PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning

Tai-Jutsuka
04-21-2002, 08:17 PM
What is a good way to condition the more sensitive areas of the body that are common targets in fights? For example, the face. I have the weakest nose in the world. Hit it once no matter how or with what, and I am finished. This bothers me and I wish to alleviate it.

red_fists
04-21-2002, 08:31 PM
Me confused. :confused:

According to your profile you studied MA for 12yrs, shouldn't you be conditioned by now to take a hit to those vulnerable areas, or evenavoid getting hit there?

Especially for someone that trained since the age of 5.

Personally, I don't think that you can condition the face much, so may I suggest working on your Guard and defense techs.

Peace.

Tai-Jutsuka
04-21-2002, 08:39 PM
Yes, thats how long I've been in training. I rarely ever fight outside of training and competition and when I do, I don't really get hit in the face. But when I occasionally am hit there, it is devastating. I just wanted to know if there was something I could do for myself to make my face less sensitive.

red_fists
04-21-2002, 08:59 PM
HI.

Not a problem was just confused as some of the arts that you studied teach to roll with a face/head attack.

Which I think is my best advise.
Get a Buddy with some nice gloves on and let him punch you to those target areas and learn to roll with the punch thus minimising the impact.

Will take some time though. No, instant results in MA.

Merryprankster
04-21-2002, 10:03 PM
Spar with gloves and head shots as legal.

Wear some headgear too. It'll help keep you from cutting up a little, but the impact of the blow will remain...

fmann
04-22-2002, 09:33 AM
I agree with MP that you have to get used to being tagged in the face.

You can't really "condition" the face/head like you can condition other parts of your body:

1. The musculature of the face is relatively "thin" -- you can't "exercise" the face as extensively as other parts of the body
2. The skin of the face is also fairly sensitive by nature -- you want to react quickly to anything getting on your face
3. The bones of the neurocranium are pretty strong, but the bones and bony structure of the face are a mixed bag. You can't "strengthen" your nose bones, for example, like you can the bones in your leg.

You can only get psychologically conditioned and perhaps dampen your nerves a bit through training.

Tai-Jutsuka
04-22-2002, 02:58 PM
Good advice. Thanks. ^_^

yenhoi
04-22-2002, 04:24 PM
You _could_ cut your face, and let the cuts heal to buildup scar tissue. You could also break your nose to build up bulk and deaden the nerves.

When fighting without headgear you do occasionally get cut in the face, without gloves knuckles deffinitly will cut your face, and probably eventually break your nose.

You can try wraping gloves in some sort of abrasive material like canvas or ducktape.

Not really seriously suggested, except maybe sparring without headgear, just dont do it for too long, and not full power - you really just want the contact

Lust
04-22-2002, 05:34 PM
Ok I have a problem. Me and this person got in a fight. Turns out he was black belt in tae kwan do. So we fought for a while without me and him getting hit. The somehow he jumped on me, got me in a headlock and punched me right in the nose.
I don't know if it's broken, but I can only fully breath with one nosetrill. The other one is still breathable but hardly. Kinda like when you have a stuffy nose. This happened like a month ago and it still didn't heal. I'm really confused, is this temporarly or should I go to the doctor?

Any advice?

red_fists
04-22-2002, 05:38 PM
Lust.

Could be broken or some other damage occured.
Best go and get it checked out.

Just my advise.

Nin-Po-Dragon
04-22-2002, 09:56 PM
You can break your nose again and again and eventually there will be nothing to break................but who wants to live like that??
If you wanted to condition your groin area.....you could cut it all off
........how invincible would one want to be?? There could be many
bad things involved which one would not be willing to go through..
I guess when a war or something like that starts....you can wear armor............It is not worth destroying yourself

yu shan
04-26-2002, 08:36 PM
A guy that trains in Karate, no matter what style of karate, admits to being over come by a weak, crap tkd! You got balls! Instead of the Doc visit, I`d be thinking about what you did wrong, cause it couldnt have been very advanced, fighting against a tkd crap. What do they know, NOTHING!!! ahh When I`m in the mood I`ll tell you more!

yu shan
04-26-2002, 08:51 PM
Conditioning??? Let`s share!

Lust
04-27-2002, 02:36 PM
Well I couldn't really fight to my fullest cuz:
1. It was winter
2. 1 week ago I was sick with the flu, so I was still recovering.
3. I really wasn't ready for a fight
Oh well, next time Ill be more carefull, but the flu really wasn't my fault.

yu shan
04-27-2002, 08:17 PM
As for conditioning of the facial area, not going to happen. In Mantis boxing, we move the head around incoming attacks, then we attack. Other stuff going on there of course. Flu s*cks, that is a whole nother story.

Red_fist

You got it, good advice.