PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Ryu, Merryprankster & other Judo dudes who have done BJJ

Badger
04-22-2002, 09:30 AM
At $80 a month 1 day a week & $140 a month for unlimited.. BJJ is starting to seem a little expensive. It seems to be standard for BJJ training.
I love training Machado Jiujitsu but I am starting to wonder if I can get the same training at a better price.

So my questions: Would Judo training be a good replacement for BJJ training?

Are there any No-Gi training?

How often do you do groundfighting?

How important are belts & tradition in judo schools?

What do classes consist of?

What is the typical cost?

Thanks!
Badger

DelicateSound
04-22-2002, 11:12 AM
Are there any No-Gi training?

We used to do it, but very infrequently, and usually to teach things like balance and nonresistance to the newer members. It was more of light hearted relief - and good fun.

How often do you do groundfighting?

At least once every session for at least 1/2 an hour. It's about 35% of your tme I reckon in total.

How important are belts & tradition in judo schools?

Belts - It's up to you, no pressure but you have to be externally graded after Yellow [1st] grade so they like to prepare you well for the tournaments. Theory is easy. IMHO.

Tradition - Get used to bowing, kneeling and other general acts of reverence :) But it's always light hearted and fun, so it's OK.

What do classes consist of?

About 15 mins of warming up, then 30 mins "Kata", into Randori [always changing partners] then contest where about six people are on, the rest get to watch. Usually you fight, then rest, then fight etc... After [or sometimes before that] comes groundfighting.

In my school it was all varied, but we weren't part of the IJF [too small to afford it really] and so there were no real strict regs.

What is the typical cost?

I used to pay £1.50 from 7.00 till 10.30. But my Sensei was retired, and did it for love not money. Petrol money for him basically, and rent of the room. No profit.

Judo is IMHO much better for standing work, but to be a truly good fighter [if that's what you're after] you need to adapt to new MMA stuff and street stuff.. e.g: The tackle, No-gi-fighting, headbutts, etc. And be aware that about 40% of the throws you would NEVER attempt against a good grappler, or in the street unless you were the dogs gonads.

Sound OK?

Badger
04-22-2002, 11:50 AM
Theres Kata in Judo???

Bowing is ok. I just dont want to spend a whole class learning how to tie a belt or learning a kata.

I would like to do more takedowns/throws/etc.

I do like how my BJJ classes go as far as 1rst 30 minutes drills & the rest of the class rolling with no breaks(unleast I want one).

Thanks!!!
Badger

DelicateSound
04-22-2002, 12:20 PM
Kata is more like "throw practise", practising your turn-ins and positioning. You never do it for that long.

At the end of class we really used to fight for about 1hr constant, and as I was always fighting tough black belts I learnt quick. Very quick. And I leant how to hurt. Badly.

We didn't do too many "drills" more an emphasis on free-rolling randori to learn "real-time" if you catch my drift.

You WILL learn takedowns and throws - as they are the meat-and-potatos of the whole style, the whole point really. You'll learn a bit of joint manipulation and a few chokes, but its all about throws, sweeps takedowns etc.

You will have to put up with pins and holds though [grumble] pesky "sport" status.

I can't promise the school you try'll be the same though. Not in the USA anyhow. Give it a try though, it'll be worth it.

Merryprankster
04-22-2002, 07:23 PM
Badger-

You're not going to get the same groundfighting skills at a Judo school that you will at a BJJ school, in all likelihood, just because you won't practice them as often, and because MOST Judo instructors aren't as familiar with Newaza as with throwing.

Judo has tons to offer though, so no worries about whether you'll be getting good stuff (as long as the teacher is good.)

And I'm really not a Judo guy. I've done "some." By some, I mean stand-up grappling with a gi against judoka. If the Judoka is any good, I get thrashed :) I do have a passable uchimata, but just barely.

As far as no gi stuff goes--if you happen to want mostly no gi work, join a wrestling club. :)

fightfan
04-23-2002, 04:24 AM
Badger, just go to another school there in Dallas! I know Carlos is probably the best out there but there are more. Im sure you can find one cheaper!
Heres a link for a long list of MMA/BJJ related schools in Dallas:
http://www.txmma.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Web_Links&file=index&l_op=viewlink&cid=9

:cool:

type01
04-23-2002, 05:20 AM
personly i think that you should go for the judo option since i have practiced it for awhile and like delicatesound said train with black belts it hurts but rewards come quick. for me it was good experience in ground fighting since i had 16 black belts and a 6th dan to train with many were past champions or rising stars i did a lot of work with hold downs, chokes,arm locks,finger locks,strangles and learning how to move on the ground. i think it would be a cheaper and better alternative to BJJ