PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins....

rjlohan
04-24-2002, 06:10 PM
I started Wing Chun the other day, so I thought I'd post here, and get involved, find out more about the style, and what not.

Howdy all.
:D

old jong
04-24-2002, 06:53 PM
We'll see if you don't regret it in some times! In the meantime... welcome and...Good on ya mate! ;)

rjlohan
04-24-2002, 07:19 PM
Regret what? Starting Wing-Chun, or joining these forums? :p

stonecrusher69
04-24-2002, 07:19 PM
Hi,
Who is your sifu from down under?

sphynx
04-24-2002, 08:11 PM
well welcome aboard fellow newbie,

funny you should say "and so it begins" , because thats what i have for my profile under length of training. lol. anyhow, these forums are a lot of fun. there are quite a few sifu's and advanced students who are great help.

good journey friend.

jeremy

rjlohan
04-24-2002, 08:19 PM
You guys'll have to help me out with some language here... :p

What's a sifu? Instructor?
I joined Jim Fungs Wing Chun academy. But I train with a more junior instructor. I've only just started, so I know nothing.

Thanks guys. :)

sphynx
04-24-2002, 08:40 PM
yep, sifu is "teacher". i dont really know if you need to be a certain level or not to be a real "teacher". i know my sifu is a black sash (second highest i think), working towards his gold. i dont take much stock in sash color though, and neither does he. really its quality that matters. not quantity. i do have some more advanced classmates teach me things, because class is too busy for us to each get all the attention. all i gotta say is learn well. and keep an open mind.

jeremy

straight blast
04-24-2002, 08:52 PM
Hey mate, good luck with the Wing Chun. I train under the Jim Fung system (on the Gold Coast) and they're really good up here. I've only met Sifu Jim once, never trained with him. I hope you get lots out of it!

The website is www.wing-chun.com.au

Not a bad site to have a look around. :)

rjlohan
04-25-2002, 12:00 AM
Thanks mate. :)
I've seen that website too - good info on there. That's how I got onto it actually.

I'm still sore from my first lesson... :p
It's been awhile since I did any real physical activity... oh how I wish I was still playing rugby, my muscles hurt... :( :p

red5angel
04-25-2002, 06:07 AM
Welcome aboard, some words of advice, dont mention lineage or you will got caught up in a firestorm of controversy. dont mention that you like the wing chun you are learning or you will get caught up in a firestorm of controversy. Dont mention your Instructuor too much or you will get caught up in a firestorm of ocntroversy. Dont mention anything involving win chun basicaly and you will be fine! :)

reneritchie
04-25-2002, 06:16 AM
Welcome to the club mate! Don't listen to red5angel, WCK people are a warm, embracing, considerate family who never let petty politics get in the way of a good party. (Just make sure you remember the secret hand-shake or you'll be Biu Jee'd at the door!)

Rgds,

RR

red5angel
04-25-2002, 06:18 AM
hmmmmmm, I must be studying the worng kind of wing chun.......

AndyM
04-25-2002, 06:22 AM
Hi rjlohan,

I sympathise entirely. I only started in Wing Chun 6 months ago. I started on KFO two weeks ago.

I can't say as I've learned much about either yet!

Please let me know if you figure it out!

Good Luck

Andy

byond
04-25-2002, 01:52 PM
lol.....hey ren....that has to be the funniest thing ive heard yet

rjlohan......in my opinion you have a great school. sifu fongs master is in my opinion one of the best living examples of yip man wing chun. and remember its all in your stance.

rjlohan
04-25-2002, 03:48 PM
Cheers people, and I have already been warned about the infighting re lineage and style... :p

Thanks. ;)

Axiom
04-25-2002, 05:15 PM
Hello stranger ;) Good luck with it from me too :)

rjlohan
04-25-2002, 05:27 PM
Cheers Har... erm... Axiom... ;)

yuanfen
04-25-2002, 06:40 PM
rjlohan......in my opinion you have a great school. sifu fongs master is in my opinion one of the best living examples of yip man wing chun. and remember its all in your stance
----------------------------------------------------------------------
lohan is learning from Fung not Fong but both TST and Ho Kam Ming are good examples of YM wing chun masters in the generation after YM.
I havent quite got the hang of the secret wc handshake yet..
so I get onto pseudo trouble often enough....but I recite a mantra with candles which a non wc student of mind used to mutter back in the 60s...something about illegitimi nunca carbondorum est etc etc... in jumbled latin mumbo jumbo... dont let the *******s (haramzadeh-s )get to you....it seems to ward off fleas in Arizona anyways and helped him in Minnesota legislative politics as a staffer..
To the guy in one of these threads who was beginning with A.Fong in Tucson...
good luck---you are in good hands if you listen carefully and practice regularly and keep on developing yourself..and dont take the internet seriously....there be some self puffed up virtual monsters there and .....read Ulysses.

benny
04-28-2002, 10:52 PM
good to see anougher aussie. good luck on the training

rjlohan
04-28-2002, 11:00 PM
Cheers mate. :)
Newcastle I see - lucky bugger... :p
Wish I still lived up on the Central Coast - I miss the beach... :(

benny
04-29-2002, 10:09 PM
i hear choi shun tin is in aus again. is he doing any seminars. we
also have a jim fung school here. The instructor and mine are old school friends so we are probably the only rival ving tsun schools that do activities togeather. W e also had the first joint school lion for a parade Im sure in the entire world( they were missing a few people and we helped, i was the tail).
see ya