PDA

View Full Version : CLF Wooden Dummy

Jamesbond_007
04-22-2002, 09:06 AM
Does anyone know where one can purchase a CLF Ching jong? I have the plans to make one but its hard for me to get the teak wooden and I don't have all the equipment to cut it, so it would be easier to buy one. Any info would be great.

premier
04-22-2002, 09:32 AM
I haven't heard of anyone selling them. If you don't want to build it yourself, you can always take the plans to a local carpenter and have it made. It's expensive, but the good thing is that it will be exactly the way you want it.

premier

yutyeesam
04-22-2002, 10:01 AM
you should make it out of PVC - that is a really good way to have an inexpensive starter dummy. You need:
-Tire and concrete to suspend the whole thing
-6 inch diam PVC tube that is 6 feet long
-Some 1.5 inch diam PVC tubes to make arms and leg
-A PVC Y-connector tube for the mid level arms
-A spring to put through the top arm and suspend it on the body
-Some long bolts and nuts to put through the arms to keep it in place
-a strong power drill and circular saw attachments.

it's a bit of work, takes about 6 hours of your time, and about 2 days for the concrete to dry, but well worth it. Mine works great. I even put wheels on it so I can transport it! If you want more specific info, just ask. I'll be happy to share my recipe.

CLFNole
04-22-2002, 04:30 PM
123:

PVC is ok for a wing chun dummy since their dummy is more for technique practice. However for CLF it might not provide enough resistence because the main point of the ching jong is conditioning of the arms as well as improving footwoork. You really want to be able to bang on the CLF to really work your arms. When I first started to learn it I was rather stupid and went to hard and popped a blood vessel. My arm was bruised with a nice deep purple color. Sifu had to do dit da.

For practice it sounds ok but I'm not sure it will help on the conditioning end.

Peace.

dezhen2001
04-22-2002, 04:50 PM
PVC sux for a WC dummy as well :)

david

sui-fuw
04-22-2002, 05:32 PM
heres one gents.forget the dummy or you will become the dummy.if you do the dummy then do it for 2 yrs max.

bamboo.tie garden canes[made from bamboo]about seven feet long.tie four ties to secure it[a bunch]so it bunches to 5-7 inches.dangle one end to an arch way with string or twine,when lifted parallel it should point to your face[in your stance].then play with the other end,not to drop it on the floor[that end of what you play]use all that you have been taught,even kicks and tell me how you stick,feel and relaxe. lol

yutyeesam
04-22-2002, 10:37 PM
CLFNole:
Yeah, I know its not good for conditioning. But it's good for placement and developing proper structure. That's why I refer to it as a "starter" dummy.
Real Ching Jongs are pretty hard to come by. I don't know of any place in the US that specializes in making them...do you?

Eddie
04-23-2002, 08:08 AM
Jamesbond007,
If you are really struggling to get one, please e-mail me. I have had someone professionally make me one. It didnt work out to much, and if you have to convert your dollars to SArand, you wont end up paying so much (about $400.00 usd). The only problem would be shipping, which could cost allot, seing that the dummy weighs more than 100kilos, but I might be able to help with that.

If you are interested, send me a PM and I can send you more detail.

Jamesbond_007
04-23-2002, 09:24 AM
Thanks guys. Its weird how difficult it is to find someone to buy a Ching Jong. I've been to a couple of schools where they had some and they looked professionally make and then there where some that looked home made. I just thought there would be a dealer around. Eddie, I definately will contact you off the forum. Thanks