM
Glad to hear you are stoked. Welcome to the family.

Now the BUT...

Simply be careful. I don't know your school from a hole in the wall, but have seen many schools promoting: Kick boxing, Tai Chi, Shaolin 5 animals, ect. , all in the front window.

Be careful. Some of these arts will contrdict each other's method. Also, if he is a real deal Taiji instructor, one would have to wonder why he's interested in teaching Shaolin. Kind of like a world class violinist wanting to bang on kitchen pots and pans.

Maybe you are lucky and found a true teacher who has a lot to offer, they are out there. In that case, then see what it is that you like and specialize in it.

Don't want to seem negative. MA are great. Great for your entire being.

Just be careful and a little sceptical at first. You can do it while being respectful. Especially since you are new, play dumb, and ask, "how does that work in real life." If he's hardcore, he'll be more then happy to show you. Don't take, "I can't show you without hurting you." Bull. He can and should. More teacher insists we come at him with full power. I feel bad because he's more then twice my age, but he gets insulted if I don't. He wants to prove that his stuff works.

Look for that in a teacher. Because if they don't feel that way, how can they make you feel that way.

Enjoy.

Ray

MaFuYee
04-30-2002, 10:01 PM
hehe good troll.

:D

MaFuYee
04-30-2002, 10:02 PM
evo fist, you got hooked.