PDA

View Full Version : Offshoot of Ironfist's rant

Sharky
04-23-2002, 07:04 PM
Don't you just hate it when, in the gym, you see someone doing an exercise totally wrong? OR when they MAKE UP an exercise that they think benifits them? Or when i see girls work their abs (incorrectly) for 20mins non stop doing like 400-500 situps thinking they are gonna lose weight (and i also know that if i showed them how to do a PROPER crunch they wouldn't be able to topple 20 of them)? Or people lifting silly amounts that are too much for them?

Do you ever get the urge to tell them that what they are doing is complete wank, but realise that it would be YOU that looked stupid? You actually care, you actually want to help, but KNOW that you would look like an arrogant tw.at?

Or is it just me?

I have to put my hand up and admit that i'm not the best, fittest person in teh world (no, really, i'm not) but don't you think it's stupid and ignorant of some people to bother going all the way into the gym and not reading up, or researching on what to actually do when you get there?

Oh and ironfist, i DO appreciate you long ass posts, keep it up bro.

So anyway, is it just me?

I just tend to keep my mouth shut and get on with my own thing. But then i feel bad. It's just cos i know these people are gonna hurt themselves, or give up after a couple of weeks.

TjD
04-23-2002, 07:27 PM
your definately not the only one

i cant think of anything to help them either :( worse off is the fact theyre probably in the process of injuring themselves for now, or for later in life

sucks

peace
trav

ged
04-23-2002, 07:45 PM
yeah, know what you mean. i have the same problem at kung fu... if im doing a jong or something with someone, and i see something that (i think) theyre doing wrong, i find it hard to say anything without sounding like an aroggant idiot. maybe because im sick of those guys who come in and after 2 months correct everything that you're doing because theyve had a years experience at karate. best way, i find, is to say something like 'for ages i had this problem while doing this, i was doing it like ____ (and act out the same flaw that they're doing, but exaggerated). then (a huge guy/sifu) came up and showed me how to do it properly, like this.... it really helps'

that way, if they have 2 brain cells they know they've been corrected, but it doesnt sting as much?

just my thoughts.

yu shan
04-23-2002, 09:01 PM
I hear ya Sharky, think I`ve seen it all. I should have taken notes on all the exercises I`ve seen "made up" or just plain booger`d . Could make a funny blooper show.
I have really wanted to help these people, but training in inner-city gyms, you learn to keep on the DL.
A problem I have when traveling or using an uptown gym, are these folks that get on a station or work area, and plant themselves. You ask to work in and they give you the stare! Ah what do you mean work in? If I had a dollar for everytime, we`re talkin Hawaii!
TjD has a point, you want to help a guy that is squating so bad, but , there is Always an ego gym rat that saves the day.
Ged, in my younger years I used the same approach, isn`t it funny karate=expert, tkd=ego, sorry I could go on.
Ironfist, I`m an old dog, but I appreciate your quality information, and humor, I`ve put some of your advice to work, always learning!

IronFist
04-23-2002, 09:37 PM
Let's not forget fratboy squats:

"Hey everyone, look at me!! I can go down 2 inches in a squat with 405lbs! When I scream really loud when I do it, everyone thinks I'm huge and strong! I'm a badass! You wish you were as cool as me! Now all my frat brothers think I'm cool, too!"

IronFist

Merryprankster
04-23-2002, 10:26 PM
I got a major kick out of that when I was doing full squats with 395 back as a shotputter.

Of course, the football linemen made me feel the same way when I was doing explosive partials with 540 and they were paralleling that :)

WarriorX
04-24-2002, 01:56 AM
People like that are one of the major reasons i hate going to gyms to work out, a couple of things that really wind me up are the folks who ask your advice and then ignore it while you are standing there,

the other is people in my MA classes who have been training for about 3 weeks turning around to there partners and telling them how it should be done ~ wtf is that about?

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that I really don't like people very much, and that the ones who ask your advice and really listen and take it in are very few and far between.

Neil

Kumkuat
04-24-2002, 08:21 AM
Hey, at least people use the squat rack for squats. The people here use it for curls. Man, that ****es me off when I have to wait for them to do 23424 sets of curls to failure to get their bicep pump or whatever.

guohuen
04-24-2002, 06:35 PM
Around here it's people jogging that don't have a clue. They run with their shoulders twisted or their arms in some rigid position or they run pigeon toed or in a duck walk. It's sad because they're just hurting themselves and they think their "working out". I've been watching this one group of middleage men run by my house for twelve years now. One of them gets more bent and twisted every time I see him. I'd like to shake him and say get a clue, but these are university personel so they already know everything.:(

IronFist
04-25-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Kumkuat
Hey, at least people use the squat rack for squats. The people here use it for curls. Man, that ****es me off when I have to wait for them to do 23424 sets of curls to failure to get their bicep pump or whatever.

Yes. I do not like waiting for people to finish curling in the squat rack. Now that I do deadlifts instead, there is usually less of a wait on the deadlifting platform, but still some people do barbell rows or something there.

I'm too tired to complain right now. Goodnight :)

IronFist

Spark
04-25-2002, 07:42 AM
Here are my peeves:

When I walk into the gym and someone is blaring Celine Dion on the Stereo. How the hell could anyone work out to that!?!?!

When you see someone lifting 300lbs and the bar is on a 30 degree angle.

When you walk into the gym and some ******* left 265lbs on the bench press.

AND #1 - When you walk into the gym and the #1 piece of equipment you were going to use is broken because some shytehead thought they'd be the hero and fix it, only to make it worse and make it useless for two weeks.

Ford Prefect
04-25-2002, 08:12 AM
I don't really care what other people do. I just do my thing and look at the hot chicks.

tri2bmt
04-25-2002, 03:59 PM
I second that Ford!