PDA

View Full Version : On the subject of protein

Silumkid
04-24-2002, 08:35 AM
OK, I promised some research to refute the "20-30 gram max" myth...to start, the "top protein reseacher" I referred to last time was one Dr. Peter Lemon. I haven't done the search but some of his research may be available online.

One particular paper I wanted to reference was presented at the 2001 Annual ACSM Meeting...in this paper, Pikosky and associates reported that a high-protein diet (3.6 versus 1.8 grams/kilogram/day...for us yanks, that equals 1.63 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight per day)greatly reduced the rate of protein breakdown after exercise. Pikosky and assocs. used exercise of 75 minute run at 70% maximal capacity. This study was performed with trained athletes of varying weights.

So, what does this mean? Basically, at 1.63 grams per pound of bodyweight per day, a 150 pound athlete would need to be ingesting 244.5 grams of protein per day! At 6 meals a day this equals 40.75 grams protein per meal...quite impossible at the "20-30 gram max" that gets thrown around so often. Now, think about a 175 pound athlete....a 200 pound athlete...you start to get the idea.

ged
04-24-2002, 09:58 PM
kudos for the research. could you clear this up for me?

'greatly reduced the rate of protein breakdown after exercise.'

im not too good at biology... reckon you could explain this to me? is the protein referred to the stuff you've recently ingested, or the proteins in the your actual muscles? is this protein being broken down good or bad?
thanks if anyone can enlighten me.