PDA

View Full Version : How do you get your arse in gear when you really have to get something done?

Sharky
04-23-2002, 04:00 AM
How do you do it? I have trouble doing it.

scotty1
04-23-2002, 04:05 AM
I just think of how ****ed off I'll be with myself when I've missed my chance. I hate that feeling. Think of the consequences of not being motivated and hopefully they'll be bad enough for you to get of your arse.

How's the boxing going? How does it compare/contrast to the Wing Chun? Do you think you'd get confused under pressure?

prana
04-23-2002, 04:08 AM
Sharky man,

If you know you got to do it, then first thing is to stop psychologically hating it.

Then if it is a complex thing, just do the worst bits first. That is what I do. Then slowly finish of to the good bits.

But dont create hate towards it when doing it.

Finally, well next thing you know, its finished, and you might, just mihgt even have enjoyed it for a brief moment, though you thought you'd never do it again.

But as always, you will need to do it again :( maybe...

dezhen2001
04-23-2002, 04:11 AM
i usually leave everything to the last minute and then have a mad weekend or whatever to get my project done :p Have no time to sit there and not do it (like i am now).

I'm trying to change that attitude of course, but that's just how i work!

david

Repulsive Monkey
04-23-2002, 06:19 AM
Small Intestine 4, and Gall Bladder 34 and tonify.

David Jamieson
04-23-2002, 06:24 AM
Give yer mom 5 bucks a week to come and shout at you until it gets done.

Make a deal with your girlfriend that she shouldn't be nice to you unless you finish certain tasks. And when I say nice... you know what I mean. :D

On the other hand, you could just stop being lazy, get off yer arse and do what you have accepted responsibility to do.

commitment has to come from within, nobody can make you feel "commitment" you either do it or don't do it.
That's all.

peace

Qi dup
04-23-2002, 07:39 AM
I listen to eye of the tiger or 'left behind' by slipknot. music always get's me pumped. other than that watching Jet Li movies get's me pumped as well. Disturbed is pretty good to listen to also. I try to just think of the results, being something better, putting my mind and body to something. But I never force myself. If I don't feel like donig a workout, then I won't. I'll just do it when I feel ready, maybe in an hour, maybe in a day. If I force myself I usually feel burnt out. It some how makes me a lot more regular with my work outs. that's probably not great advice, but it works for me;)

Sharky
04-23-2002, 08:14 AM
Thanks guys. I'm not lazy when it comes to working out - i'm going to the gym 4-5 times a week and going boxing tonight... in fact i overtrain to get away from doing work. I hate the course i['m doing (but i gotta stick it out) and i really got so much work that i'm having trouble finding much motivation other than i'll fail - it's not like failing is an option, it's not....

Anyway i just do need to get off my arse and work.

Hai_To
04-23-2002, 08:18 AM
The best thing to do is procrastinate, procrastinate and procrastinate. When you are done procrastinating, procrastinate some more.

That's what I do.

JWTAYLOR
04-23-2002, 08:23 AM
That's the greatest thing about being married. You no longer have to think.

When there is something that needs to be done, my wife just tells me to do it. Easy as that.

JWT

Sharky
04-23-2002, 08:26 AM
I heard that if you procrastinate too much, you go blind.

apoweyn
04-23-2002, 09:02 AM
i don't ask people here. :)

seriously, i find the small things and do those. it's all about momentum for me. do the small things, build up a head of steam, and then tackle the bigger things.

stuart b.

ratman201
04-23-2002, 09:24 AM
Take so advide from a college drop out. I'm going back to school in the fall possibly if I have enough money, but I'll be 22. The prospect of being 26 or 27 before I graduate and do something rewarding other than Kung Fu scares me. I don't want to start my career at the age of 30. Maybe if I was a grad student, but I'm not. Also the fact that I will be a 22 year old freshman (my credits won't transfer) going to class with kids just out of high school scares the **** out of me. My brother is a junior in high school and he might graduate from college the same year as me. Tough it out the soon you graduate the easier life will be. Plus if you have a real job when your young its a lot easier to do the fun things that cost money, like travel, devote more time to training while your you and be financially stable. You don't want to be the old man on campus, and if you are you better be getting your doctorate. Scare yourself it works.

qeySuS
04-23-2002, 10:32 AM
Heh i dont get off my ass and do stuff.

When i know it's the ABSOLUTELY last minute i start doing it, i got an exam tomorrow f.x. am i studyign? No. (it's an easy exam anyway).

I've found though that actually doing something isnt that hard, like when i'm sitting at home being lazy thinking "man i dont feel like going to practice" but then i MAKE myself go even though i dont wanna, and i always have no problem doing practice and hvae a great time, and like cleaning my room, i NEVER do it, but when i decide to do it it doesnt bore me and it doesnt really take that much time.

fa_jing
04-23-2002, 10:48 AM
Well, I noticed one thing when I was studying. The longer I put something off, the faster I got it done. (think about it). Of course, the stress is not worth it. Then, I would do alright as far as grades go, but I couldn't retain the knowledge afterward, since I was "cramming," so it really was wasteful. You need to have a more positive attitude. A person will spend so much energy not wanting to do something that it's worse then doing it.

Good Luck!

-FJ

DelicateSound
04-23-2002, 11:33 AM
Sharky - the way I do it is to DO IT.

I am THE laziest person for doing stuff I hate. I can practise my guitar or do my Kung Fu for hours, but work - I'm f*cked.

The trick is to DO IT. Stop thinking. Just open the book and start.

Really.

