PDA

View Full Version : Considering Immortal Flat Dummy

AdrianUK
04-24-2002, 06:29 AM
Hi All

I need some serious informed advice. I am thinking about getting a dummy, not for the dummy form (I am not there yet) but for general footwork drills, checking I am moving around the centerline correctly, and flowing through shapes etc. I have limited room and money. Living in the UK means a lot of the recommended dummy sites would charge about $200 for shipping so they are out. Immortal have a flat dummy for £195 ($350?), would it be a waste of money to go for this or should I save longer and wait for the freestanding at £375 ($570?). So what do you guys think ?

Heres the link to there site

http://www.immortal.co.uk/flat.html

Thanks

yuanfen
04-24-2002, 07:00 AM
Save your money and buy a good dummy...specially since you are not advanced enough yet. For a reference point for footwork use
standing telephone or light pole or a goal post till you are ready for dummy work and for gettinga good dummy.

chi sau
04-24-2002, 10:55 AM
dont bother mate
you d do better to wait and buy a decent wooden dummy and if you shop around you can get one for about £350 i paid £250 anout 6 years ago but they have gone up since then
i used an immortal that my mate has and it didnt feel good at all
and since the difference in price isnt that big ,save up n get get a good one
take it easy

AdrianUK
04-25-2002, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the replies

stuartm
04-25-2002, 04:39 AM
Even better - build one while you are learning. Youll get a lot of satisfaction from it and will probably be a lot better than the ones you buy. Loads of great plans on the web. Built mone - cost about £140 all together - and its fine.

Good luck either way !

Stuart

Ludeviews
04-25-2002, 04:47 AM
There's a guy down in Brighton that apparantly makes good quality dummies.

Haven't seen them though....

Contact me off list for details.....

AdrianUK
04-25-2002, 06:54 AM
LudeViews

How do I contact you off list ?

wt_disciple
04-26-2002, 12:42 AM
:p Has anyone tried the martial arm by immortal? If so, is it any good? Is it made of quality material?

wt_disciple

Haggis
04-29-2002, 06:36 AM
Hi All,

I have 2 dummies, one wooden and one of the freestanding Immortal ones. One of my friends has the flat one.

IMO, the flat one is a waste of time. Once you get onto the form, it will be useless, as you will have to strike the corners.... Hanging it isn't trivial either, they are quite heavy.

The freestanding dummy is actually quite good, especially if space is an issue in your home. The energy / feel is a little different from your "standard" live dummy, but none the worse for it.
Even at your stage, dummy practice of basic techniques is helpful.

By saving a little more cash, you'll get a "live" dummy, which is probably the best of all, but the freestand is a good compromise.
I'd recommend one. (even though I have a decent wooden live dummy, I still use the freestand one)

Cheers,
Haggis
:cool: