PDA

View Full Version : Being a Library geek pays off!

straight blast
04-23-2002, 11:17 PM
I joined my local library today. I was cruising through their computer indexes and found 56 books on martial arts, and about six purely based on Wing Chun. Not to mention a book by William Cheung comparing JKD to WC that I have wanted to read for ages.

Libraries kick ass!

PHILBERT
04-24-2002, 10:39 AM
Lucky b@stard. I've been to about 6 libraries and so far, the only good books I've found on MA were Tao of Jeet Kune Do (both versions, the Bruce Lee version and the John Little version) though I don't think them TOO good. And a book by Dr Yang, Jwing-Ming on Qi-Gong for the back. That's...about...it. And yes, comparing those to the other books I've found, those ARE the good books. Most of them were Karate for sports, Tae Kwon Do and something by Billie "The Bam" Johnson.

diego
04-24-2002, 04:08 PM
i live in vancouver bc, we have i think the third or fourth largest chinatown in northamerica, thats why we have many kungfu books and videos"striaghtblast did you look at thier videos:p " in our libraries!.

popsider
04-25-2002, 05:07 AM
Trouble is most wing chun books aren't worth reading if you've done more than 6 months in the art.

I like some - like the David Peterson WSL book because I think that gives you something even if you already know what wing chun is - even if you are still struggling to do it :) I'm sure there are other books like that - it is just that is the latest one I bought.

Instructional books tend to be the worst. I think a good book could be written about wing chun in the 50s and 60s - maybe recall some stories and recollections from well known sifu and how their thoughts about the art developed etc. I mean I know a bit about lineages I've trained in but I've no idea about people like Moy Yat and so many others - not to mention non yip man stuff - they are just names to me.

Trouble is it isn't the sort of world where people will co-operate and the market for a big book on wing chun is probably restricted to the people on this message board.