PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for Lloyd Irvin

Khun Kao Charuad
04-23-2002, 12:33 PM
I understand that I may not be posting this in the appropriate forum, and I apologize for that in advance. However, I wanted to let everyone know that Lloyd Irvin, the head instructor of Lloyd Irvin's Martial Arts Academy in Camp Springs, MD (just outside of Washington, D.C.) was seriously injured in a Judo tournament this past weekend.

Many of you forum members are familiar with Lloyd, if only by name. Many of us have been his students (or still are) or like me, have taught with him.

I don't know the extent of his injuries or the exact circumstances, but he apparantly has a pretty bad neck injury to the C-4 and C-5 vertabrae. I understand that he is able to move his arms and legs, though, so I am optimistic that this indicates that he will be able to recover from this.

Anyway, I hope that you all will keep him in your thoughts and prayers. If you have ever worked trained or worked with him, I hope that you will take the time to look him up and encourage him through this dark time.

Brooks C. Miller
"Khun Kao Charuad"
SuriyaSak Muay Thai Club

red5angel
04-23-2002, 12:43 PM
Sounds like he was doing what all of us do and had done what could happen to us all. Give him my best wishes on his recovery.

JWTAYLOR
04-23-2002, 12:47 PM
I've never trained with him, but I've heard nothing but good things about him from anyone who has.

Much love.

JWT

Stranger
04-23-2002, 12:47 PM
:(

Very sad.

I wish him a complete recovery in minimal time.

Black Jack
04-23-2002, 01:21 PM
Sorry.

I wish him and his family well for the future.

Peace

Mutant
04-23-2002, 01:29 PM
Thats aweful luck for him, very unfortunate.... I certainly wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Merryprankster
04-23-2002, 07:53 PM
Lloyd was in good spirits when I visited him on Monday. He is experiencing some tingling in his left arm. There was some concern about fracture near the C4 and C5. He has ruptured his C5 disc, and they have described some spinal swelling apparently.

For the Judoka, he was hit with a Khabarelli Pickup. I didn't see the tape, but Lloyd described the nature of the injury and said it was an over the back grip throw. He also said the guy was Russian. Rhadi was there today and he talked about it a little bit, and I said "it was a Khabarelli, wasn't it?" He seemed a bit surprised, but said yeah, that's what it was.

Lloyd took the entire impact on the top of his head, rather than getting a chance to tuck it. For those of you who know what a khabarelli is, he took the combined weight of two people plus the velocity of the throw directly on his head.

By the time he's out of PT... I'm sure he'll be ok. He'll probably also have a neck the size of Rhadi's legs :)

Water Dragon
04-23-2002, 08:11 PM
Oh wow, that's terrible. I'll definately say a prayer for Lloyd and his family. Taking a fall like that is one of my worst fears as a martial artist. I read about this first on NHB Gear and it made me shudder.

DelicateSound
04-24-2002, 01:19 PM
That's awful - man I hope he's OK. Prayers and thoughts to him and his folks.

I'm always touchy about my neck, and this kind of thing is my worst nightmare.