If I think about it I find myself negotiating between the part of me that wants to stay on the couch watching KISS waiting for Beyonce or Holly to come on, and the part that wants to pass my A-levels. The trick is just to force yourself to work. No conning yourself that "5 minutes won't hurt" or "As soon as I'm back from the pub". That fails.

Unless you're a guy who can do excellent time management, this is the only way. Trust me. :)

DragonzRage
04-23-2002, 01:54 PM
I assume you're in college. I am too altho i'm graduating soon. Dude, show some discipline. Trust me, i train alot too but if you train more than you study then i hope your goal is to make it as a professional fighter or something! Unless you're carlos newton training should not take precedence over school work. No offense but i think yer being a total slacker. Don't use training as an escape from getting your stuff done cuz that's just lame. Wasting work time in the gym does not make you a bada$$, but it WILL make you a loser. If you wanna be a bada$$, go to all your classes, go to work (if you have a job), go to the gym and train (if you have the ballz and the dedication) and then come home and study your a$$ off for the rest of the night and ace those midterms. If you do that then you the fukkin man and deserve respect. On the other hand, if you d1ck around on the internet all day and then use the gym to hide from your responsibilities that's just weak and immature. The rest of your life depends not just on your grades, but also on the maturity, work ethic and sense of responsbility you develop as you prepare to get out into the real world.

As for how to do this, mostly you should just sak it up and do it. But it also helps to schedule out your day so that you have some sort of structure to use as a point of reference. manage your time and do not let yourself waste any of it. I don't want to sound like i'm lecturing you, but you did ask the question:) Good luck

Xebsball
04-23-2002, 02:52 PM
I am the lazy master and im happy with it

joedoe
04-23-2002, 03:53 PM
1. Break your task up into small parts.
2. Allow yourself a reward for completing each task by a given time e.g. a few minutes training, a chocolate, etc. Do not use rewards such as watching TV, playing computer games etc. - it is too easy to get stuck doing those for longer than you should allow as a reward.
3. Do not think about how large the task is, think of each individual small task and how easy it is to knock over.
4. Take regular breaks.

I am assuming you are talking about studying for an exam? I used to do it the way I outlined above. I particularly found that breaking it up into smaller subject areas helped. I also used to study for 45min - 1 hr, then break and do 10 minutes of training, usually forms. That usually cleared my head enough to continue.

Using this method, I could easily put in 14-16 hr days studying before exams :).

dezhen2001
04-23-2002, 03:55 PM
d@mn - who woulda thunk it joe :D good advice mate :)

david

Yajirobe
04-23-2002, 05:29 PM
think you're a really bad dude don't cha Sharky? heh talk about someone being full of themself. or is that just your sig? eh either way. ;)

How do I get MY* arse in gear when I really have to get something done?

practice of course!

Sharky
04-23-2002, 06:20 PM
thanks guys, really useful stuff given, thanks joe and others :)

yaji - um... eh?

red_fists
04-23-2002, 06:22 PM
Sharky.

Here is some advise that you might not like.
I am also lazy, but at the same time I am a perfectionist. What a combo. :D
One thing I learned in life is "Success".

Everybody wants to be successfull, don't we.
Be good at MA, have a good GF, Wife, Family, earn a good Salary, have a nice Job.
Yeah, we want it all, but in order to get it all we need to give 100% to all those things.

So when you study give 100% to your study, when your with your GF devote 100% to her, in the Kwoon give 100% to your MA. and so on.

But at the same time you must also realise that time is previous and you need to allocate time for each part of your Life.

For me success is about the Quality of Life.
Could I be a Manager by now, you bet.
Could I be a better MA you bet.
In order to be a Manager I would need to spend less time with Family and my MA practice.

But my decision is to have a good Job and have a good Family while living in comfort and still continuing with my MA study.

Work pays for my MA study, my MA study benefits my work by giving me health and strong mind it also relaxes me to take care of stress in both Family and work.
On the other hand my family supports my MA study as I am a decent provider for their security and comfort andnot stessed out at home.

It all interlinks and works together to create my form of "Success".

Just something to ponder.

Yajirobe
04-23-2002, 06:34 PM
CONFUSED? good

Sharky
04-23-2002, 06:46 PM
Thanks red_fists. I did start my project write up today. As per usual ii found that it wasn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. So much work involved though. I am basically telling myself that after this month and a half i will have a longer summer of dossing about doing whatever i want, training 24/7 or sitting watching the simpsons or making new tracks or whatever!

I just need to get through next week first then i can worry about exams.

Thanks guys, i'm goin to bed!

Sharky
04-23-2002, 06:47 PM
and i too am a perfectionist but am lazy :cool:

joedoe
04-23-2002, 08:31 PM
Laziness is a virtue in a programmer :)

TjD
04-23-2002, 08:37 PM
i try and play up my arrogance/perfectionistism :)

if i need to do something i want to do
the mere fact that i dont want to do it i look at as a sign of weakness; which will make me want to do it :)

kinda like reverse psychology on myself

thats my last resort
if that doesnt work i agree with prana and a few other people

i just quit thinking about it and do it

peace
trav

Xebsball
04-23-2002, 08:59 PM
OR

You stop thinking about it and dont do it

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-24-2002, 12:18 AM
sell drugs and pay someone else to do the work.

scotty1
04-24-2002, 05:24 AM
GDA is back with a perfectly timed comment...

Did your phone line get cut off?:D

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-24-2002, 08:27 AM
nah, i've been lurking a bit.

since i still cant train for about a week i have been doing nothing but playing with the system i just built. jedi knight 2 is literally the very first 3dshooter i have ever played ... my old system was crap .. and now i cant stop playing them. been dreaming in a combination of jedi knight, quake 3, and soldier of fortune.