PDA

View Full Version : My First Kungfu Class

dre_doggX
04-21-2002, 01:06 PM
Wow I am taking kungfu under a high ranking Instructor from Indianapolis, Indiana, he teaches alittle of everything tell you find out what you want and he has made his own style of Tai Chi chuan(with the help of some of his instructors) this style he says is influence by Lohan kungfu.
He had several instructors the main ones from China, and Hong Kong.
learnt in Animals, North and Southern Shaolin and others.

the name of his school is Wu Gung Tao,
and I will probably study some animal and his style of Tai Chi CHuan(WuGungTao Tai chi chuan)
but I will study Northen Lohan , and Wing Chun.

Class was cool

he pratice chi sao, and apparently you can learn some things out of books and videos, but nothing beats an instructor. I learned that in about 6 minutes of class.

DelicateSound
04-21-2002, 03:09 PM
Sounds cool man - and I'm glad you seemed to enjoy it.

A few words of warning though - don't get "novelty blindness". I did and got ripped off bad style. Also see KungFuGuy! who got robbed by some dodgy Temple Kung Fu place. I'm only saying this because of phrases like:

he teaches a little of everything

and

he has made his own style of Tai Chi

...which always scare me somewhat. Not trying to p!ss all over your first day or anything, but "purchase" lessons like you'd by a new car - Shop Around. A lot.

Just some humble advice from a guy who knows the feeling of being screwed - not dissin'! :)

sticky fingers
04-22-2002, 01:35 AM
yes, don't fall into the trap of trying to learn too much at once, especially from a sifu who is willing to teach you what you want. When I was 1 year into WC, I followed a friend to where he trained. His sifu taught him what he wanted to know, so he knew all 3 WC forms,chi sau, plus many wooden dummy forms, Hung Gar and Choy lay fut forms. I only knew the first WC form,zero wooden dummy forms. Then we did some sparring and found that I could whoop his ass and his classmates that were about my level, even though we didn't spar in my school. Why was I able to hold my own?Because my sifu made sure my foundations were solid before letting me progress to the next stage. Even though my friend 'knew' more than me, his stances,footwork etc sucked. My sifu made us do countless hours of boring drills, stance and footwork training. We did single hand chi sau until we were bored to tears(Maybe that's why my school is small and has a high dropout rate.) But all that boring training has paid off.
That old adage 'Jack of all trades - master of none' holds true.

planetwc
04-24-2002, 04:59 PM
Unless this post was humorous and I didn't have on my smiley dectector, this school seems to have several red flags.

He teaches a mix of Shaolin, Wing Chun and Taiji?
And made up his own Taiji style? :confused:

I think what you will end up with is Chop Suey.
Exactly who were his instructors in each style and HOW long did he study with each teacher? Did he reach instructor level in these systems?

With the availability of people like Chen Xiaowang and others from Chen village the birthplace of Taiji for seminars here in the US, one questions the depth of training for someone to just coin their own version of Taiji. :rolleyes:

It makes the background in Wing Chun also questionable.

Caveat emptor. :eek:

stuff
04-24-2002, 06:05 PM
I'll be starting my Wing Chun lessons in a few days with Augustine Fong. I'm really looking foward to it.:D

rjlohan
04-24-2002, 06:08 PM
I just started Wing Chun two days ago. Good stuff, I reckon. :)

Hey, Ive got to know - does anybody know what 'Lohan' means? By coincidence, it's my surname - this was the first thread I've read, and no my curiosity is up. :D

I'm in no way Chinese - Australian back many generations. Anyone?

old jong
04-24-2002, 06:59 PM
You are going to learn some very good stuff! Don't ever leave that place! :cool:

rjlohan
04-24-2002, 07:29 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping so.
I'm training with Jim Fung Wing Chun or some such. s'posed to be pretty good.
:)

stuff
04-24-2002, 07:43 PM
Yeah I heard great stuff about him so I decided to join. I plan on cross training with something else later on. Any suggestions.
here there is BJJ,JJJ,muay thai, TKD, shaolin, Ed Parker Kempo, Karate, Kajukenbo, capoeira, Bujinkan(sp) Ninjutsu, Shotokan, escrima thats all i can remember right now

rjlohan
04-24-2002, 07:52 PM
Where are you at?

As for future training, I only know a little about kickboxing and capoeira.

Kickboxing (Muay Thai) is violent and psycho. :p You've got to be a real tough nut to do that. In Australia, competition kickboxing is pretty tame. If you fall over twice, the fight's over, and you're out. Doesn't even have to be a knockout - you trip, too bad. I think that's the way it is anyway. But, it has some definate benefits. One of the more applicable styles in real life, I'd say, and if you really want to hurt someone, it's right up there. :p

Capoeira is very 'dancy'. It's almost useless in real combat, but it's bloody cool to watch. I was thinking of doing that at one stage, but there isn't much on offer where I live. It's a real movement and flexibility oriented style.

That's my rant. :)

[Censored]
04-24-2002, 07:54 PM
Hey, Ive got to know - does anybody know what 'Lohan' means?

From Usenet, typos and all:

Lohan is the Chinese phonetic translation
of the indian word "ahrat" - which means one of the bhudda's inner
circle - in this case it refers to the travelling monk Bodiharma who
is credited with the 18 movements of the Lohan (Lohan Chi Kung) from
which Shaolin Kungfu is said to have developed.

Over time lohan has come to mean many things. It means enlightened, a
rank of monk, it refers to a style (lohan kungfu is generally shaolin
kungfu) sometimes t is taken to mean bald man as the lohan monks are
shaved disciples of the Shaolin temple. Lohan nuts are a healing item
found in Chinese dispensaries. As you can see it is a rich word but I
think that explains it quite well.

stuff
04-24-2002, 08:03 PM
lohan i'm in Tucson, AZ:)

rjlohan
04-24-2002, 08:05 PM
Cool. Thanks dude. :)

stuff
04-29-2002, 12:24 PM
I start Wing Chun on Saturday finally!!!!
:D

rjlohan
04-29-2002, 04:58 PM
Kewl. :)
I'm s'posed to be goin' again tonight, but it's starting to look like I'll miss it - have 3 Uni assignments to do by Thursday... :(